You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Tyres > FRONT TYRE PRESSURE LOSS

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

mpb1366

Nov 08

mpb1366 says:

FRONT TYRE PRESSURE LOSS

STRANGE ONE THIS. RIDING HOME FRIDAY ON MY GSXR1000 K8 EAST BOUND ON THE M2. THE ROAD WAS CLEAR SO I WAS MAKING PROGRESS AS IT WERE! ABOUT A MILE AFTER SLOWING DOWN I KNEW THE HANDLING WAS SHOT SO PULLED ONTO THE HARD SHOULDER TO FIND A FLAT FRONT TYRE. PUSHED HER TO A GARAGE 1/2 MILE DOWN THE ROAD AND CALLED THE AA. WHILE WAITING I CHECKED OVER THE TYRE TO SEE THE CAUSE, COULDN'T FIND ANY DAMAGE SO PUMPED THE TYRE UP TO SEE IF THIS HELPED IDENTIFY THE PROBLEM. AFTER AN HOUR THE AA MAN ARRIVED AND CHECKED THE TYRE FOR AIR ESCAPE- NOTHING! HE FOLLOWED ME HOME TEN OR SO MILES THEN WENT ON HIS WAY. HAVE CHECKED THE TYRE PRESSURE TODAY AND IT HASN'T LOST A THING, WENT FOR A QUICK BLAST AND STILL NO LOSS. HAVE BEEN TOLD BY A MAIN SUZUKI DEALER THAT FITTING ALLOY DUST CAPS, WHICH I HAVE ON, CAN CAUSE THE VALVE TO DISTORT AT HIGH SPEEDS CAUSING A DROP IN TYRE PRESSURE, HAS ANYONE HEARD OF THIS BEFORE? MY CONFIDENCE IN THE FRONT TYRE HAS GONE COMPLETELY. AS THE TYRE IS NOT THAT OLD WITH STILL LOTS OF LIFE LEFT I AM RELUCTANT TO BUY ANOTHER. ANY ADVICE WOULD BE GREAT. THANK

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (25 March 2012 13:31)

Post a message in Tyres

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
teamwindsor

Mar 11

teamwindsor says:

flat

Have never heard of alloy caps causing a loss of air. They would need to actually depress the valve surely?

Is the wheel itself alright. Any distortion preventing a proper seal?  - main reason I can think of is any particularly large potholes recently?

Reply to this Topic
mpb1366

Nov 08

mpb1366 says:

TYRE PRESSURE

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

THERE IS NO VISIBLE DAMAGE TO THE RIM, AND IF IT WAS LOOSING PRESSURE THROUGH A POOR SEAL WOULD IT NOT CONTINUE TO GO FLAT? THE TYRE HAS HELD CORRECT PRESSURE SINCE FRIDAY!!

Reply to this Topic
frazmataz

Jan 11

frazmataz says:

Could you

like TW has said have you mabey hit something on the motorway which has temporarily broken the seal?  Then when you reinflated the tyre itwould have resealed itself.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Alloy valve caps

causing deflation? Not one I've heard of either.

You say the tyre is fairly new: how long has it been on and who fitted it? Did you get new valves at the same time? What length of motorway run did you give it when you noticed? Just a thought, but maybe your problem is apparent with a certain heat level, on the other hand, maybe its been badly fitted to start with?

What tyres and pressures are you running with?

Reply to this Topic
cairnsie13

Jan 11

cairnsie13 says:

Has the rubber

around the valve not split and is leaking when the rotation of the wheel is causing the weight of the valve to pull on it causing it to leak. I Had an old mini where if you pushed the valve to one side it would leak as the rubber has perished same on my mates zx6. it might just want a new valve on.

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

Tyre pressure loss.

I agree with Cairnsie. My R1's rear tyre was holding pressure until I happened to prod the valve while cleaning the wheel. The valve hissed like mad from its base. Like your Suzuki dealer I blame the aftermarket alloy caps (previous owner fitted) which have a noticeable weight in the hand. They're now in the bin. Quite scary to think of it happening at speed due to centrifugal force.

Reply to this Topic
mpb1366

Nov 08

mpb1366 says:

TYRE PRESSURE

HAVE HAD THE TYRES ON FOR 4 MONTHS AND HAVE COVERED 4K ON EM. (PILOT ROAD 3). 100 MILES A DAY LONDON COMMUTE.

HAVE POKED AND PRODDED THE VALVE NOTHING HAPPENENING THERE.

DID TAKE IT EASY BUT 100 MILES MOTORWAY TODAY AND NOT LOST ANY PSI!

THINK I'M GONNA BITE THE BULLET AND PUT SOME NEW RUBBER ON, KINDA GOT NO CONFIDENCE IN THE FRONT END NOW!

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Reply to this Topic
mpb1366

Nov 08

mpb1366 says:

TYRE PRESSURE

HAVE HAD THE TYRES ON FOR 4 MONTHS AND HAVE COVERED 4K ON EM. (PILOT ROAD 3). 100 MILES A DAY LONDON COMMUTE.

THINK I'M GONNA BITE THE BULLET AND PUT SOME NEW RUBBER ON, KINDA GOT NO CONFIDENCE IN THE FRONT END NOW!

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Reply to this Topic
mpb1366

Nov 08

mpb1366 says:

TYRE PRESSURE

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Reply to this Topic
mpb1366

Nov 08

mpb1366 says:

TYRE PRESSURE

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices