Skip to content

Discuss This Humber Bridge toll victory. Where next? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Humber Bridge toll victory. Where next?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

John Westlake  says:

Humber Bridge toll victory. Where next?

The Motorcycle Action Group (MAG) has managed to get the toll for bikes removed from the Humber Bridge. From April 1 2012 motorcycles will be able to cross the bridge free, instead of the normal £1.30. This is clearly excellent news, and follows years of hard work, meetings with the Humber Bridge Board, and a slow pay demonstration ride. In...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 March 2012 11:32)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ChimneyPortions

Oct 11

Muppet

What muppet is going to turn up at 1 minute past midnight to find out it is probably an April Fools joke.

Reply to this Topic
ducatigav

Feb 10

ducatigav says:

I bet its nothing to do with mag it’s to do with the long term plan of getting rid of the pay booths for an automated system and a government move to lower the cost of getting between to north and south banks as car have been made half price to try and land the wind turbine plant + others

Reply to this Topic
roadrider

Sep 08

roadrider says:

The decision to have a toll free crossing for bikes was made long before the recent government decision to halve the bridge debt and pass on the remaining debt to the local councils to sort out.

This was partially helped by MAG petitioning etc, so well done to them.

But the wrong decision was made imho, it should have been made a toll free crossing for everyone, I suspect it would have been but for the economic climate limiting the goverments ability to wipe of the whole of the bridges debts.

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

You want a challenge?

Yes, Cartford bridge still charges as far as I know. Wheres that? Go on Google maps and put in Great Eccleston, Lancashire and its north of the village at the other side of the main road. Its about as long as an articulated lorry trailer! You did ask!

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

Where next??

Free road tax.

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

How about free crossings on the Euorotunnel? It's making next to feck all money, so why not....... 

Reply to this Topic
Juliet1200

Jan 11

Juliet1200 says:

Not muppet

@ChimneyPortions - not an April Fool joke, and a decent turnout to celebrate the successful lobbying by East Yorks MAG

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-17577665

Reply to this Topic
ackers

Feb 09

ackers says:

Cartford Bridge

Yes SatNavSteve - Cartford Bridge north of Great Eccleston!! Not only does it charge for motorcycles but the other day when I was out cycling in the area I got stopped after going over the bridge and asked for 50p. I only had a £20 note stowed away for my lunch but he still took it even though it took him 2 or 3 minutes to find enough change.

In the mean time the local kids were zooming backwards and forwards across the bridge on their BMXs with no demands on them for money!!

As pedestrians are free, if I had picked my bike up and carried across I would have saved the toll!! I did consider refusing to pay, cycling back across the bridge and then carrying across a third time. However as I am a fat lazy git I coughed up!!

I dont really mind it on the motorbike because it seems to be a bit of a throwback and reminds me of when I used to go across in the sidecar of my dads Sunbeam Lion. It's more of a nostalga trip really.

Reply to this Topic
NeiljohnUK

Oct 09

NeiljohnUK says:

Itchen Toll Bridge, Southampton.

At the Woolston end of the bridge is a toll booth which is operational every day of the week. Southampton City Council levy a variable toll, 20p at ALL times for motorcycles, which depends on vehicle type. The toll was originally charged in order to help pay the £12.174 million it cost to build. The toll succeeded in this some years ago, but the toll remains to control the traffic in the areas surrounding the bridge. http://www.southampton.gov.uk/s-environment/roadsandparking/itchenbridge/ Concessions are available to residents of the City of Southampton, i.e. Southampton council tax payers only, for class 2 vehicles. (Motorcycles) The 20p concession in effect will allow free passage to eligible vehicles upon production of a valid permit. Eligible commuters must apply for the annual permit using the application form, providing proof of residency. The vehicle or rider must clearly display the valid permit on arrival at the toll booth, and wait for the traffic light to change to green before proceeding, otherwise the rider will be required to pay the normal toll, currently 20p. Exemption from the toll can only be claimed by showing the permit at the time of each crossing. So elimination of the 20p charge for non-residents will improve the flow for residents as well!

Reply to this Topic
NeiljohnUK

Oct 09

NeiljohnUK says:

Agreed!

eatcs01 says "Where next?? Free road tax." As my F650GS pollutes less than a car and uses less petrol, why should I pay £70 tax a year when more polluting and consuming cars only cost £30?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices