Skip to content

Discuss This Seen any horrible potholes? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Seen any horrible potholes?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Seen any horrible potholes?

It's that time of year again when the roads warm up after a hard winter and promptly disintegrate. The latest survey of local authorities reveals that despite emergency government funding of £200m, two thirds of authorities can not afford to mend the current crop of potholes. Perhaps even more worryingly, the survey by the Asphalt Industry Alliance uncovers the fact that 20%...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 March 2012 17:09)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
cmc1

May 08

cmc1 says:

SPY SHOTS

I haven't seen any pot holes. I've been to busy looking at Spy shots of new Triumphs.

Reply to this Topic
JustChillOut

Jul 09

JustChillOut says:

Nice idea but...

£200m - Wasn't that was for last winter (which was much more severe)?
The truth is that almost all council money is allocated fulfilling statutory responsibilities before the year starts. This includes running schools, elderly care, social services, highways etc. Once essential highways repairs have been done there is very little left over. So which school or care home would you like to close to 'divert' funds to resurface your favourite ride out? (At a minimum of £150k per mile).
Every authority would fix every road before it breaks up if they could afford to (and I wish they could). The best thing to do is report potholes to the local council. If they fail to act on it in an appropriate way they are liable for any damage that occurs as a result. BUT -  if you don't tell them they cannot take responsibility. If you want to tell MCN too then fine but MCN headlines won't fix your road.

Reply to this Topic
Harry44

Jun 07

Harry44 says:

Can anyone explain speed bumps to me.

Pot holes are dangerous but bumps are "safe"

How can this be true?

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Be careful what you wish for

Pour some orange paint in them, call them "road calming dimples", job done.

Personally I'm minded to give in and go for an F/G650GS.

Reply to this Topic
giancola

Sep 03

giancola says:

I know of one massive pot hole, the UK, it's just one seriously messed up pot hole.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Could be worse

Here in the hinterland of Iowa we have gravel roads with foot deep washouts in places - convinced me to buy a Yammie TW200, and will be looking at either the Kawasaki KLR650 or the BMW G650GS Sertao.

Reply to this Topic
boybilly1967

Dec 08

boybilly1967 says:

Should read 'have you hit any large potholes'.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Just an idea

Every day thousands of illegal immigrants smuggle themselves into our country strapped under lorries, taped to the back of buses and hidden away inside glove boxes so they can come and claim thousands of our English pounds from our Government from revenue taken from US paying road tax and the like. Lets face it, the money we spend on road tax obviously dosen't get spent on the roads so lets assume they just give it away to anyone who can fill in a benefits form.

Why not just open up the borders and say to them " your all welcome as long as you bring in a wheelbarrow full of tarmac and fill in a pothole on your way". Before you know it Portsmouth would have the best roads in the country and as the little foreigners headed North the roads would suddenly become as smooth as a babies bottom.

They wouldn't mind coz they get the money back they spend on tarmac from benefits, which is the money we spent on the road tax for the roads in the first place, genius!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Fix

Filling potholes is just a temporary fix.  To really improve the roads, often all the pavement and base has to be removed, the underlying soil improved, and drainage added.  Of course this is more costly up front, but less expensive in the long run.

Reply to this Topic
brmoore

Jul 10

brmoore says:

roads

Surely in this day and age somebody's made some sort of new road surface type that lasts longer grips better and withstands the weather for longer...

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle