Skip to content

General Which Litre Sportsbike for Pillion? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > Which Litre Sportsbike for Pillion?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

Andy1750

Mar 12

Andy1750 says:

Which Litre Sportsbike for Pillion?

Hi Everybody,

Currently ride an FZ1 Fazer but looking to buy a shiny brand new litre sports bike this spring.  Thinking about the Ducati Panigale, Suzuki GSXR 1000, Honda Fireblade, Kawasaki ZX10R or possibly the BMW S 1000 RR.  HOWEVER, need to find one that's OK for regular pillion use.

I know that none of these will be overly comfortable.  However, any suggestions in terms of which might be reasonable for pillion? Should I completely exclude any of these bikes? 

FYI pillion is quite small - 5ft 2.

Thanks,

Andy

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 March 2012 18:17)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Sports bike choice

You don't buy a modern sports bike to carry a passenger.  Of the machines you have listed perhaps the BMW might be the best compromise but, as has already been suggested, test-ride a few and let your other half decide. 

Reply to this Topic
James600zx

Sep 07

James600zx says:

2012 litre bike for regular pillion use.

I think you're looking for the wrong bike for your task, but if you're both agreed (?) here are some considerations from a female pillion's point of view:
http://www.sport-touring.net/forums/index.php?topic=66327.0

Reply to this Topic
bikerbit

Mar 09

bikerbit says:

no new sports bike for passengers

honest answer is none your looking at wrong class of bike unless you look at sports bikes designed in the 90's which are now all or mostly classed as sports tourers if you go that way then thunderace wins it

if you must buy a new bike then go for the super/hyper sports tourers as mentioned like zzr1400-busa-k1300s-vfr1200 (if your blind) but its not just the seat on the sports bikes you have to watch its also the shocks as the rear mono shock isnt best suited for the extra passenger  no matter how much you fiddle with it so take lots of test rides not just sit on it in  a show room and also remember that the handling of the bike will be utter crap as lets all be honest they are not built or designed to carry a passenger not even as an after thought

Reply to this Topic
slidersdown

Mar 07

slidersdown says:

pillion friendly ?

my good lady doesnt go pillion as much now as she used to but she has no worries on back of my gsxr1000k8.there is no grab rail but she is experianced as pillion for 20 years.just have to make sure that i ride smoother.she enjoys to see over the top.years ago i had a zzr and she hated pillion on that as she could not see ahead,not a chance i would go pillion on a bike like though.

Reply to this Topic
Mannakin

Sep 10

Mannakin says:

Wrong choice imho

If you are looking for 2 up riding then a sports bike can't compete with dual sports/sports touring bikes for practicality.

I love my DL1000 solo and my daughters love the rear seat when they are pillion.

Maybe compromise and have 2 bikes :tongue:

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Hyperbike pillion

Me and the lass often go out on the one bike with her as the pillion (she doesn't have a bike licence). I recently bought a 1999 CBR900RR as a sporty bike with reasonable pillion provisions and she's given that the thumbs up. Might trade it in some point this year for a K5/6 GSXR1000 but thats as extreme a pillion perch as she's likely to go on now.

Sports bikes from the last 10 years or so have become less and less appropriate for taking a passenger on and you severely have to limit your acceleration/ braking with a passenger. Their life is in your hands and you owe them enough respect to not significantly jeopardise it.

I remember an incident that happened last year when a rider with pillion was accelerating a sports bike on a slip road. The passenger was launched off the back and the rider tried to retrieve her. Both the rider and pillion were hit several times by oncoming traffic such that police found it difficult to tell if human remains were there or animal remains.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices