Skip to content

Discuss This Audi poised to buy Ducati General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Audi poised to buy Ducati

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Andy Downes  says:

Audi poised to buy Ducati

German car giant Audi has until mid-April to decide if it wants to buy Ducati as part of a exclusivity deal according to insiders. MCN sister title CAR magazine has revealed Audi (which is part of the massive Volkswagen Group) is likely to make the decision quite quickly and its thought the firm will pay just over £700million for the iconic...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 March 2012 10:25)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bulld01

Aug 09

bulld01 says:

RidgeRacer HRC Comment

RidgeRacerHRCsays "Audi R8 tuned by Ducati Lol, i fail to see how much in common the two companies have apart from the prestige factor of both companies, i can only see this as a way in which Audi/ volkswagen to get a motorcycle company under the umbrella after the failure with Suzuki :)" I know what they have in common, overpriced and under whelming, Vorsprung Durch bored now !!!!!!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

What?

How can both Audi and VW be in the market to buy Ducati, since they are part of the same conglomerate?

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Ducati's future

Ducati have some cracking bikes in their current line up but why are they so heavily indebted. Have they recently expanded and money is just waiting to come in to pay off their expansion or is it a more fundamental problem? If it's the later AUDI might be interested in the prestige of the brand but they'll immediately want to cut expenditure. This isn't a bad thing in itself but it could spell short term issues for Ducati.

Reply to this Topic
adriankingsley

Nov 05

Audi and Ducati together - great idea

They both have motor racing heritage and are progressive in their views of motor technology. It worked when Audi bought up Lamborghini, now sharing the engine with R8, bringing down development costs for Audi, as well as the profitabal Audi business helping to fund Lambourghini, which in turn brings a halo effect  to the VW group.

I would buy a Ducati from an Audi forecourt, but first they need to manage the franchise dealerships, to move to co-branding. But it's definately a rub-my-back deal that would work for both customers and business.

PS. as long as they don't shove a diesel engine in the Ducati...

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

It's all ego

I don't think that VAG (VW Audi group) are buying Ducati for economic reasons.  This is pure politics.  They always want to make life difficult for BMW and this will allow them to compete directly in an important  sector that Audi/VW have been absent in hitherto.

Bear in mind that VAG buys well known brands like oligarchs buy overpriced football stars - Bentley, Seat, Skoda, Lambo.  Alfa Romeo is next.

It's pure hubris.  Think greedy rich kid buying up all the toys just to stop anyone else having any.    

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Board meetings could be a hoot  - "Vorsprung durch nah, it's a lucnchtime, then we hava da snooze, you crazy guys"! The offsrping from this little tie up could be very interesting indeed...................Diesel Diavel anyone?

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

Sorry, that should read lunchtime, got fingers like sausages today.

Reply to this Topic
mikehisc

Jan 06

mikehisc says:

Strange. I ride a Ducati S4R and the cars I have problems with out on the road are mainly Audis. Especially cocks in A3s. But then if their injection of cash strengthens Ducati....why not.

Reply to this Topic
hfevo2

Aug 04

hfevo2 says:

I bought an Audi A5 quattro last summer - the car is fantastic - far better built than my last BMW - but the biggest surprise was the service. BMW is good but Audi is something else :

The attention to detail is unbelievable : everything is done to perfection starting with the appointment time "bring your car in on Thursday, your appointment will be at 08:20". ( note, "not around half past eight" but 08:20 ). When you get your car back you get a phone call asking if everything was OK  and then an Email just to check. It's actually over the top.

I've had similar experience at two different dealers in Britain but the service standards are set in Germany. Having lived there for five years in the 1980s I can believe it.

I don't know how relationships are going with Lamborghini but I doubt whether the Italians at Ducati can possibly live up to the standards Audi will expect as a matter of course : sadly, the relationship will probably end in tears - or a transfer of Ducati production to Germany.

Reply to this Topic
plotino

Mar 05

plotino says:

So the story is always the same: you are a smart italian designer that when thisns get really bad at home, you sell to a german company who after mixing it all up properly passes it over to some american-jewish corporation. Only, this time  it is India in the middle

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices