You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Touring & travel > Riding through France

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

balders64

Feb 04

balders64 says:

Riding through France

:huh: In August this year I am catching the ferry from Portsmouth to Caen in France, then South to the Pyrenees. At the age of 48 it is my first time riding abroad & would value any advice no matter how little, on anything regarding the transporting of my bike on the ferry, to what are the essentials I need. Basically..... HELP! :smile 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (21 March 2012 20:45)

Post a message in Touring & travel

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

France

Welcome balder,did this 20 years ago,

Passport,

breakdown cover,

headlight yellow,

G.B. sticker,

extra bulbs,

foldable warning triangle +first aid kit,(did not bother)

very small container of chain oil and 1/2" paintbrush,

toothbrush.

underpants

socks 

place your gloves under the anchor strap going across your seat when they secure your bike.

The crossing was 6 hours so have a lay down.

Remember to ride on the right hand side of the road,more so after stopping for a break.

before any roundabouts stop and watch how the traffic flows,

we avoided tolls and rode through the country.(some yorkshire blood in us).

Any questions?

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

additions

V5, insurance, license,

I've never had a warning triangle, nor a yellow headlamp, nor a GB sticker, but I do carry with me a hi-vis waist coat.

toothpaste!

I went on that crossing once, was overnight and I got too drunk on Heineken which was on offer.  Felt shit the next day, so I wouldn't do that.

I think the most important thing is to relax and enjoy it!

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

oh, and another thing

after you get back, post back on here to tell us how it went, photos etc.  Things you'd do again, things you'd do differently, blah blah blah

Reply to this Topic
balders64

Feb 04

balders64 says:

Riding through France

:smileThanks for the advice fellas, at least I now have a starting point.

A couple of points to ask, do I need my own anchor straps or are the ferries suitable? Also i am using throw over panniers do I leave these on the bike?

Yes i will certainly share my experience when i return.

thanks again.

Reply to this Topic
Budda1

Jul 09

Budda1 says:

Riding in france

There are 4 of us on 2 bikes going to france in  August probably using the Channel Tunnel.

You,ll have a great time  if you have a tank bag put all your travel documents, bike insurance, driving licence, copy of your log book & passport in an plastic sealable envlope file this is easy to access, also wet gear and valuables etc. then when you leave the bike you can take the tankbag with you.

Keep some change in a handy pocket in case you use a toll road, also if you are going with another rider give them a spair key that.

Pack light and make sure the bike is evenly loaded. also check the bike over or have it serviced before you go

I travel with a back box, a pair of paniers , tank bag & the wife!! (well you cant have everything) :winkie:  

Safe riding Alan  

Reply to this Topic
Budda1

Jul 09

Budda1 says:

Riding in france

There are 4 of us on 2 bikes going to france in  August probably using the Channel Tunnel.

You,ll have a great time  if you have a tank bag put all your travel documents, bike insurance, driving licence, copy of your log book & passport in an plastic sealable envlope file this is easy to access, also wet gear and valuables etc. then when you leave the bike you can take the tankbag with you.

Keep some change in a handy pocket in case you use a toll road, also if you are going with another rider give them a spair key that.

Pack light and make sure the bike is evenly loaded. also check the bike over or have it serviced before you go

I travel with a back box, a pair of paniers , tank bag & the wife!! (well you cant have everything) :winkie:  

Safe riding Alan  

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

strapping

there are bound to be horror stories, but I've never had a problem with straps on a ferry.  You might want to take something to protect your bike from the strap that's all.

Reply to this Topic
nomad

Aug 02

nomad says:

Advice

After many years of touring Europe solo, 2up and with groups  I have  written some hints and tips mostly based on France, I now live and ride here in France so the information is relevant and up to date.  It can be read at http://www.ridersrest.eu/tips.aspx some idea of where to ride can be seen at Http://www.motomassif.info

Some of my own trips in a blog at Http://www.whereistonynow.co.uk

Enjoy your trip, once you have been you will never look back...  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
oliwoof

Jan 10

oliwoof says:

Pyrenees

Watch out for the priority to the right, especially when in towns and villages.  Carrying a breathalyser kit is obligatory from July 2012, with a 11€ fine for non compliance (though officials say there will be a grace period until Nov 2012).
If you are looking for somewhere to stay while in the Pyrenees, we offer B&B and tours with undercover secure parking, bike wash, drying room and workshop facilities Pyrenees Motorcycle Tours .:smile

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
decaylus

Jan 11

decaylus says:

Riding through France

Bonjour de la très belle france mon ami....and like the guys above say, relax and enjoy. France is one of the best countries to ride a motorcycle in, probably in the world, and I've ridden in most of them at some point or another. All of the above is good advice. I live & ride here in the south of France and I would advise you to keep an eye out for traffic "merging" from the right, especially in towns where they still have this stupid law that the only benefit is to the insurance companies of "Priorité à droite" or priority to the traffic coming from the right. So even at side roads they do not look before zooming out into the main road, so keep to the speed limit in towns and keep your eyes open. Something else to look out for is roundabouts.....Obviously they are the opposite direction to the UK, but many years ago here in france the priority was for the person entering the roundabout which meant that the person on the roundabout had to stop. Now it is the same as all of europe, but beware because the old men or "casquettes" can still enter a roundabout without yielding to the traffic on the roundabout....and if that traffic is you the consequences can be serious.  I would be careful with not overdoing it. It is so easy to find yourself riding day after day to a diffrent destination. This is very tiring, so find a part of france that you would like to visit and stay there a couple of days before moving on. Limit your number of hours on the bike and make sure to take plenty of breaks......and one last thing.....if heading to the south of France where it will be hot be sure and drink plenty of fluids otherwise you will dehydrate and be a very sick puppy indeed. Take water with you. Other than that.....je vous souhaite de bonne vacances..... and have a great holiday!!!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices