Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis

I crashed on diesel six weeks ago, I'm still waiting on the insurer to pay out on the bike. I haven't ridden since and my confidence has plummeted. I feel like this might be it for me and bikes. Can anyone offer any advice before I make a decision? • Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 March 2012 17:38)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

nice answer lol

every body comes off at some point and you are still here its a sickner but simply ask your self is riding a bike worth it if you cant answer then you shouldn't be on a bike in the first place It amazes me how people can crash cars and never thing maybe I shouldn't drive but one fall off a bike and its all in question the only suggestion i have is get back on the bike if need be ride around a car park a bit get used to the bike again then try roads again but in the end the decision is yours better to live a day as a lion than a life time as a sheep

Reply to this Topic
mogulthrash

Dec 10

mogulthrash says:

25 years later

Happened to me many many years ago. Came out of the hospital, got myself together and got another bike. Gave up bikes a few years later. Now, 25 years later, back on a bike and loving it. I'm an old school biker and suggest you get back on and do your thing, I did and its great. Modern bikes are so much better - they stop, they accelerate and they are reliable and the tyre technology is superb. Good onya.

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

ive had a few small

offs one of witch was on diesel but if biking is somthing you love you cant let it stop you getting back on the horse the longer you leave it the harder it gets but if you feel you can get on a bike and ride maybe some rider training courses or some track days could help get you back up the confidence ladder dont give up every body has an off some time youve just got to learn anything you can from the expreince and get back on the bike

Reply to this Topic
Lj172

Jul 11

Lj172 says:

Training

Get back on and ride. I had a pretty big off a few years back, due to surface dressing, but once i got the ok from the Doc i got myself a new bike and got back out there. YThough i did take a bikesafe course to see where i needed to improve my riding skills. You could also look at going the whole hog and doing advanced rider training.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

I had an off

(albeit a minor one) on snow in my first winter, and it stuck with me for a bit and made me nervous for a while after. Even now 5 years on, its always in the back of my mind whenever I go out (it also means that I don't get complacent).

Going out on the same bike might be hard work (it'll be a constant reminder), depending on your finances, it might be worth changing the bike.

It might be worth a run with an instructor to highlight any bad habits you've picked up, or indeed, you may find it easier going out on your own, just getting a feel back for the bike (taking it slow at first until you get you're confidence back).

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Getting back on

Its quite natural that you should feel this way after your first accident, but if you love biking then you have to bite the bullet and get yourself back on as soon as you can, the longer you take the tougher it will get. Everyone, and I mean everyone!, comes off at some point, I have had quite a few over the years only one of any severity luckily, the most important thing is to learn from it, when you do get back in the saddle you will be nervous and lacking confidence but you will also be much more aware and vigilant and a better rider for the experience, dont let it beat you! Good Luck  

Reply to this Topic
CobbZ

Jun 10

CobbZ says:

Confidence

Well, it happens to all of us. Even if its a crash where you get up, pick your bike up, and ride home. It still shakes ya.

My one and only crash was minor, didn't break any bones (a minor miracle, boots and draggin jeans saved me) and bike only needed about £200 to fix. But I still hit a barrier at 40 on a tight bend. For at least a month - two months I was uneasy, slow, jittery and uncalm going round corners where previously I'd not be far off knee down.

It usually helps to go for a ride with a friend or two, have someone else's lines to follow, braking points to take note of... Getting back on is the first step.

Take it easy, don't rush. And take care out there! You'll be fine. If you do decide to take a break, I'd recommend that you DON'T sell your bike, gear e.t.c. because I guaruntee you'll get the bug again within a maximum of two years!

I hope you feel better about it all soon. Take care,

Dan

Reply to this Topic
ax1464

Nov 08

ax1464 says:

Lots of comments saying if you love riding you need to get back on the horse. In my opinion, if you truly LOVE riding, NOTHING will prevent you from riding. If you have to force yourself to ride, you probably shouldn't. But if you still want to ride, you'll ride. Just take it slow and your confidence will return. Learn from what happened and let it make you a better and safer rider.

Reply to this Topic
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

Joke

Is this some sort of joke - I thought I was reading a magazine for schoolgirls - It sounds like you might be best sticking to knitting rather than riding a bike although those needles can be quite sharp.

If your confidence  is still low maybe we should all meet up somewhere and have a group hug.

Reply to this Topic
gsalmons

Nov 05

gsalmons says:

Mindset

It's all in the mind. Either you're gonna get back or not

I had a major off several years ago (thanks Mr Boy Racer 'hit'n'run) - ended up in hospital 10 weeks, knackered leg & went back a year later to have my leg off below the knee. Never did I entertain that I wouldn't ride again! As soon as the wife calmed down I was straight back out there - on an adapted R1.

If you want to get back on two wheels there's always someone else who's already had the same off - just google it & advice will be offered.

Just my 2p worth......

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices