Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis

I crashed on diesel six weeks ago, I'm still waiting on the insurer to pay out on the bike. I haven't ridden since and my confidence has plummeted. I feel like this might be it for me and bikes. Can anyone offer any advice before I make a decision? • Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 March 2012 17:38)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bcroninuk

Mar 09

bcroninuk says:

Real biker now

U now have ur road rash badge! Get bk on the bike on a quiet road and just go for it. I have been off in the wet, black ice, disel, and two hit and runs! I am glad i have had all these as i am now a far better and far more alert rider!

Reply to this Topic
zephyrdave

Jul 08

zephyrdave says:

nerves

If you're still nervous go and see a local training school or IAM group. Explain what happened and ask for a bit of a refresher session. It might cost you a couple of quid but if it gets you back on your bike and happy with what you're doing then it's money well spent. Or go on a Bikesafe or Enhanced Rider Scheme course.

Reply to this Topic
Kilgore001

Mar 12

Kilgore001 says:

Building your confidence

Everyone gets into a few bad situations riding a bike - getting your approach speed to a corner wrong or mis-judging an overtake can dangerously reduce your safety margin and leave you a bit shaky. Good observation is the key - spotting hazards early and reacting correctly by changing your speed or road position can get you back to a safe situation. The problem with diesel or other road surface hazards is you often see them late and have little time to react correctly - you enter panic mode and grab for the brakes, the next instant you lock the front wheel, lose steerage and come off. Its tough - but you have to try and keep calm, keep traction and get onto a safe line to slow down. My advice would be to get back on the bike when the weather is good, learn from your mistake and work on your observing skills. After a few enjoyable rides your memory of the crash will fade - but try to remember to keep a good safety margin - if you couldn't stop safely in the distance you can see to be clear you're going too fast. If you need to react quickly to a hazard, try to stay calm - grabbing the brakes is often the worst thing to do. Some post-test training will definitely help you sharpen your observation skills and help plan your speed and position to keep you safe.

Reply to this Topic
GrazzerFazer

Feb 11

GrazzerFazer says:

Fall

Just get back on the bike and ring its neck you puff hahahaha.  Its happened to all of us at one time and if you thought about potential dangers you wouldn't leave your house in a morning.

We all have to go and when your numbers up, its up.  Better going through the pearly gates sliding on your arse with a fireball of a bike following you than with a feeding tube up your nose and an adult nappy on..

Reply to this Topic
gixxa630

Apr 11

gixxa630 says:

Man Up!!

I've crashed my bike so many times I cant count that high! I've crashed in bad road conditions and perfect road conditions. I've crashed into cars,vans, other bikes and even into and through a bus stop! I've high-sided and low-sided my way around London. I've crashed so many times that now during the crash sequence my heart rate doesn't even elevate and I no longer have a craving for a cigarette! Crashing is part of riding! If you aint crashing, you aint trying hard enough! Get on the bike, and within a week you'll be fine. Ride safe lol

Reply to this Topic
vstrombandit

Sep 09

vstrombandit says:

Confidence

Firstly - ignore all those who think that becuase youv'e had an off and have lost a bit of confidence then you should stop biking. Everyone will have different reactions but generally I find people who make those sorts of comments are over confident, arrogant riders who believe they are invincable but tend to be poor / unsafe riders who would fail advanced riding tests by a country mile. Sooner or later the police will black bag 'em. Being over cautious is however, almost as dangerous as being over confident - you need to take risks sometimes.

Go to a school and use their bikes to do some training. If you don't start to feel comfrotable farily quickly, then I would seriously think about your riding career. It's just like falling off a bycycle / horse etc. the quicker you get back on , the quicker you get over it. I had an off very soon after passing my test which shook me up a bit. I went back to the training school and they were very good in helping me get over what happend. that was 12 years ago, and have enjoyed myself on a bike ever since. Good luck

Reply to this Topic
megadooomer

Jan 11

megadooomer says:

crashing

I had a crash on a CBR-6 Just an unlucky accident, wrote the bike off complete new kit (the old stuff was removed by the ambulance crew), when the insurance cheque cleared off to the dealership fully armed with the advice of other bikers.  Got a 600 bandit loved it.  Everyone has a different reaction.  But if you lurve riding just get back on.

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Analyse it... it wasn't your fault but it's very unlikely that there's nothing you could have done about it. Was it near a petrol station? Were you riding round the outside of a bend where it is more likely to be spilled? Could you have smelled or seen it? Should you change your riding style to allow you to adjust for any of these things. Learn from it if you can.

Other than that consider the fact that these problems existed before you crashed (far worse actually if you look back over the years) & you accepted that risk then. What has changed? If you're saying you went into biking without realising the risks then think some more... a lot more... then go with your decision, but always learn a lesson.

Reply to this Topic
BillyBankrupt

Dec 10

All of the above

Reading all the comments below, for me it's seems all of them are right to varying degrees. Yeah you're going to feel a bit shaken and yeah your confidence will be knocked a little but if you want to carry on riding guess what you need to do??? Yep get back on a bike. For me, I'd take some advise from vstrombandit and get yourself down to a training school and book some time. Might want to consider superbike school or something???? For me I had my first off on a 125cc and I overcame my "demons" by going out and buying a Gixxer 400. We all deal with things differently :) Good luck buddy, hope you're on two wheels soon.

Reply to this Topic
Fluffykins

Mar 12

Fluffykins says:

dont worry :D

Dont worry buddy. It happens to the best of us. Your on 2 wheels and it is bound to happen at some point. and without trying to scare you i bet it will happen again. the impportant thing is to get back on the horse and ride as safely as possible to prevent it happening as much as possible :D

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices