Skip to content

General Iridium Visors? Breaking the law? Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > Iridium Visors? Breaking the law?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

Iridium Visors? Breaking the law?

Hi gang

Just been for a quick blast about , the 125 was purring like a kitten! (only about a few thousand times hotter)
No liquid cooling! Had to leave the cover off her til she cools down or she will end up looking like a pizza.
Nearly getting my knee down round bends, and riding no handed, just for the f*ck of it.

I dont know if anyone else ever does that? I wouldnt try it on a sports bike but i dont think its anymore dangerous than filtering (which i rarely do but am doing it more and more with a bit of confidence)

Not enough power to wheelie or power slide so..

Also are iridium visors illegal? I just fitted one to my Roof Boxer ((black shadow)

but are they safe and legal and are they dangerous in dark conditions? I wont get pulled for having one will i? (it says race use only)

Feels so good riding the breeze and just dropping in to the corners. I just wish it had twice the power!

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (26 March 2012 18:45)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

Sometimes

I take both hands of the bars and pretend I'm flying.:smiley:

I'm not sure about your visor just make sure you carry your clear one,i had a big lecture from a policeman about my black visor.And oh boy did he go on and on and on.....:ph43r:

Reply to this Topic
johnlad1

Mar 11

johnlad1 says:

if it says race use only

the police my hassle you about it especialy if they think it will make it harder for you to see at night id imagine similer to tinted visors theres some kind of standard for how much light ect should get through before it becomes "dangerous

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

shades

had my prescription sunglasss on today and all i could see was the sun and nothing else.. only just fitted my iridium when i got back in tody so i havnt had chance to use it

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Yeh

Generally they're not legal. General advice is to carry a clear one with you so you can swap over - if a cop pulls you then you can show them the clear one and say you have it to swap if conditions change.

I do prefer a clear visor and sunglasses myself.

EDIT: and yes, they're dangerous in the dark hence why I prefer the sunglasses - can just pull over and pocket them or do it at the next junction.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
6Billy9

Aug 02

6Billy9 says:

Iridium visor

Last time I investigated, this was the legal position:

Legally tinted visors can be no more than 50% tinted, i.e. should allow 50% or more light through. If they limit more light than that, they'll probably not be labelled as road-legal and you'll get a roadside b******ing by plod but be OK.*

*If they pull you over during the day, they'll probably moan at you. Smile nicely, lie through your teeth, get on with your life. 

If it's after dark, they tend to do a variety of random things including: get irate, tell you to remove your visor, remove your visor for you, give you a summons, impart pseudo sage advice in a condescending voice and subtract points from your license and money from your wallet. :biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

have a look on the side of the visor. my black one sides day like use only.  the one that was fitted to my old lid had race use only on it.

i have never been stoped as the cops round my way use black visors to.

Reply to this Topic
kawathrasher

Feb 10

kawathrasher says:

It's the same joys

I have a black visor on my lid and have never been stopped becoz of it like wise the (ever so slightly) smaller than standard plate.

But guy at my work got stopped last week and a jobs worth wee traffic numpty jumps out the merc with a feckin ruler in his hand:blink: Upshot being ''excuse me sir do you know that the letters on your registration plate are 14mm to small ? '' £60 lighter and a slightly irrate bandit rider being the outcome

Best bit was the usual line of questioning Your bike ? yes. Insured ? yes and tax ? of course ok what about mot ? NO !!!!!!! (at which point the traffic twat breakes into a big grin).....................................................

But if would care to turn around cuntstubble you will see a large sign which says '' MOT's done here''

Which is where he was booked in that mornin (with legal number plate in his rucksack) :biggrin:

Who'd be a biker ???  :wacko::biggrin::wink:

Reply to this Topic
halftank

Feb 10

halftank says:

Had this very problem last year,

Got pulled, was told of the "danger" of the irridium visor ...etc ... etc, whilst the copper stood there wearing blue IRRIDIUM sun shades.

Told him if it starts getting dark in the next 9 hours, i would remove the visor ... he say's  "and what if you get dust or grit in your eyes without it" just at that moment a Harley rider goes by, open faced lid and specs on ... I'll be the same as him, as i also wear specs.

Then i told him what my optician said ... Blue sunglasses irridium or otherwise seem to cancel out red light officer ...  be careful at the traffic lights mate..

Reply to this Topic
ANichol

Aug 02

ANichol says:

Carry a clear spare

you can get bub-bag stylee things to wrap visors around your waist. Don't have a small number plate or race can; and don't ride like a goon.

Follow those and you're unlikely to get pulled for a visor. If you do, point out the spare, offer to show the officer how much clearer the view is in the sun, say that sunglasses press into your head and give you a distracting headache. If you get a jobsworth, you're done; if you get a sensible, you'll have convinced them you're acting reasonably, if not within the letter of the law.

Repeating this post in your court hearing is only likely to irritate the magistrate.

Reply to this Topic
jimjambutty

Mar 12

jimjambutty says:

Visors

I like to use my EYELIDS as visors. They open independantly, they are semi-translusent, and are infinately openable and shutable. They dont steam up either. Did I mention my book?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices