Skip to content

Ask an Expert Selling - Test Ride? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Selling - Test Ride?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

1966splitty

Mar 12

1966splitty says:

Selling - Test Ride?

Hi, i'm thinking about selling my first bike (virtually mint, less than 14k, GXSR 600 SRAD) - i've just bought a GSXR 1000 from Ebay. The seller let me have a test ride (after keeping the cash, naturally) and i am insured to ride other bikes.

Just made me think....if i'm offering a test ride, which i think is only fair, what sort of things do i need to cover my arse? The sale is going towards the cost of my new bike!

Do i need to check they have insurance first?  I can go with them on my 1000 but is that normally done? What happens if they crash? Are they liable? If i'm not with them, how can it be proven?

I think the basic premise of the post is - what is the best and safest way to offer a test ride when selling a bike!

Many Thanks

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 March 2012 19:56)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Any test pilots

need insurance and a licence, and cash.

It'd be a good idea to take a note of a test riders details (if they're on your bike, then you don't want to pay fines for speeding etc - or indeed worse). As a cautionary tale, my dad sold a car some years back, and the buyer used the car the following day in a ram-raid...

Also, if you are selling from home, be aware there are people out there who will come round to "look" at your bike (what they're really doing is sussing out where the machine is kept and the security arrangements), only to return later to steal it.

Reply to this Topic
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

cash

insist cash is handed over first. Then technically they have bought the bike in the eyes of the law and so any liability has passed to them, it can always be handed back if they don't want to go ahead. It is ilegal to knowingly let an uninsured rider go off on your bike. Plus if they wreck the bike it is theirs and no longer your problem. Or you could take them pillion to show the machine runs ok.

It technically is a bit of a gray area if they wrack up a load of speeding tickets until the DVLA has transfered ownership. I would gt them to sign a declaration saying the date and time they bought the bike in case you later run into problems.

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

selling

All good advice,when i sell a bike i have a meeting place away from home and take a mate.

If you know of any faults tell them their in the price.

Only let them ride pillion but they should take your word for it.

Only show documents when cash is in your hand with a bill showing time date of sale and signed.   

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Test Ride

I wouldn't let anyone take test ride, I always take them for a run on the pillion, there are a lot of crooked bastards out there and I wouldn't trust anyone! also insurance wise it would be dodgy, if it was stolen or they crashed it you wouldn't have a leg to stand on. You will know yourself if your bike runs and handles well and you should be able to confidently sell the bike in this knowledge.(you should impart this to the potential buyer)

You are obviously an honest and fair guy and sometimes it can be easy to think most people are like you but beware! also remember some of these guys can show up with forged documents ie. Certificate of Insurance etc so even with checking things like this you can still get caught out! 

Take no chances mate.

:winkie:   

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Remember

Nowadays a lot of 3rd party cover for riding other bikes is only valid if the other bike is already insured for someone else, e.g. its owner.

In other words, if you don't have cover for your SRAD any more, then my "any bike" 3rd party cover won't cover me to ride it either, so if I test rode it in a public place I'd be uninsured and illegal.

Cash in full, confirmed identity (preferably licence and proof of address), sane buyer, valid 3rd party insurance all round, then yes, maybe.

Otherwise, its pillion only.  Best to sell while you still have cover, and tax.  Having said that I've bought some solid bikes with nowt but a thorough MOT style inspection and a run through gears and brakes on centre / paddock stand.

Reply to this Topic
1966splitty

Mar 12

1966splitty says:

Many Thanks!

Many thanks for all the advice, I think i'll revise the idea of offering a test ride and offer pillion only.

I've just swapped the insurance to my new bike so should really look into getting some sort of insurance on it again.

I guess now is the best time to sell it on - what wicked biking weather we've had this week!

Cheers to all who've replied.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices