Skip to content

Ask an Expert First Restricted bike. Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > First Restricted bike.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

First Restricted bike.

I apologise if this has been posted before. essentially I am looking to upgrade to a bigger bike from a 125. Haven't seen many 250's on the market (£2000 budget), so i thought I would get a restricted bike.

Have seen a few I like, but at the moment have narrowed down to two:

1997 Yamaha Thundercat 40000 miles

1997 Suzuki Bandit 600N 10000 miles

both are about 1400. Anything I should watch out for and is one clearly better than the other? Any other bikes I should keep an eye on?

Thanks!!!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (20 March 2012 00:53)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Depending on what you want to use it for

You might be better off with a younger bike.  Around the £2k gets you a 2006 CBF500, which being a twin restricts very well.  My lad's will be going for a fair bit less as it has a dent in the tank and is ready for new tyres, but Honda finish and build of that era is very impressive, insuring a 500 is cheaper, and it's a great ride.

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Restricted bike

The general opinion from those who have ridden them is that twins restrict better than fours.  I believe that it is down to the characterisitcs of the engine and they way they make their power.  A four-pot bike feels more 'strangled'. 

As bbstrikesagain says, look for something like the CB500.   

Reply to this Topic
asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

Thanks

hmmm... ok, food for thought. Thanks for your help!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Check also

SV650 and Kawasaki ER5 (your budget may get you an early ER6 if you look hard enough).

Don't forget the cost of insurance / security etc - have you accounted for this?

A lot depends also on your (planned) use: if you spend much of your time in town, a big bike might be hard work; if you plan to do motorway miles, wind / weather protection may be an important factor.

Reply to this Topic
asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

Adier

An ER-6 would be awesome, I really like the look of them. The bandit is now looking more likely, as like you said, I took insurance into account and it was over a grand for the Thundercat!

Reply to this Topic
asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

Use

Also meant to say, use will be annoyingly mixed. generally around town, but also "commuting" between Uni and home on the motorway

Reply to this Topic
asteronnelar

Mar 12

asteronnelar says:

Use

Also meant to say, use will be annoyingly mixed. generally around town, but also "commuting" between Uni and home on the motorway

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices