Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Post-crash confidence crisis

I crashed on diesel six weeks ago, I'm still waiting on the insurer to pay out on the bike. I haven't ridden since and my confidence has plummeted. I feel like this might be it for me and bikes. Can anyone offer any advice before I make a decision? • Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 March 2012 17:38)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Cazurela

Jun 10

Cazurela says:

my 2 cents....

I recently had my second time off, yet my first serious one: Lowslided over a gravle patch on a tight right hand bend at 70 mph! Broken right collarbone and shoulderblade, the first requiered surgery. Other than that the bike gear did its job (no scratches or cuts). I've been told I was very lucky not having any arteries or nerves severed because of the hit. The trusty VFR800Fi has been written off and the insurance will pay shortly. My confidence isn't quite affected as I know nothing might have saved me from going down (I didn't know the road and might have been riding "spiritedly" though)... However, I am a surgeon and work mwith y hands. I'm concerned about having permanent damage on my arms/and and having to retire at 35 because of this. I am seriously thinking on giving up Sport / racing bikes and take on Dirt / Trail bikes where the pace is slower and the risks are different. Don't get me wrong, I still hear a motorcycle down the road and want to check it out, but the risks are too high at the moment. Maybe when my mortage is paid and my kids graduate from university I will go back to racer bikes. Now where are the Husaberg or Gas Gas reviews?

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Trail Riding

Agree with tl1000kid – get a dual-sport (used Yamaha TW200’s are cheap and reliable) and hit some unpaved roads and trails. Crashing at low-speed doesn’t hurt much, and you will gain bike handling skills riding in the loose stuff.

And a training class where they deal with rider confidence (as the Lee Parks classes in the US do) would be an excellent idea.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

Carry on Biking

Sorry to hear that you came off your bike, it is very true that EVERYONE comes off once! Luckily for you and i and many others you just get up, dust yourself down and carry on. Your confidence will be knocked because slipping on diesel that you are unaware of is totally out of your control, but the way to look at it is statistically it wont happen again, so my advice is carry on Biking. Ask yourself, if you were on foot crossing the road and slipped on the diesel breaking your leg or ankle would you give up walking? I think not. Take everyones advice and get back out as soon as you can and just take it easy for a while, you'll be glad you did!

Reply to this Topic
Hyabusa1340

Apr 11

Hyabusa1340 says:

There is only one option...

YOU have to ride. We ride because we need to be a part of the greatest experience of movement.I know my skydiving wife may disagree as to what is best.....but still The statistics, if applied properly would encourage you to ride. they would not encourage going into the kitchen... SEE YOU OUT THERE!

Reply to this Topic
Fz6daveg

Mar 09

Fz6daveg says:

Confidence

We have all had some tricky moments on a bike and touch wood i have never crashed. The only advice i can give is that you must get out when we have some superb weather at the moment and enjoy it again.

Maybe take a couple of refresher lessons with a Bike training firm for some expect assessment??

Hope you get back in the saddle. 

Reply to this Topic
Typhon219

Oct 11

Typhon219 says:

I know the feeling

I've been off a few times and the worse for me was black ice. I didn't see it coming or feel the wheels let go, it was just suddenly on top of me and we were sliding alot the road. any other time I've seen it coming if only for a sec and knew what to blame.I spent a week or so riding around really slowly, tense and bricking it every time I rode and thought numerous times about packing it in but I love my biking so I perservered. It was months before I was back to the confidence levels of before the fall. start off with a 10 min spin around the block a few times in quiet, safe roads, or some car park manouveres when theres no cars on it and build up from there. once your up for it get some training in too

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Erm...

Preadator - "statistically it wont happen again,"

Statistically it's as likely to happen again as it was the first time... more so as we get more traffic on the road.

Cazurela - "I know nothing might have saved me from going down"

Riding differently would have saved you from going down... you made the choice to ride "spiritedly" along a section of road you didn't know with poor visibility ahead (unless you're saying that every bike that used that section of road crashed)... your choice.

If you can't/won't ride differently (i.e. learn from your accident, as I said before) then consider giving up (as Cazurela has).

PS - I know you're both being helpful to a fellow biker so please take this as different point of view rather than aggresive criticism.

Reply to this Topic
ewanhind

Jun 11

ewanhind says:

Any activity comes with risk, and motorcycling more than most. Diesel on the road is probably one of the most difficult things to eliminate as a risk, as it can be very difficult to spot, but good, well observed and well planned riding with speed adapted to the visibility and road conditions will help to mitigate that risk. As some of the comments below show, the way some people ride means that they think that their incidents couldn't have been avoided, when in fact a different rider with different skills and attitude would have avoided them. I would say that if you just jump back on and go your lack of confidence is going to make you more vulnerable than normal. Why not start with a day's instruction from an advanced instructor to get your confidence back up, and have them help you with some of the skills that will help to reduce the chances of a similar accident in future. Every time I have some advanced training I learn something useful, I become smoother, I'm sure I get a bit safer, and my confidence gets a boost.

Reply to this Topic
Preadator

Jan 12

Preadator says:

@ Hedgehog5

There's always one! I spent many hours of mathmatical calculations with my colleagues at the University of clever bastards to work out that statistically it won't happen again. I've just checked through my calculations and working and found that i was right the first time. I hope this will help you sleep at night. xx.

Reply to this Topic
walter ego

Sep 02

walter ego says:

I ended up in a induced coma but only for hospital checks to make sure i hadnt mashed my brain and i hadnt I was told by a customer of mine when i considered fleetingly giving up, that if it was meant to happen , it would have had no better chance And anyway give up all the " dangerous " stuff go home , do nothing and wait for the cardiac arrest while watching strictly come dancing and east enders Use the insurance money and buy the wife a new kitchen and slowly grow to hate it cos it should have been your new bike

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices