Skip to content

Ask an Expert Want to get a bike (19) Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > Want to get a bike (19)

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

remsheep

Mar 12

remsheep says:

Want to get a bike (19)

Hi I've been driving for nearly 3 years, but I'm looking to getting a bike. I'm 20 in april and I was looking on the direct gov website about the new rules. On the back of my drivers licence it says FKP and code 122.

I did my CBT about 2 years ago so I'm assuming its expired and will have to do it again now. 

What I'd like to know:
Do I need to apply for a motorbike licence?
Under the new rules in 2013, do I still have to learn on a 125 or can I just the A2 test on a little bit bigger bike.
And if I still have to do it on a 125, where do you recommend I get one from. I've been looking online around my area and there are no used 125's only new chinese ones.

Thanks for you help, Zak.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (12 March 2012 22:09)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

do your restricted licence quick before it changes if i were you

Reply to this Topic
remsheep

Mar 12

remsheep says:

hi thanks for your reply. My friend said you don't need your own bike for lessons. What is the average price for a lesson with their bike. I've emailed a few places as im at work.

Also could anybody tell me what mod1 and mod2 are for ?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Here's

a link from a local school which simplifies the various licenses and laws as much as poss.

http://lightningpass.com/law

Reply to this Topic
remsheep

Mar 12

remsheep says:

I've read up its clear now. Going to do my cbt again and try theory. Aiming to have a full license in the next 2 months

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

I passed my CBT last Sunday (yay).

Going to ride around for a month or so on my CBR125 and then take my Mod 1 and 2 tests, just to get them out of the way before the new rules come in.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"then take my Mod 1 and 2 tests, just to get them out of the way before the new rules come in"

Nah, just so you can get a bigger bike.:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
remsheep

Mar 12

remsheep says:

I did my CBT on Sunday but I tried to book my bike theroy but it won't let me. Do I have to apply for a provisional bike license aswell? Am I even allowed to have done my CBT if I only have a full car license?

Reply to this Topic
DazzleRebel

Jan 12

DazzleRebel says:

Car license

Unless its changed in the last 3 years I did my CBT then bike theory under my full car license before progressing to my DAS the following week.  I don't ever remember having to apply for provisional motorcycle license but then I am 30 so things might have changed since I did my car test 13 years ago.

Best thing you can do is do an internet search for DAS instructors and call up the one with the best reviews, they'll be able to point you in the right direction.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices