Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

ChrisJet420

Mar 12

ChrisJet420 says:

Help finding a 125cc

Hi Guys,
I'm looking for a 125cc to learn on.

I have a budget of 900 pounds to spend on the bike.

I am after a reliable sports bike but anything considered really. No scooters though:smile

I love the look of the Cagiva Mito and the Raptor.
Honda NSR has caught my eye too.

Thanks for reading guys :tongue:

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (19 March 2012 16:23)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Budget 125

Hi Chris,

Don't limit your choiuce of bike.  Do a search for 125's local to you that fall within your budget and pick the best one based on condition and a good history.  If (when) the bug takes you, you will not have your 125 for long so it's more importatant that it is reliable and easy to learn on. 

You can be more picky with your choice of second bike and third bike and fourth bike and..........   Well, I'm sure you get the picture. 

Oh!, I nearly forgot - avoid anything Chinese as it will fall apart underneath you. 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

If you're looking for a very cheap short term 125, I'd actually go for a cheap Chinese import. Yes, they'll fall apart eventually, but they're perfect for abusing for a few months whilst you work up to something bigger.

Personally, I actually went for a new CBR125 as I plan on keeping it for a couple of years.

As MarcusMash says though, it's a very personal choice so if you don't have anything in mind, look on Bike Trader (or similar) and search for the things that are important to you (FSH, Mileage etc)

Reply to this Topic
ChrisJet420

Mar 12

ChrisJet420 says:

budget

Hi guys, Thank you for your advise!
But if I get a Chinese bike and throw it around for a few months while I find means of buying a bigger bike won't I find it difficult to sell an abused Chinese bike? I know I wouldn't. I have been on Pit bikes before and owned a few decent mopeds. But whenever I do a search for 125cc in Essex on Gumtree I get CG's, ybr's . cbf's or over priced 50cc's. LOL the only decent ones are just out of my price range for the moment.:upset:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Budget 125

If you go for a Chinese machine you'll need to factor in some extra maintenance / repairs as their reliability is not as good as Japanese & European stuff.  You should also not bank on recovering anything for it when the time comes to move on to something bigger/better. 

A Jap 125 should be within you budget if you keep looking.  Try biketrader.co.uk

Reply to this Topic
ChrisJet420

Mar 12

ChrisJet420 says:

budget 125

Nah I really don't want to buy a Chinese bike, why buy a bike if you know its going to be bad. Waste of money in my opinion :shock:
What are the Japanese bikes like? thats yamaha and kawasaki isnt it?
I tried biketrader but no luck as of yet.

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

Japanese

You can never go wrong with Japanese...

Yamaha's YZF125 is sporty looking but more expensive, YBR125 is less sporty looking but cheaper.

Same goes with Honda's CBR125 and CBF125.

Kawasaki have a couple of 125's I think but I'm not familiar with them - pretty sure they don't have a sporty 125 though. Best low powered bike though is probably the Kawasaki Ninja 250R, but obviously it's a 250cc machine so you'd need a full licence for it.

Reply to this Topic
Project90

Jul 07

Project90 says:

rs 125

try a used aprilia rs 125 might find 1 for that price, obviously every 1 will preach there not reliable ect but if there warmed up and fed decent oil they will last as long as needed. obviously if there approaching 10k miles they will require piston and rings soon, so look for 1 thats just had it done or few miles on.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My advice

get (accurate) insurance quotes on any machines you're interested in - this'll be the biggest sticking point.

Avoid sportsbikes type machines: if its a first / learner bike, you'll almost certainly drop it leading to very expensive damage (fairings aren't cheap, as my boss just found out! More on this later).

At £900, you're not going to get the cream of the crop, so two-strokes are probably best avoided: many will have been previously abused (the RS125 needs rings and liners every 6000 miles, budget a couple of hundred quid, double that if you get it done by a workshop), synthetic 2T oil at £15 / litre. Running it on a shoestring (as many will have been) leads to engine seizure. If you go down the two-stroke route, you best be handy with a spanner. On top of that, some 2T bikes will need restricting to comply with CBT rules (14.6 bhp), and many will have been chuck down the road (ie crashed).

If you want a reliable bike, Honda CG125 or Yamaha YBR125, whilst not being the best looking, are both cheap, insurable and reliable with loads of spares available.

Why to avoid faired (sporty) bikes: I bought a Fazer 600 2 weeks ago, had it parked up at work, and our mechanic accidentally hit it with a van. Result: broken fairing (its a half-faired bike) £323, fairing mount £90, smashed headlamp £151, the usual selection (mirror, indicators, broken footpeg & hanger, bent brake pedal, scraped bar end, rear panel, alternator cover etc). Total bill: £1,246 (yep, you read that right, one thousand, two hundred and forty six quid!). Bloody glad the firm's insurance are footing the bill for that one.....

Reply to this Topic
ChrisJet420

Mar 12

ChrisJet420 says:

budget 125

AdieR, thank you for the advice, I agree but I have to say I dont want to be settling for a YBR or a CG. I dont like the style of them that much, my friend rides a YBR and I hate it. Its underpowered like heck.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

YBR

"underpowered like heck".

Most 4-stroke 125s are, they're designed to comply with the 14.6bhp CBT rules.

The 2-strokes may have more power, but they'd have to be restricted to the same output (failure to restrict it means void insurance policy, plus points & fines if Mr Plod pulls you; "driving otherwise than in accordance with your licence").

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices