You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Mental illness and insurance

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

Mental illness and insurance

should i tell my insurer about past mental illness??
hi

You may know i am a nutter. well thats certified.

Before i apllied for my provisional licence my DR wrote to the DVLA so they know about it, as a result they only gave me a 3 year licence.

I got my licence 2010. Since then i moved back into the community and im happy and settled. The men in white coats definatly wont take me back.

I sent my licence off so it now has my current address on it.

Doing MOD1/2 If i can get inusred on the bike i want (KTM 690 SMC) 

I have done different comparison sites with different bikes and the KTM is only 100 quid more for fully comp insurance than my 125 which is only TPFT.

At no point did i come across a disclaimer just a queation on "Have you declared any illnesses to the DVLA"

There have been no questions on mentall health or anything like that.... 

SO LEGALLY where do i stand. If they dont ask and i dont tell them am i in the clear?

If i make a point of telling them will my insurance premiums rise significantly??

Its already costing me a grand to insure my dreambike
the KTM. I can afford this bike.

I dont see any problem as i have been stable and in control for at least 5 years now.

If they increase my premium is it discrimination?

Insurances is built on that though isnt it!!

PS i live in quite a rough area.

Thanks very much for any help on this...

JAWA

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 March 2012 17:56)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Hmmmmmm

Not sure if you would have to decllare your medical history.......

.Do you think you'd get a discount if you said you were agoraphobic??????:biggrin:

Sorry!

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

If DVLA

know, then its probably best your insurer does too - especially if you are on medication.

Whether it would affect your premium is something you'd really have to ask your insurer.

Reply to this Topic
checkity

Nov 11

checkity says:

DVLA

Hi,

I work in insurance and I can tell you this regarding medical conditions (but this is true with many other things). 

Quite simply, if they don't ask you don't need to tell. From an official point of view, they've waived their right to that information. This is dependent on the particular insurer not excluding it under the terms of their policy (see their Policy Wording for this).

The best thing to do is to ask your insurer. Many insurers will simply ask whether the DVLA have been made aware; if they are aware and are willing to supply you with a licence then it's all ok.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices