Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

NewbieGirly

Mar 12

NewbieGirly says:

1st timer

Hey

I am looking to buy my first bike. I've passed my CBT and am struggling to find a bike within my budget (they all seem to be in some 'shire' town and I live in London).

Bikes I seem to be looking at at just normal Yamaha YBR and Honda CG and CBF. Only 125cc. I only have a small budget and don't even really want to spend that as I still have to buy helmet etc.

The other thing is I am only 5"3 so reaching the floor might be a bit tricky. I learnt on the Honda CG so I know that that's ok.

Any help is greatly welcome. Where do I start looking? How do I know it's right? and all those kind of FAQ's (I assume they are FAQ's)

Thanks for reading this essay!

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 March 2012 13:20)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Hello and welcome NG

Might be worth having a word with the school where you did your CBT as they usually have good local bike related contacts,if not then right here on MCN

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/bikes-for-sale/

or

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/bikes

even the dreaded bay:unsure: do have someone that knows a thing or two about bikes that can go along with you when you view one?

Oh BTW nowt wrong with the shire.:tongue::biggrin:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

How much are you planning spending?

Take into account the insurance, because that'll be a headache for a year or two.

If you can, (if you're buying from a dealer anyway) try and pay cash (rather than finance): its amazing the discounts you can get if you're paying in cash (and serious), even if it means serious saving.

If you're not sure about bikes, take a friend who is. Or indeed, ask friends if they know any good dealers / shops.

Think about maintenance if you buy from a dealer (ie, have they facilities to do repairs etc on your bike if need be?). That might sound silly, but I went into a shop looking for a bike and asked about servicing etc, and got the reply "well, we don't actually have a workshop here".

As far as helmet / kit / security (you don't want your new wheels half-inched by a chav) goes, Hein Gericke are probably a good place to start (you'll probably have one near you) who can help with prices, and indeed, with sizing / fitting (a cheap-ish helmet that fits and is comfortable is better than an expensive one that doesn't).

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle