Skip to content

Ask an Expert eurotunnel or ferry? Touring & travel

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > eurotunnel or ferry?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

madmorgan93

Mar 12

madmorgan93 says:

eurotunnel or ferry?

i know this is probebly a commonly asked question but im planning my first trip abroad and i was wondering which is the safer option for my bike, eurotunnel of a ferry?

and are some ferry companies better than others?

any experiences, bad or good, will be appreciated!

cheers!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 March 2012 12:28)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
GixxerDream

Nov 08

GixxerDream says:

P & O

I use the P & O ferry from Hull to Zeebrugge. The journey is fine but the best piece of advice i can give is take some of your own ratchet straps. All we were supplied was some blue rope from P & O. The crossing was a little rough and in the morning all the rope had come undone. Luckily the straps i took kept the bike upright.

Reply to this Topic
Budda1

Jul 09

Budda1 says:

Tunnel or ferry

Hi

We have used the ferry on several occasions it takes

about 2 to 2.5 hrs for the crossing, you can have a breakfast on board and use the crossing as a break.

if you need to get acrost quickly then the tunnel is better if not a little dearer.

we some times  travel to Albert in france for long weekends,it's in the centre Somme & we stay at the Ibis hotel.

we are going to use the tunnel this year.

But its all good fun:biggrin:

Where are you planning to go and for how long?

Budda.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Here's my threpence

I've posted this a few times now, but:

I love the Euro Tunnel, I just love it.  I think every time I've used it I've pulled up, self checked in, and it's offered me the next crossing, no extra charge.  I went last year on it at end of July, returned start of August, £70 return.  I think that's pretty good.  I've never had to queue up as long as I have for a ferry.  No fannying about with strapping your bike down.  No dicking about getting valuables etc and carrying them around for 2hours.  No having to remember how to get back to you deck where your bike is.  (and just for me, no sea sickness!)

Only downside for bike riders is there's no seating and the floors are obviously dirty, and not much to look at - still, it's only 30minutes or so.

Reply to this Topic
madmorgan93

Mar 12

madmorgan93 says:

Eurotunnel

I'm only going down as far as Paris but I've never taken the bike abroad at all! I'd heard bad stories of bikes falling over on eurotunnel and also on the ferrys as well. I'll probably opt for the eurotunnel this time seems so much easier, just hope I can remember to stay on the right (wrong) side of the road!

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

falling

I've never seen a bike topple over on the tunnel.  Worst that happened to me was a harley rider with an alarm that kept going off because of the motion.  You have to park in gear on the tunnel train, and as a result same harley rider promptly fired it up straight into the back of me!

Reply to this Topic
ninjachica

Jul 08

ninjachica says:

Depends

It really depends on where you are setting out from.

If you are in the south anyway, the tunnel is fine.  If you live oop north, then the break on the ferry will be welcome.

Reply to this Topic
Whiskeyjack

Oct 07

Whiskeyjack says:

Euro tunnel

We are going to Italy 1st week Aug,£70 rtn.Liverpool to Ashford,35min tunnel then Reims for the night.Personal choice,but I would rather stay with my bike.Its the only one I have..lol.so feel better knowing Im there to watch it..
Have a great trip:smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices