Skip to content

Ask an Expert Advice for Bikers! Insurance

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Insurance > Advice for Bikers!

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

TheJoyRider

Mar 12

TheJoyRider says:

Advice for Bikers!

Dear All,

I work in the motorcycle insurance industry! :tongue:

I have some tips for you all!

1. If your Excess is not discussed at the start of the policy, tough luck if you go to make a claim and you find the Excess is worth as much as the vehicle itself!
2. Please read your documents when you make a policy and if you don't receive them within seven days, then by all means ask for a set to be sent out!
3. IT DOESN'T MATTER if your documents were never RECEIVED by yourself, if you want to call back seven months later for a copy and don't like PAYING for another set, TOUGH! It's YOUR fault you didn't ask for them in a reasonable amount of time at the start of the policy!
4. You shouldn't complain about amendment fees nor be abusive to front line staff about them as they don't dictate the prices, yes they can be steep but this is NOT forced onto yourself, if you don't like Harrods prices then don't shop there! Simples!
5. Do not expect documents to, after taking out a policy online, magically appear in your Email inbox 10 seconds later! These things have to be proof read by a human being in a queue, after all, we can't be insuring THE HONEY MONSTER!
6. FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY ABOUT ANY OF THE ABOVE!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WILL CHANGE BY ASKING THE MANAGER INSTEAD OF THE TRAINED FRONTLINE STAFF WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT INSURANCE THAN MOST CUSTOMERS EVER WILL!

Lastly, I would like to advise you readers properly on what a cooling off period is for all our sakes!

It is the ability to CANCEL a policy instead of being forced to stick with it for a lengthier period of time! Did you read the word "Free" in that sentence? NO!!! Why? Because it doesn't HAVE to be!

I am sick and tired of hearing customers complain about the cancellation charges on cancelling a policy within the first fourteen days! Please try your very best to understand this tip to help you readers save money and save people like me a LOT of ear-ache! It IS oddball clients think its free, I mean, we all know what insurance companies are like, who-ever heard of free insurance?

LOL...

http://whatconsumer.co.uk/cooling-off-and-cancellations/
Financial products and services
"Financial products including banking, credit, insurance, personal pensions and investments, sold by distance means are subject to a 14 day cooling off period (this is 30 days in the case of life insurance and personal pensions). This includes renewals for insurance where the agreement has been sent by post. This 14 day cooling off period also covers situations where you bought a financial product from an intermediary or a broker, even if it was discussed and signed face to face. You must be sure to follow correct procedure for cancellation (see below). The insurer or broker must refund any monies paid by you within 30 days, although they have the right to deduct a reasonable admin charge, and a sum proportionate to the number of days cover you have had."

Thank you so much for your time in reading this! I hope this will help me, my colleagues both friends and competitors in the insurance industry and all of your other readers!

:lol:

Regards,
The Joy Rider

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 March 2012 20:19)

Post a message in Insurance

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ergf

Feb 09

ergf says:

Joyrider

You make some fair points about reading your policy and ensuring you get your documents within a few days however as someone who has worked in customer service industries as both staff and manager some of your other points are occupational hazards across any call centre for example:
Any customer receiving what they perceive as poor service is going to shout at the person on the frontline because they cant shout at the person who made the policy.
Managers have the authority to remove cancellation charges and other standard charges therefore the customer can and should ask to speak to a manager if they feel the service isnt what they should expect as a paying customer.

On the subject of admin fees these are a fairly new thing to the insurance industry £25 to send an automated letter is a rip off, for replacement documents that have to be read by someone first its reasonable. Personally i really object to paying an admin fee to renew a policy as i am giving a company my business but it appears to be standard practice now.

Finally cancellation charges in cooling off period. If the cover hasnt started no charge should be made for cancellation during the cooling off period but if some cover has been provided even for 1 day then it is reasonable but i expect if it happened to most people they wouldnt feel that way.

Insurance is expensive and we are customers we actually should expect a quality service and if we dont get it we go somewhere else and the insurer goes out of business and there are lots of companies that has happened to.

There are always 2 sides to every argument

Reply to this Topic
robsot

Feb 10

robsot says:

here is some advice for you.. If someone gives you shit (probably for being a patronising smarmy t**t) down the phone.. deal with it.. its your job! 

Reply to this Topic
soapes

May 10

soapes says:

Speaking to a manager

Over the past few years I've had countless issues with mistakes on policies and "admin charges" unfairly administered, on most occasions speaking to the manager was the solution. One case was when I was paying my insurance company by instalments directly (due to a direct debit problem with the insurer) but the insurer was neglecting to inform the finance company of this so each month I recieved a letter charging me "admin fees" it was only by speaking to a manager that the fees were wavered. If I had not requested to speak to a manager my insurance would have cost me an extra £25 a month. My advice DO ask to speak to a manager if you feel your not getting anywhere with the sales staff.

And don't get me started on insurance companies understanding of licence categories!!

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

TheJoyRider

Why would anyone be abuse to this chap?

From the lovely tips he's given us all to help us out he appears to be a cheerful, helpful and genuinely nice guy. (read as: "sarcastic twatbag")

Another tip: The "fee's" he was talking about can be waived by the "TRAINED FRONTLINE STAFF"[sic] because this has happened to me and I've previously worked in the financial sector and the law says the company is entitled to ask for a reasonable fee and they must refund you your initial payment minus however much you've used (which none of the quota-chasing, sarcastic twatbags on the phones ever do)

Also don't go through a broker, the broker charges you fee's and so does the insurer so you end up paying double admin fee's and calcelation fee's.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

"1. If your Excess is not discussed at the start of the policy, tough luck if you go to make a claim and you find the Excess is worth as much as the vehicle itself!"

The excess is a key point of the policy, and thus SHOULD be discussed / stated by an insurers staff / call handler. If they don't, they aren't doing their job, in which case what are they doing working there?? A waiter/ess doesn't cook the food in a restaurant, but s/he still has to know what's on the menu and be able to describe it to customers. 

"4. You shouldn't complain about amendment fees nor be abusive to front line staff about them as they don't dictate the prices, yes they can be steep but this is NOT forced onto yourself, if you don't like Harrods prices then don't shop there! Simples!"

Not entirely true: we are legally obliged to buy insurance, and many insurance firms take the mickey with some of their prices / fees - and these charges seem to be sweeping across the industry as a whole with little restraint.

"6. FOR GODS SAKE DO NOT ASK TO SPEAK TO A MANAGER IF YOU ARE UNHAPPY ABOUT ANY OF THE ABOVE!!!!! ABSOLUTELY NOTHING WILL CHANGE BY ASKING THE MANAGER INSTEAD OF THE TRAINED FRONTLINE STAFF WHO KNOW MORE ABOUT INSURANCE THAN MOST CUSTOMERS EVER WILL!"

Trained Frontline Staff in some cases don't appear to be that well trained: I asked my insurer to provide me with a quote some months back because I wished to change my bike. She duly asked for my details, so I told her I had a policy there already and I'd give her a reference number. Reply: "Why are you asking us for a quote then?" Again, why is she working there??

Reply to this Topic
TheJoyRider

Mar 12

TheJoyRider says:

Advice for Bikers! - Response

Hi ergf,

Thank you for your response, with regards to your comments, please consider the following:-

"Managers have the authority to remove cancellation charges"

NO, not necessarily so, it may be the case in most organisations they will do this, but NOT in ALL, my manager cannot waiver fees!

"Finally cancellation charges in cooling off period. If the cover hasnt started no charge should be made for cancellation during the cooling off period "

Why on earth so? Who therefore is paying for the call centre? Who is paying for the salesman? Who is paying for the admin staff who do the documents? Who is paying for all of this and more?

"On the subject of admin fees these are a fairly new thing to the insurance industry £25 to send an automated letter is a rip off,"

Yes, that sounds it, but, why shout and abuse frontline staff over this? They are not sitting there earning £25 an hour!

Hi Cyclonite,

"Another tip: The "fee's" he was talking about can be waived by the "TRAINED FRONTLINE STAFF"[sic]"

You are assuming they can be! Why? When you go into Tesco's and buy a shopping trolley load, can you simply ask the checkout clerk to waiver the cost? Do you really claim to understand policy within ALL organisations in the entire world? Really? Furthermore, I think you need to look up use of the term [sic] - it is where you are repeating someone else's wording, and copying their error, as I have spelt those words correctly, you should not be using it!  I can also assure you, you do not understand the cooling off period either. It does not have to be pro-rata, it can be anything else agreed as part of the T&Cs.

Hi AidieR,

"The excess is a key point of the policy, and thus SHOULD be discussed / stated by an insurers staff / call handler."

This is a fantastic response, for a biker, yes this SHOULD be discussed, but, it is on the onus of the policy holder, not the insurer to do this. If you sign on the dotted line without reading T&Cs you may be agreeing to something you would rather not be!

"Not entirely true: we are legally obliged to buy insurance"

You are not legally obliged to ride a vehicle!

"Trained Frontline Staff in some cases don't appear to be that well trained:"

I ENTIRELY AGREE WITH YOU! In my experience however, the customer has ALWAYS been wrong!

Very best,

And you are all welcome!

Now, I DO understand my comments may get some people unhappy, because they have learned the hard way, but this is a benevolent post!

The Joy Rider

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"This is a fantastic response, for a biker, yes this SHOULD be discussed, but, it is on the onus of the policy holder, not the insurer to do this. If you sign on the dotted line without reading T&Cs you may be agreeing to something you would rather not be!"

True, but shit customer service all the same,do you really want return custom?.

"You are not legally obliged to ride a vehicle!"

Fcuking ditto!

Dude,your perfect for the job, keep up the good work.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Nope, but for many of us, a vehicle is quite handy for things like getting to work (ever tried getting non-existent public transport at 3am / 4am??), unless of course you lucky enough to have a job within walking distance (easier said than done in the current economic climate), in which case said vehicle is legally obliged to be insured to be on the road.

My point is that if I'm paying for a product / service, I expect a certain standard of service and staff that know what they're doing, and this is something which appears to be inconsistent in the insurance sector.

Not only that, but the prices and charges that some of them levy it's little wonder people don't bother with insurance.......

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

"I expect a certain standard of service and staff that know what they're doing"

Mate, that statement will be some how lost on him, me thinks.:blink:

Reply to this Topic
TheJoyRider

Mar 12

TheJoyRider says:

Advice for Bikers!

preunit says:-

"This is a fantastic response, for a biker, yes this SHOULD be discussed, but, it is on the onus of the policy holder, not the insurer to do this. If you sign on the dotted line without reading T&Cs you may be agreeing to something you would rather not be!"

True, but shit customer service all the same,do you really want return custom?.

Fcuking ditto!

Dear Preunit, I fully appreciate your view, and I agree, however, I do not work in sales... So, therefore, my view as the customer service rep who is SHOUTED at by some ignorant customer who doesn't ask the right questions TO HIS OR HER RELEVANCE, is different to that of sales and the clients, I get clients who are angry  because they did not discuss it and are unhappy for the given reason I gave... The reality is, if absolutely every eventuality was discussed when a policy was created, it would take one hour or more to make a sale, customers don't want this and salesmen and women most certainly don't want this... Understand?

To AdieR,

""You are not legally obliged to ride a vehicle!"

Nope, but for many of us, a vehicle is quite handy for things like getting to work (ever tried getting non-existent public transport at 3am / 4am??), unless of course you lucky enough to have a job within walking distance (easier said than done in the current economic climate), in which case said vehicle is legally obliged to be insured to be on the road.

My point is that if I'm paying for a product / service, I expect a certain standard of service and staff that know what they're doing, and this is something which appears to be inconsistent in the insurance sector."
:-

"yes this SHOULD be discussed, but, it is on the onus of the ***policy holder***, not the insurer to do this. If you sign on the dotted line without reading T&Cs you may be agreeing to something you would rather not be!"

The reality is if all eventualities were discussed, it would take hours to get a policy running...

The Joy Rider,

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices