Skip to content

Discuss This Willie G Davidson retires General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Willie G Davidson retires

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Willie G Davidson retires

Harley-Davidson's Senior Vice President Willie G. Davidson is retiring after nearly 50 years as head of styling. The 78-year-old grandson of one of the company’s founders, William A. Davidson, will stay on as a Harley ambassador and keeps the title Chief Styling Officer Emeritus. It's thought he will be involved in occasional special projects. Willie G said: “Throughout my life, I...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 March 2012 12:06)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

Oh they still had designers? I thought they just never stopped producing the models designed in the 70-80s :)

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

Good to see him go

He's been holding the company back IMO.  Maybe now HD can move forward, possibly doing something that appeals to a younger crowd.  It's ok to see some traditional model styling, but they need to branch out a bit.  Now is the chance.

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

aah a joke

lol styling thats got to be a joke now all they need do is get rid of the guy in charge of quality control and engineering and then they might make a bike that doesn't fall apart oo look there a flying pig

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

aah a joke

lol styling thats got to be a joke now all they need do is get rid of the guy in charge of quality control and engineering and then they might make a bike that doesn't fall apart oo look there a flying pig

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

aah a joke

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

damn it 3 times the truth

sorry mcn went nuts and posted it 3 times

Reply to this Topic
CosherB

Apr 06

CosherB says:

people actually agree with me on this one!  this guy was head of styling for 50 years, and nothing appears to have changed in that time.  painfully derivative styling, old fashioned engineering, epic prices.  the V-Rod is the exception to the rule, but H-D need to start developing bikes with fresh ideas, rather than keep churing out a million bikes from a common book of themes.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Proudest Moment?

This was one of Harley-Davidson's stying efforts under Willie G.: www.motorcycleclassics.com/uploadedImages/articles/issues/2009-01-01/Confederate2_resized600X400.jpg

A celebration of slavery?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Replacement?

What would either Pierre Terblanche or David Robb do that would be acceptable to the Harley-Davidson faithful (and it is indeed almost a religious faith) that expect a motorcycle that looks like it was designed before 1970?  Neither the XR1200 nor any of the bikes with the Revolution engine have been accepted much better than the Aermacchi "Spaghetti Hogs" were four decades ago.

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Steady hand on the tiller

Why would Harley want to appeal to a younger audience?  Yoofs don't have money, especially at the moment, so where's the incentive?  They're just after killing off Buell, I don't see them going hog wild (ho ho) to produce a Harley Jnr range.

Can you imagine the advertising: "Introducing the new Harley Squid - just as expensive, but not as dull and heavy and badly made as the geezer models that actually make us all our money." ;)

Full disclosure: I wouldn't be totally adverse to a Harley Sportster, even on UK roads.  I'll get me chaps.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices