Skip to content

Ask an Expert just got my first big bike, any riding tips? Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > just got my first big bike, any riding tips?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

just got my first big bike, any riding tips?

i passed my A2 license last july and i got my bandit 600 on saturday, by sunday my restrictor was fitted and i went out for my first ride with my dad following closely behind on his fireblade, i had a moped for 3 years and ive had a car 3 years so im not a total newbie to riding/driving but this is alot different to a moped obviously.... i was just wondering if any more experienced riders could give me some tips as im going to be commuting up the motorway in rush hour for the first time on my bike so any tips would be apreciated massively

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (13 March 2012 23:50)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
smidget

Nov 07

smidget says:

morpheusking

Don't listen to Jaffa he's still high on Easystart.:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

smidget/meatloaf

ha ha, brilliant :biggrin::lol::lol::lol::biggrin: 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
dmwj80

Mar 12

dmwj80 says:

Riding tip

I think most important is to always ride with Helmet:smileCheck Tyre and other accessories regularly before going for ride.And I think beginners  need lot of practice before going to motorway

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

when you do go on the motorway a big bike will be fine at sitting at 70mph. and dont creep along at very low speed as most other cars ect will bedoing 70mph.

remmber to wear that gear you have and carry an over sutie if you are wearing leathers so if it does rain you wont get wet. and once you get use to the power of a big bike from a 125cc then you be fine

Reply to this Topic
DazzleRebel

Jan 12

DazzleRebel says:

Beware of White Lines...

...I'm not talking about Charlie but the painted strips between lanes.  When you get your confidence up and start filtering through slow/stationary traffic don't ride on the painted lines because they are slippery (even more so when wet - no Bon Jovi jokes please).

Keep your eyes on how the traffic is moving and beware of indications (not just indicators) of other vehicles trying to move lanes.

I've had a baptism of fire on the motorway after my car gave up the ghost in January and I was forced to use the bike to commute.  It's scary at first but take it easy and build up your confidence and ALWAYS act as though everybody is out to kill you!

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

motorway riding

Be alert at all times

keep checking what's going on up ahead, to the sides and behind.

Give yourself plenty of room between you and the vehicle in front, leaves you good safe stopping distance and plenty of time to react.

Look out for other road users that have bad habits, mobile phones, reading maps, driving too close etc etc.

Keep out of three abreast situations, another words don't box yourself in, always have an escape route either to the left or the right. (riding along side a lorry is a big no no, when overtaking a lorry, hold back and wait until you can get past quickly and still have enough distance to the vehicle in front)

Finally if the weather is bad, heavy rain or fog, i wouldn't even bother getting my bike out for a motorway, far too dangerous.

Hope this helps. :smile

Take care.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Wow

Some great advice above.

For motorways I'd say, always remember: bikes don't stop as fast as cars.  CofG too high, fear of locking can can get in the way too.  However much room, leave some more!  Bikes don't swerve so easily either, especially at speed, no lean - no turn, you can't just grab a wheel and haul it round, you're basically on a torpedo, so think on.

That said, I prefer the space of lanes 3 or 4 for on the M60.  Lanes 1 and 2 are far too full of dosing commuters joining, leaving and diving between lanes, which in my book renders them more dangerous, not less.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

some great tips above :)

thanks alot keep them coming. i like the tip about not boxing yourself in at the side of lorrys, ill watch out for that one and make sure i dont! the one about slippy white lines when filtering was news to me aswell as i assumed theyd only be slippy in the wet so thanks :)

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

thanks alot keep them coming. i like the tip about not boxing yourself in at the side of lorrys, ill watch out for that one and make sure i dont! the one about slippy white lines when filtering was news to me aswell as i assumed theyd only be slippy in the wet so thanks :)

Reply to this Topic
morpheusking

Oct 11

morpheusking says:

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices