Skip to content

Discuss This New bike tax rates General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New bike tax rates

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

New bike tax rates

Motorcycle road tax has increased by as much as 3.7% in the Budget. The rate has risen for all motorcycles except those up to 150cc. A year’s tax for bikes over 600cc will cost £76 instead of £74. Machines from 151cc to 400cc will be £36 a year, up from £35. Riders of bikes from 401cc to 600cc will see...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 March 2012 16:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

steady2wheels

There are 2 ways of paying off the structural deficit - taxes can go up or public spending can be reduced. This government has quite rightly chosen to major on public spending reduction with a smaller proportion from tax rises. We, as a nation, got used to living beyond our means before & now the day of reckoning comes. As I said before, if you think that you are worth a pay rise go & ask for one. I run my own business & what I say to my staff is that if they present me with evidence of what they've done to deserve a rise then I'll consider it. They need to have 'gone the extra mile' as I will not pay them any more this year than I did last year if they have only made the same contribution to the profitability of the business.

Reply to this Topic
Evogt

Apr 05

Evogt says:

Vehicle excise duty has changed. It seems for bikes its still a road tax and I'm happy to pay my way (if the money is spent on the bloody roads). For cars its now an emissions tax and why the hell should people get this tax for cars for free. As far as I concerned if you are using a motor vehicle on the road then you should be paying your way. Lets face we are all getting conned with all this green bullshit.

Reply to this Topic
JamesQGM

Feb 10

JamesQGM says:

danwells

Spot on. There were bigger issues with the Budget than this!

Reply to this Topic
oldhampete

Oct 06

oldhampete says:

pedantic

can someone please tell me when did the tax DISC become a disK,

Reply to this Topic
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

JamesQGM

Agreed. It was actually a very good budget given how little Mr Osborne had to play with. Removing many poorly paid people from tax altogether & reducing the immoral 'additional' 50% income tax rate were very positive moves.

Reply to this Topic
tris123

Feb 09

tris123 says:

get rid of em

Why not replace tax discs by sticking 1p on the cost per litre of fuel. Not only does everyone pay the correct amount based on their consumption but the tax payer saves the administration cost of tax discs, plus it saves us the hassle. Everything is computerised so you don't need a tax disc to know if a vehicle is insured or mot'd.

Reply to this Topic
jollyboy

Sep 11

jollyboy says:

tris123 VED is not about how many miles you travel it's a duty you pay in order to use your vehicle on the road at all, with increases based on some pretty arbitrary steps. If they really were concerned about engine capacity or indeed emissions it would be a sliding scale not a series of discrete steps. And be careful what you wish for. Changing the way taxes or duties are levied is something governments (and retailers) are keen on. It's very hard to compare what you paid last year to what you will pay next year when the means of levying a duty are changed. Likewise retailers like it as they can use any change in tax or duty as a way to sneak in an extra price hike and increase in profits while blaming the government. Last year I did a little over 12000 miles at about 45 to the gallon. At 1p a litre that would lighten my pocket by 120 quid, rather more than I paid in VED for the same period.

Reply to this Topic
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

Jollyboy

I agree with most of what you say but unless my maths skills have gone to pot I think that 12000 miles at 45 to the gallon would cost you £12 if VED was replaced by a 1p per litre levy. Certainly less than any of us pay in VED (12000/45)x 4.5 x £0.01 = £12

Reply to this Topic
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

Oldhampete

About the time progressive education was introduced in the 60s I guess

Reply to this Topic
bird1050

Nov 07

bird1050 says:

tax my arse

I own a speed triple ( see Left) and the emitions are less than the cars that pay nothing. What a fu*king joke.

Its about time governments started taxing us on emitions the same as cars, then the wa*kers would owe us money.

I agree that VED should be scraped and a 1p put on fuel, that way the more miles ( for the pc twats km ) the more you pay. Plus you cant aviod paying it UNLESS YOU ARE A THIEF.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices