Skip to content

Discuss This BMW F800GS Trophy and Triple Black special editions ridden First rides & tests

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > First rides & tests > BMW F800GS Trophy and Triple Black special editions ridden

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

BMW F800GS Trophy and Triple Black special editions ridden

Ever since I rode the brilliant Triumph Tiger 800 I've known with complete certainty that it was the best 800cc motorbike on the planet. Until now. Now I'm not so sure. I've just ridden the BMW F800GS Triple Black and F800GS Trophy Special Edition and they're very, very good. The F800GS Triple Black comes with a deep black paint finish, with...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 March 2012 17:11)

Post a message in First rides & tests

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Sounds like you had too long between riding the imposter & the original. At least you now realise why Triumph are trying to jumpon the band wagon.

Reply to this Topic
SPRINTMAN52

Feb 09

SPRINTMAN52 says:

BMW are trying to jump on the bandwagon that's why they call this the "TRIPLE"

Reply to this Topic
zoobaz

Oct 10

zoobaz says:

And the Trophy!!

Yep, Triumph have been making road / trailies since the early 70s, and calling them - yep you've guessed it - the Trophy...

http://dayerses.com/triumph-trophy.html

I'd buy the Triumph every time because of the proven reliability compared to the beemer's reputation for going wrong at the mo. Having said that though, beemer reckon they're addressing it and I realy do like  the look of the triple black.

Let's face it, if there's market share to be had, what manufacturer wouldn't want a slice of it? Virtually every car manufacturer on the planet at the mo builds an MPV type thing - introduced over 20 years ago with the Renault Espace and Matra. Yes other manufacturers jumped on the bandwagon but that's how the game get's moved on and how we get more choice and better products.

on another subject, I've just been to fill the bike up for the easter egg run on Sunday :)

Nottm Forest Rec ground Sunday... bring some eggs, tell yer mates....

Cheers,

Baz

Reply to this Topic
SatNavSteve

Sep 10

SatNavSteve says:

So the BMW is better than the Triumph, apart from the handling and engine characteristics!!!!! Not to mention the price. I'm off to order my Tiger 800 next week and did the 'create my Triumph' on their web site. With the factory pannier kit, hand guards, low seat (the BMs looks like a plank!) and centre stand fitted as extras, it comes to £8300. Don't know what the BM would be with their extras fitted but I suspect quite a bit more. And takes off like a nun on a trampoline? Don't understand that one.

Reply to this Topic
steady2wheels

Sep 08

i would go for the triumph also just due to the reliability, and also the engine would be a lot better for the road where you are going to spend most of your time

Reply to this Topic
k1200ser

Feb 10

k1200ser says:

Triumph is good, but it aint got the X factor!

All these Triumphs are good, but sterile, and build quality aint as good as BMW, whatever you may think. The 800 and the 1200 GS have got the competition licked still when it comes to the je ne sais quoi or X factor. I have just picked up a new 1200 Triple Black, and the Explorer hasnt got anywhere near recreating the soul of the GS, and thats a model that is in need of the major update coming next year! BMW, you keep at it, greaat tho the Triumph maybe, ours is still the original and best! Fact

Reply to this Topic
dd1965uk

Mar 09

dd1965uk says:

Beemer

Got the 800GS myself. My mates got the Triumph. Nothing between them at all.

Would have bought the Triumph probably if it had been out 2 years ago, but the BMW is a fantastic bike. Personal taste is all it is down too.

Reply to this Topic
Ballsdeep

Mar 12

Ballsdeep says:

I agree with dd1965uk. They’re both cracking bikes. It’s a bit like comparing Eva Longoria with Eva Mendes in a who’s hotter competition. Many a pint has been supped by me and my besty whilst considering this debate but lets be honest you wouldn’t kick either of them out of bed for eating biscuits! I do find it slightly ironic however Triumphs strap line is ‘go your own way’ when the 800 tiger is more than a little similar to the GS!

Two things for me though. Considering the 800GS has been out a few years there are only 20 for sale on MCN bike mart compared to 30 - 800Tigers. There are a lot of bikes traded in obviously quite early and lots of dealers desperately trying to sell pre-reg bikes with silly free kit offers. Says something to me! Also residual values. We all know the Beemer is going to set you back a bit more initially but as sure as eggs is eggs its gonna be worth more when you sell it!

The real trade off for me is that the BM is supposed to have better fuel economy but its got that wonky headlight, although that is a little bit like saying Eva Mendez has a mole on her face! Guess that’s tonight’s pub topic, I’ll see you in the swan Bri!

Reply to this Topic
asstoot

Jan 12

asstoot says:

800gs vs 800tigerxc

A year ago, I so badly wanted the gs, had a go on my mates`, had a day test ride and was SOLD to the sound, the comfort, the build quality. Alas, the Bristol dealer informed me that if I want one I must wait 5 months as they must order it from the factory. How can a company capable of producing such good product be a total let down in terms of delivery is beyond me! And it was beyond me then. I fumed into the nearest Triumph dealer, three t800s on the shop floor, any extras available at will and no wait till next spring necessary, test ride-today ok sir? here`s the keys. Well, something had to give and it was my pining for the BMW twin snorty. Yes the Triumph beats it on power and the suspension on the XC is really rather good, even on tarmac and it could wheelie for England, but the design and built quality is, in my opining, way behind the Krauts. Hey ho, at least I don`t have to spend years getting used to those daft indicators :)

Reply to this Topic
AHA1

Feb 12

AHA1 says:

KTM is the way to go. Adventure, street or enduro - you'll be in a different class than BMW or Triumph.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices