Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: What if his mum is dead against our son riding? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: What if his mum is dead against our son riding?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: What if his mum is dead against our son riding?

I ride and my son (now 14) wants to ride when he's old enough, but his mum's dead set against it. He's a level-headed boy and we haven't had any bad experiences with bikes to influence us. What should I do? What's your advice? Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best advice in MCN. Got a question? Click here to...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 March 2012 17:38)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BillyBankrupt

Dec 10

In the same boat...kind of

I've been riding for a number of years and my son, who is 4, loves watching MotoGP and helping me out doing stuff on the bike. He's constantly asking to go on the back of the bike but he's simply not ready. However, I have looked into minimoto clubs and other ways of giving him a taste of bikes in a safe and controlled environment. If your son is keen on riding then that's great! I would suggest looking into minimoto clubs or other motorcycle related clubs/activities that he can do now to gain experience and confidence. By doing this hopefully his Mum will come round to the idea a bit more as well. Just one little note, tell him that when he gets his first bike it's not a great idea to rock up at home saying "Look Mum no chicken strips!!"....it doesn't go down well lol

Reply to this Topic
Fluffykins

Mar 12

Fluffykins says:

If you tell him he cannot! and you make the decission as a family to say no to him now. he might revolt when he is old enough to make his own decsions to go get one. I knw when i was young i was always told no. shortly after my 18th birthday i worked hard saved cash took my full bike test and got onto a zx6r which is a bike of plentyful speed.  I speach from experience when i say let him jump onto a 50cc then a 125cc and odd are he might grow out of it and get a car like most of his friends :D

Reply to this Topic
cdlacey

Jul 11

cdlacey says:

Be patient

Basically, while he is living under your roof (or his mothers roof) there is a degree of control that can be asserted. If you are old enough to risk your life on a bike, then you are old enough to pay rent ;)

I didn't learn to ride until I was 30. And considering how much of a lunatic I was in my twenties it was probably the right decision. I had numerous confidence exceeding ability near misses, and on a bike those near misses would probably not ended anywhere near as well.

I'm not saying don't ride, but the chances of serious injury in that age group for either bike or car is much higher, they still have the enthusiasm of puppies ;)

Reply to this Topic
prdh

Jun 11

prdh says:

How determined is he?

I have just passed my Direct Access at 28, my mother hates bikes even though my dad has always had them. I was given the opportunity to get a 50cc bike at 16 but i had to pay for it myself, i didn’t want to get a job so i didn’t at the time. Then I started driving and that took up most of my money. If your son is really determined to have a bike then there is not a lot you can do and he may do it without your help and guidance. Better in my view to talk it through with him and his mother and if he can’t be persuaded to wait then support him to do it right and carefully. Hope this helps, best of luck.

Reply to this Topic
Bikefar

May 08

Bikefar says:

Not just Mothers!!

Hi,

My Daughter would make a great motorcyclist and ridden pillion with me at home and abroad. Boyfriend has barred her from riding. Sheeesh...!

She is not wealthy and she has to give the little she earns to the bus/train company.

Reply to this Topic
nigelcollinson

Aug 11

Hand on heart..

We all know that we are better riders now that we are older. Tell him that he'll be a better rider with a few years of experience on the road in a car. It might be a different story with him mum when he gets into his 20's.

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

I revolted...

Mainly my Mum but my Dad was consistently against me having a bike too and it caused a major friction between me and my parents (otherwise I was quite a nice boy...). I had one 17-19 just because I am so pig-headed. I didn't want a car until I got to Uni when I suddenly realised that I needed a car to take a girl out (but it was acamedic as I had no money for one and had to sell the bike to pay of the overdraft..)

I have no advice to give other than be consistent and agree as a couple. Bringing up children is hard enough without letting children create arguments between you...

Reply to this Topic
JustBe

May 09

JustBe says:

hmm

My Mum always worries about me killing myself and says things like "don't come visit us, it'll be dangerous on a bike" just because it's village roads lol. However she bought me my first bike (Aprilia RS 125) and was just happy I was growing up and had my own transport. It was that or walking everywhere because I tried car lessons and I hated it, this was before I even took notice of bikes. Two years later of doing car lessons I hated (it made me feel like sea sick in a car) I realised it wasn't for me. I could drive fine, I just never put in for my test as I didn't enjoy it. It was weird though cause I didn't even know bikes existed really, I never took notice of them. My friend came round when I was 19 and I had a go on his bike and I was in love. It was what I was looking for and instantly took to it unlike a car. My mum was just happy that I finally would get out the house and maybe get a job, so she bought me a bike. I've given her good reason to be worried, I have a crash a year, I just love to rag my sports bikes and put my knee down and I always seem to crash in the winter lol. Crashed that RS 4 times and I've still got it and it works, everything is mint on it but it needs two bits of fairing. I got my GPZ and crashed that twice and I just spent the past few months rebuilding the engine on it as I had to do it as I got the money. I crashed my ZX6R last month trying to rag it on cold roads at night, the back just gave way on a straight and I somehow high sided... I love my crashes, they're fun and I've never been hurt despite having 6 or 7 high speed crashes and not wearing any protective gear other than a helmet. It's what makes bikes fun for me and if I die on it the nest time I crash I'll be happy I've gone out doing something I love. That said I really do not think bikes are ant more dangerous than cars if people ride them properly and not like myself who cannot ride a bike but still tries to ride like I'm in Moto GP lol.

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Justbe

To be older and wiser you first have to become older. I understand the invulnerability of youth and hope you have a great time on the bike. If you really want to rag the bike though try to see if you can afford a trackday or similar. It's usually when you get something wrong and hit an imoveable object (or heavy moving object) that the real injuries are sustained. Have fun but please be safe.

Reply to this Topic
stu_sp2

Mar 06

stu_sp2 says:

Always a tough one, my dads been a biker all his life, I started riding at 6 years old and had crossers all through my childhood, 50cc ped at 16 then a NSR 125 in Rothmans colours, my old man was frightened to death of me on it, although he'd always brought me up to expect the unexpected, and treat every other road user as though THEY HAVE NOT SEEN YOU, that way you'll struggle to go wrong, obviously at 17, I rode like a twat, like you do at 17, the bike would do a tonne with a tail wind, and would wipe the floor with any RS Turbos to 60, I was living the dream lol, but I got through it, flat out everywhere... Had a break for a while, joined the Marines, bought a car for travelling up and down the line on weekends, then got a 600 at 21, again the old man was concerned, but trusted me... had some close shaves, my fault, and its the risk you do take, but so has the old man, some are lucky some aren't. I'm 32 now and couldnt imagine life without the bike, the old mans slowed down a bit too, he's sold the Mille R and has something less committed, its true what others have said, you cant get experience without first getting involved, you cant buy it from the shop with your new lid, at the end of the day its his choice if he's old enough...good luck.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices