Skip to content

Ask an Expert anyone done police bike safe Riding Skills

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Riding Skills > anyone done police bike safe

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

anyone done police bike safe

just wandered if anyone has attended a police bike safe course.did you find it beneficial

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (27 March 2012 20:35)

Post a message in Riding Skills

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Police bikesafe day

I done it 4 or 5 years ago, was a good interesting day out and even after 30 years of biking I found it beneficial, I still use the road positioning advice that was given, well worth doing.

:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

Twice

Once in South Yorkshire, paid for by me, once freebie in Cheshire as local authority were subsidising.   Both were really good.

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i did the one in dumfries but it was just a powerpoint talk and did not even ride with them.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

You can

also consider the IAM or ROSPA. Costs a bit more initially but for the cost you get a lot more training time. £50 (ish) for a day or £100ish for a day a week for a year?

They both work to the same system (Motorcycle Roadcraft -  it's the textbook the plod use to train) and IAM assessment is done by a police class one motorcyclist anyway.

Your local IAM or ROSPA group may offer a free assessment ride for a couple of hours.

I've not been on bikesafe but I'm just giving other ways to get more for your cash.

What bikesafe does give you is that the advice is coming from a PC and not someone who you suspect is contradicting you just because he wants to be superior and it's all at once rather than the slower over many weeks pace of the IAM / ROSPA courses. The other side of the coin is that the IAM guys aren't paid and so are doing it because they really want to make people better riders rather than being told they have to do it.

If you do go on one, take a notepad and write down the main points at the end of the day so you don't forget them. And let us know how it is!

EDITED because I'm a numpty and forgot the name of bikesafe.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
bryfor59

Feb 09

bryfor59 says:

Cost's

I am surprised to be reading about there being cost's involved, when I done it, it was completely free, we did 1 hour in the classroom and about 4 or 5 hours on the road, I suppose with the recession and all that shite, they might be charging now!! thats a shame!!

:blink:

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

when

I enquired I remember it costing about £50 but it was a couple of years ago so I may be talking out of my arse.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

If you've not

done any advanced training, I reckon its worth a couple of tanks of fuel, but check if it's offered free where you are.

Reply to this Topic
philehidiot

Feb 09

philehidiot says:

Couple?

That's nearly six tanks for me!

Reply to this Topic
Steveyman

Jan 08

Steveyman says:

Bikesafe

I did it some years back and it is well worth doing, eventually I did join the IAM and now an observer.

Just to make you aware if you are anywhere near warwickshire or the midlands there is a Bikesafe weekend Sat 28th / Sun 29th April at the Heritage Motor Museum, Gaydon.

There wil be loads of police riders, for free rideouts, demo bikes, stunt displays, Advanced riding Groups etc etc a great weekend.

Take care.

Reply to this Topic
bbstrikesagain

Nov 08

BikeSafe may be just the beginning

philehidiot
I want a bike I can fill five or six times for a £50...  Ah, I was talking about BikeSafe costs.  Advanced training beyond that takes a lot more commitment, more miles, and usually a few tank fulls too.  I recommend RoSPA if there's a local group.

Steveyman
Good points.  They gave free short rideouts at the national BikeSafe day when it was in Sheffield, which was a chance to take the latest must-have steed for a ride, albeit followed closely by a friendly PC.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle