Skip to content

Ask an Expert Engine Guards on sport bikes Bike accessories

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Bike accessories > Engine Guards on sport bikes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

CostasM

Mar 12

CostasM says:

Engine Guards on sport bikes

I'm thinking of getting a sport bike around 600cc but that fear of dropping it and having to buy new fairing in Cyprus puts me off. I was thinking of adding engine guards or anything else that can prevent this but my question is, how effective these are and most importantly do they make the bike look ugly?
Do they turn a brand new sport bike into a used up old throwaway scooter.

Tell me what you think and what choices I would have on a CBR600RR

Thanks in Advance!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 March 2012 08:55)

Post a message in Bike accessories

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Costapacket

You can buy faring protectors, often called crash mushrooms. They will offer some protection although be careful which type you go for as some look likely to do more damage than the floor alone because of their fixing brackets are attatched to non structual components (I've seen them mounted to radiator brackets.... I kid you not).

Probably best to go on a bike specific forum and see what everyone else uses/recomends

Reply to this Topic
CostasM

Mar 12

CostasM says:

bike specific forum

Do you know any of these for the honda cbr600rr?

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Be aware

that there's a limit to the type and level of force that crash bungs will take; a drop is one thing, but if you chuck it down the road, you could still land up with an eye-watering bill - they don't save *all* types of damage, which is a key point to remember.

cbr600 forum here

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Safety

Your previous post was about safety whilst braking ie. ABS ,now its engine protection guards and you say you have a "fear of dropping it", maybe you'd be better getting yourself a car or one of them big bubble things and put the bike inside it! Try being less pessimistic!!! you will end up worrying yourself to death!!! 

:lol::lol::lol::lol::wink:

Reply to this Topic
CostasM

Mar 12

CostasM says:

Im a risk manager at heart :)

Maybe i am worrying to much but i like to take care of every possible scenario before it occurs, espesially if there is a significant probability of that occuring. 

I dont expect these guards to protect the bike in case of a crash, i just want it to protect against accidental falls. Thanks i'll take a look at the link.

But one last thing, in your opinion, don't guards make a nice bike look like crap?

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Crash Bungs

The crash bungs/mushrooms that have been mentioned previously dont take anything away from the look of a bike at all and believe it or not they can actually enhance things (my opinion), if you are going to fit a set though I would go for a good make like R&J, as well as having a good reputation these are normally made to fit specific bikes at crucial areas and are fairly simple to fit. Warning!! they can cost a few bob but worth it if you do happen to drop her!

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
fastasfuck123

Apr 07

Costapacket

Seems others hve saved me the trouble of searching for links etc, one piece of advice I would give if your concrened re bike falling over etc is that when you park your pride and joy leave it in gear.....should prevent it rolling off its side stand.

Also before fitting crash bungs/mushrooms take the cost of them into account. A local respray could cost you less than a set of them and considering certain ones will cause damage themselves, not fitting them could save you money in the long run

Reply to this Topic
stevebaldy

Aug 07

stevebaldy says:

you could always try these...

..might give you a bit of confidence....:unsure:

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Tell your insurance company of any mods...

I know it seems crazy but tell the insurance company if you are going to fit crash-mushrooms and if the bike is new you might want to consider buying the genuine Honda ones - Kawasaki ER6s had an issue with after-market ones that cracked their frames a few years back. There was an article not long ago in the printed MCN that explained that some racers are fitting crash mushrooms to reduce the damage when racing...

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices