Skip to content

Discuss This Ducati: Lease price limit means lower spec machinery MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Ducati: Lease price limit means lower spec machinery

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Ducati: Lease price limit means lower spec machinery

A 1m Euro (£830,000) cap on the cost of leasing a MotoGP bike in the future will make it impossible for Ducati to deliver the same high level of technology featured on its existing customer bikes. To ensure MotoGP is more affordable in the future for independent teams like Tech 3, Gresini, LCR and potential new entries, factories could be forced...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (09 March 2012 16:51)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
hugelean

Oct 07

hugelean says:

Motogp teams need to work harder at sponsorship at the end of the day 1m dollars, euro or lire, is so small an amount in terms of global gdp you'd need a team 0.5 to see it on the global balance sheet... Must work harder. Standadize the ecu?? the teams will still find a way to win by spending the most... honda with a cf bike started in november wouldn't have a bike on track yet neither would yam. Ducati are doing a fantastic job, will fight for the podium from the first race without question, though I suspect only just, if you take a proper look at the testing.. At the end of this season we'll have a better idea of how good ducati's idea of a twin spar bike is... Like judging honda on their first 800 or Ducati or their 4th 800....

Reply to this Topic
revnev7

Oct 11

revnev7 says:

I`D PAY THAT.

1 million lira,that`s about 3 quid ain`t it?

Reply to this Topic
doohanfan

Jan 12

doohanfan says:

the good of the sport

wosidog

The current leasing cost of satellite bikes is unsustainable, and until someone comes up with another idea I support the CRT formula.

I do have  some scepticism though regarding the current grave concerns among some rossi fans about the evils of honda and yamaha, and whether these concerns would be as great if valentino was still on a factory yamaha or honda.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

Is Moto GP saveable???

After I read an article about the lease cost of moto gp bikes now and teh new regs to be decided for 2013, I dug out the old season reviews from 04 and 05 to have a watch. Just what has happened to moto gp in 6 short years that has dragged it down to where it is now??? Back then when the old 990 formula was in its prime, you had more bikes on the grid, all four Jap factories taking part with at least a pair of bikes, closer races, a championship where satellite bikes COULD win races, and back then lease costs of machines were the million euros/pounds they are thinking of returning the cap to now. Since the ill-fated switch to 800's (thanks Honda...) the bikes have been saturated with electronics to make up for the capacity loss, a single make trye reducing the spectacle and contrary to the aims of the class, winners taking victories with huge margins and big gaps across the front 4 across the line. Can you see where Im going with this, looking back we had it good, now the electronics are here, they will be here to stay, its like the internet once its there you cant really take it back. I fear they will never recapture the good old days, they are having a crack with CRT, but like F1 the rule makers and factories over complicated things for themselves and changed too much and cant find their way back, when you in a hole... stop digging eh.... !!

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

redracer

MotoGp will always excist but in what form we'll have to wait and see. The excesses of the past decade or so (the biggest boom in history) have led to many changes in the world of motorsport but more importantly life in general. The only thing that will screw MotoGp is the continuing world wide downturn............................which will affect EVERYTHING. Blue Riband racing will always be around to some degree.  

PS.....Wosi, it was Friday so fish 'n' chips with bread and butter (smoked Haddock found in the freezer 'by accident'  on garlic bread from the night before and homemade chips. Deelish :smile )

PPS......I completely agree with 'doohanfans' last paragraph.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
GilR

Nov 09

GilR says:

Moto GP has become a people magazine

Where did all the racing go? I here more coming from the mouth of people who rule Moto GP, than the actual riders. Except maybe Casey Stoner (ex Fukushima fiasco lol). I look at Moto GP and I think 1. It is a TREMENDOUS waste of money (Carlos Checa won the Superbike championship with a bike you can buy for 135 000 euros. The same bike that is around 2-4 seconds from a Moto GP bike) and 2. That these hectic changes in regulations looks more like something BOB the builder would do, than an actual plan to assure the future of Moto GP. If Honda, Yamaha and Ducati want to leave the championship because of a "sort of, but not exactly" plan to save costs, they could just go into World Superbikes. It would surely cost A LOT less expensive and they could develop their more user relevant technologies. The gap between MOTO GP electronics and WSBK electronics isn't that much anyway.

Reply to this Topic
racingfan99

Oct 10

racingfan99 says:

There will always be a premier class of bike category – the level of it ebbs and flows through the years with regard to the excitement and thrill of the races to the personalities and characters in the sport. We just happen to be in a time period where the worlds economy is suffering across the board affecting almost everything to a degree. We also have a poor number of bikes on the Motogp grid, a decreasing number of teams on the grid. Even the bike industry seem to be having to walk away from its own premier class and on top of all that with Rossi not up at the front and the tragic loss of Marco; the truth is Stoner, Pedrosa, Spies are fast riders but they just do not have the ‘magic’ ingredient that attracts much main stream media and this is what is needed to keep sponsors interested and to keep the sport popular.  Things will change and eventually improve again but at the moments we are just in the doldrums and not a golden age, sadly the premier class produces the poorest races, thank god for BSB and WSB!

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Even the bike industry seem to be having to walk away from its own premier class and on top of all that with Rossi not up at the front and the tragic loss of Marco; the truth is Stoner, Pedrosa, Spies are fast riders but they just do not have the ‘magic’ ingredient that attracts much main stream media and this is what is needed to keep sponsors interested and to keep the sport popular

Lawson (boring) but a multiple WC and a winner aboard 3 makes. Rainey (boring) but a multiple WC. Doohan (boring) but a multiple WC. All 'boring' riders but guess what.....................the class is still alive! 

I'm guessing your'e a product of the 'Rossi era' bud. No moaning when he was winning was there ;).There was life before him and there'll be life after him. As for the 'premier class' producing the most boring races.....................the best beating the best at the pinnacle of the sport. You call that boring despite being a 'racingfan'?

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

Reduce the electronics I say this is what has killed MotoGP as a spectale how many good races have there been answer that ?

Reply to this Topic
thestig08

Dec 08

thestig08 says:

lease a ducati ?

On current form who would want one at any price? Rossi is expected to improve but Hayden ? Is it me or do they not expect anything better from him ,should he not be as fast or nearly as quick as Rossi and equally responsiblr for input and development ? He is paid and a former world champion ? get rid of the pair of them and start again with a hungry pilot, It couldn't be much worse and they would save millions on wages,Biaggi or Checa could do better

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices