Skip to content

Discuss This New bike tax rates General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > New bike tax rates

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Steve Farrell  says:

New bike tax rates

Motorcycle road tax has increased by as much as 3.7% in the Budget. The rate has risen for all motorcycles except those up to 150cc. A year’s tax for bikes over 600cc will cost £76 instead of £74. Machines from 151cc to 400cc will be £36 a year, up from £35. Riders of bikes from 401cc to 600cc will see...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (23 March 2012 16:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

bird1050

Emitions running a little high!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

The only way we can get the £0 road tax is if the CO2 figures are published, and I sure as hell don't want to know what the Daytona does cos its going to be closer to a 1.8L saloon than it is to a 1.0L supermini!

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Congestion

If all the single-occupant cars that carry essentially no cargo were replaced by motorcycles and scooters, the road congestion (not to mention parking) issue would mostly disappear. This would save more in CO2 emissions than a bunch of “green” cars that take up the same road space as other cages.

Also, motorcycles and scooters are much less dangerous to pedestrians and bicyclists than any car; therefore they are more socially responsible.

Reply to this Topic
Somersetblue

Feb 12

Somersetblue says:

Piglet2010

Just discovered the Font Colour icon? Car manufacturers seem capable of bringing out more & more fuel efficient cars on a regular basis. If you compare a 10 year old 2 litre diesel BMW 3 Series (when new) with the latest model you'll find that both power output & fuel economy are significantly better on the new model. Why can't bike manufacturers do the same?

Reply to this Topic
gsxr1969

Apr 04

gsxr1969 says:

@ garethfenn

Yep, I honestly get over 70mpg. Had a really bad accident 2 years ago, rolled my Ford Ranger over 3 times, end over end, was very lucky. I also live in Finland now which has the highest speeding fines in the world and zero tolerance from the police. So I drive pretty much at 50mph everywhere with very little town traffic. Prob is, when I get on the R1, it is near impossible to discipline myself to ride at 50mph everywhere.

Reply to this Topic
Bikewisher

Jul 04

Bikewisher says:

Pollute more than you think...

I know we moan about bike tax going up, but many of us benefit from free parking everyday and shorter commuting times. For the extra £2 I'm not complaining. On a side note, whilst it seems plausible a motorcycle is better for the environment (and thus we should have lower tax bands than some new cars), there's plenty of research material on the internet to prove otherwise. There's even an old Mythbusters episode that shows the comparison between car and bike emissions. For bikes tested the motorcycle used 28% less fuel than the comparable decade car and emitted 30% fewer carbon dioxide emissions (no surprise there then...), but they emitted 416% more hydrocarbons, 3,220% more oxides of nitrogen and 8,065% more carbon monoxide. Things will improve over time as manufacturers are fitting more models in their range with catalytic convertors. However it's still something to think about before we assume our fuel efficient bikes are greener than all cars.

Reply to this Topic
daemonoid

Mar 12

daemonoid says:

@Piglet2010 bikes much worse for pedestrians...

It's perhaps surprising, but motorcycles are much more dangerous to pedestrians than cars. From the dft stats (2010) 168 pedestrians ksi'd by motorcycles and 3,891 by cars. If you then factor in the miles travelled you get ~58 pedestrians ksi'd per billion motorcycle miles vs ~16 per billion car miles. I assume the reason for these surprising numbers are down to the prevalence of motorcycles in built up areas and pedestrians being unaware of filtering.

Reply to this Topic
zannoti

Mar 10

zannoti says:

road tax "my arse"

so the shit heads in power have hiked it up again,   well what could you expect from a bunch of mealy mouthed cunts like them. just more of the bloody same   from red  ,  blue  or  yellow for that matter,     heads  deep  in  trough  for  five  years thats  what  its  all  about with  these  bastards feathering  their own nests..  when  will we  ever just  stop  playing  this  silly  game voting  for this  shite in the first  place?     put  a  monkeys  arse  in  instead,       anything  but  give  that lot  another  chance to  shaft  us  ever  again....  wake  up  for  christ  sake  people....    and  in  the  meantime  get  some  of  your  money  back  by  not  paying  telly  tax,  fuck  em  off  good  style!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices