You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Hit by a bus

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

Hit by a bus

As title suggests I was hit by a bus, bus company admits was their fault, we've all heard it before "didn't see him" (all my gear is white and i was on a shiny spotless 04 600rr) anyway just want to know the process if anyone's been through it, i don't feel that anyone has my interest, the company representing the bus company contacted much faster than people set by my insurance company and they're telling me about mitigating my losses, i've told them im going with honda for assesment and repairs don't trust anyone else, but they've said if my insurance company choose a hire bike place(as i used my bike for everything no car licence so i get to work on it and need one) thats higher cost than what they can get if it goes to court basically they're go after me for the difference, and im an under 25, live alone and don't have any money so they can come at me for whatever they want i don't have anything but naturally just worried about that as i don't care who is used i just want a hire bike, my insurance company have sent one thats a completely different riding position to sportbikes which i have ridden my whole life so im going to change it anyway.

Any advice welcome! (maybe you've been through this before and made a mistake with something it'd be a nice heads up for the warning!)

Also i now have to declare this for 5 years, so any help on how not to get my insurance to go up like a bomb like i think it will would be a big help

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (11 March 2012 12:26)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Hit by a bus

Hi brmore,

Sorry to hear your bad news.  The bus comany's representative is trying to intimidate you - don't have any of it.  I assume you have legal cover with your insurance - don't accept the lawyer appointed by your insurers.  They don't pick the guys that's best for you, they pick the company that pays them the biggest commission to get the job.  You have the right to select your own lawer and it will still be covered by your policy - don't accept any bull on that point either. 

Contact the forums legal expert ACIC, he will guide you accordingly.     

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

i had a similar accident last autumn but it was car that 'didn't see me' not a bus... anyway, i declared it to my insurer on my new bike and it went up 60 pound a year... which while being shit.. isn't too bad. Also, your courtesy bike should be like for like.. so get them to send u a 600cc sportsbike asap! get a claim in and turn down the first offer.

Reply to this Topic
RobCBR600FS

May 10

RobCBR600FS says:

Change your legal rep to ACIC

Just to reiterate what has been said before - change your lawyers as soon as you can to Andrew Campbell, Bikelawyers (ACIC on here)

I went with the insurance supplied lawyers (Fletchers Solicitors through MCE Insurance) and they were SOOOO slow and unhelpful it was unreal, changed to Bikelawyer and it is like comparing chalk and cheese.

The liability saga is still ongoing (it will be one year since the accident on the 17th) but the better the representation you get at an early stage the better off you'll be - it doesn't cost you anything to switch lawyers.

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

As far as I'm aware there's no contest, they've already admitted fault, but they were arguing that im liable for the difference if they can find cheaper hire charges, but i spoke to the people taking my claim and they said they've logged that i have spoken to them about it and its not true they pay for everything as they're at fault, i have lawyers for the personal injury side, but im not sure about altogether, but im most worried about insurance;

The quotes im getting on comparison sites are 4x higher than what i was getting without putting on an accident, can I make the 3rd party(bus company) pay for that somehow? it's not just one company they ALL hike it up that much, and barley afford TPFT at my age, im under 25 on 600cc+, i use bike to get to work im worried i won't be able to economically ride as won't afford insurance? seriously...cheapest 2100 a year for TPFT declaring a NON-FAULT accident???(garaged, good postcode, clean full licence etc)

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Insurance

You should not be out of pocket in your personal claim and that does include normally worked overtime. I proved that for the previous 13 weeks I'd been doing 16 hrs a week overtime (but that ended a day or to after my crash, I was rearended) so although, had I been able to work I would have got no more than 5hr a week, insurance paid me my overtime & my firm the difference between SSP & my basic 40hrs.

Sorry, but I don't know about a 'loan vehicle' so can't offer advise on that

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

your insurance quotes seem obscene.. i was 24 on an R6 with a declared accident that wasn't my fault (as stated in my previous comment ) and my insurance only went up slightly.. i am paying 650 quid a year...and i have 3 points on my licence..

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

insurance

Yea my insurance is B rated postcode(only A rating being better for low crime), locked brick garage(which is actually part of the house structure and open into my room, so your in the garage and i'll know), TPFT no extra's for breakdown or gear etc, clean licence(full), no pillion cover, 14kmiles a year and only declaration was a slipon, so no engine performance increase(has to add over 5% with current insurer before it classes as increased)

with all that and NO accidents declared etc I was still paying £1100 a year, with accident declared(non-fault) it's minimum £2100 and my insurance company is the only one to even give me a quote, the rest are unquoteable??

comprehensive is minimum £3600 a year with non fault accident declared...

perhaps anyone knows of companies that are better that are less known or perhaps not as prominent on all the comparison sites or not on tv etc etc...

on another note today i called people doing my claim and they mentioned i hadn't used their assesor yet, i told them ages ago im using honda to assess my honda, so now they say that means they'll have to end my hire agreement, so now another day has passed that i have a hire bike i don't want so now i need to phone the people representing the people i got hit by to arrange if i can use the same dealership for bike hire as well and cancel my hire with my own company, thought they wouldn't be such twats considering they're representing me...but oh well..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

hire bike

Possibly a small win but contacted people im claiming against(post above at the end says why) and I may now be getting a GSXR750 :eyebrows: always wanted to try one, not many 21yr olds riding gsxr750's (i've had full licence unrestricted since before 21, long story) so yea if i bought a bike under 1000cc and above 600cc i'd probably go for the gxsr750 so this will be nice to try...just gotta double check they do mean a gsxr750 and not gsr or gxr or some other cock up I can see happening.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices