Skip to content

Discuss This Gresini admits love for racing affected by Marco Simoncelli death MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Gresini admits love for racing affected by Marco Simoncelli death

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Gresini admits love for racing affected by Marco Simoncelli death

Italian MotoGP team boss Fausto Gresini has admitted his love for motorcycle racing has been affected by the tragic death of his star rider Marco Simoncelli in Malaysia last October. Simoncelli was blossoming into a major MotoGP star both on and off the track when he lost his life in a second lap incident during the Malaysian Grand Prix on October...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (15 March 2012 12:01)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

My point is this...

peddling stories post humously is unnecessary and I point a finger at MCN here.
Let the guy rest in peace, some memories fade and some stay. Marco has a place in many hearts and I feel the continued journalism is playing - preying upon emotions.

I admire Pasini a lot, for his dreadful 250 season and the dignity with which he maintained a professionalism while his bike continued to fail, and for his refusal to play to the medias tune and answer questions about Marco - in his (paraphrased) words 'the best way to remember now is to stay silent'.

This article serves little purpose other than the keep the spotlight on Gresini. Did he ask for the situation or questions... no I doubt it very much, so I blame synical journalism looking for sensationalism in thier stories by 'playing the marco card' when Gresini is interviewed.

Just an opinion.

Reply to this Topic
YamahaGYTR

Sep 11

YamahaGYTR says:

No taking the piss on what g is this elbow dude really getting on your head.

Reply to this Topic
princeofrepsol

Mar 11

Kato was the better rider

Daijiro was definately a better rider than Simoncelli, he was a real loss to the sport.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

The reality is..

There were people affected by Simoncelli's death on many different levels. The majority of people never knew Marco and possibly didn't even see him race, some people rocked by his death may have not have even watched the sport. 

But we can all understand the way the events of last October would have decimated his family and close friends emotionally, and we can attach our own feelings to that loss, adding to the collective grief. 

The fact that Gresini was interviewed and the subject of Simoncelli was mentioned cannot come as any surprise to anyone. Marco's death was only a few months ago and feelings are still raw - I would have more sympathy with your point of view if we're still discussing this subject in a similar vein 3 or 4 years from now, but not 5 months later, you can't expect him to deny those feelings. 

I for one will watch the GP's this year with a hint of sadness that there's no number 58 flying around. It's a big loss to the sport we love..

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Its not about...

non-disclosure agreements or people not speaking of him.

Its the flipside whereby articles are created - or paid-for materials - which hang on the tails of celebrity and prosper through others grief. The top-dogs at Honda paid a wonderful tribute at the Sepang test by celebrating the guy through thier quite and respect 'moment' at the corner of the incident.  The media dont have the same level of respect and allow a subject time-to-rest, rather they will ask the questions that will make the money/sell tabloids etc.

But - can I assuem we have agreement that this season is poorer for not having Marco, the same as any road that is missing a rider that is killed - whether you or me or him or her, its not limited to GP Stars we all feel the pangs for every rider thats killed through no fault of thier own.

And we also have agreement that sometimes death is used as a commercial opportunity.

Reply to this Topic
CHRainmaker

Jul 11

CHRainmaker says:

Chris

We're coming at this issue from differing angles, but I think the bottom line is, we agree that without Simoncelli this season's GP's will not be as rich.

Reply to this Topic
jamieg999

Jul 08

jamieg999 says:

I think about all the mates I've lost before I mourn the long, long, long list of riders/drivers/co-drivers/mechanics/marshals/spectators and wildlife that have been killed

I still think about a mate killed in France on his new Fireblade back in 1996 when he hit a van head on with a closing speed of about 150mph. I got to see the photos too. I wonder if my influence led to him taking his test and buying the bike. I think about all the other lads I've known who've thrown 7's too. 

I watched the Marco Simoncelli crash live and have watched it a fair few times since. Ditto Ayrton Senna, Stefan Bellof, Roland Ratzenberger, Dale Earnhardt Sr, Gilles Villeneuve, Daijiro Katoh, Craig Jones & Shoya Tomizawa and what limited footage exists of Henri Toivonen and Sergio Cresto's fiery demise and I think the only way is to accept, then move onwards and upwards.  

What I see is young lads/men, dead, dying loving what they do at the top of their game. To focus on one would neglect the others. In some ways saying GP's will be less rich for Simoncelli's absence is highly disrespectful to everyone else who has given their all in search of victory with a motor strapped to their arse.

As for cashing in, welcome to the 21st century, I'm sure if he was english Royal Doulton would have created a nice plate in his honour.

Reply to this Topic
Chilliesauce69

Aug 11

Deep conversation guys.  I like to read peoples sensible opinions and there has been here. 

I look forward to the new season and hope like all of you on these forums that the new season/bikes brings a bit better racing than the majority of the 800cc bikes did. 

Reply to this Topic
chrisg011

Feb 09

chrisg011 says:

Jamie

See where your coming from mate and agree with you - 'every sperm is scared' to quote the monty python song.

Cashing in should be left to Bad News and christmas (to quoteth another old old song) but yes, its modern life and a shitty part of it. Doesnt stop me from feeling saddened by the fact though!

Right, now who remembers Bad News?
They were class haha

Reply to this Topic
PaceyCasey

Jun 11

PaceyCasey says:

Benny

... he didn't mention Kato.

Maybe the interview & questions swerved towards Marco?

I get that bud, but not even a 'reference' brings out the cynic in me. 

As 'Jamie' posts..............................................'welcome to the 21st Century'.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices