Skip to content

Ask an Expert im new here,recently passed my theory test start training for module 1 in april newbee here New rider

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > New rider > im new here,recently passed my theory test start training for module 1 in april newbee here

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

bikerbear1966

Mar 12

im new here,recently passed my theory test start training for module 1 in april newbee here

hi guys im new here recently passed my theory test (2nd time)been riding a 125cc for 12 months rode a 400cc on DAS 2 weeks ago but i felt nervous n felt i wasnt ready for it but i managed the 2 hour roadride i feel more comfy n confident on my 125cc maybe im not ready to ride a big bike yet ? but i managed ok.any tips will be greatly received:wink:

[This Topic has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (28 March 2012 21:48)

Post a message in New rider

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gingerB

Aug 09

gingerB says:

Hello

Welcome bikerbear - does the 1966 refer to your age?  If so I'm just a bit older than you and if this is ur 1st time biking don't rush yourself to get on a big bike.  I came back to   biking 6 years ago after 25 years away and stayed on a 125 for a couple of years.  Took me test on a 125 nearly 3 years ago and then got a 650 a year after passing so it was restricted to 33bhp for a year before unleashing the full set of ponies.  It matters not what you ride so long as you enjoy it and when the big buggers scream past you just smile at the money you are saving being on a 125.

Just make sure you take your test before 2013 when it all changes again - and have a summer of fun beating all the traffic jams - remembering of course everyone in a car is a numpty :smiley:

Reply to this Topic
bikerbear1966

Mar 12

125cc as opposed to 400cc

yes ive met some bad car drivers was nearly knocked off a few weeks ago a woman went straight over a junction never braked n never saw me yes i was born in 1966 lol i tried a 400cc i rode it ok but didnt handle it as well i guess im not quite ready yet so will stick with my 125cc may even take my test on my 125cc been riding my 125cc for 12 months now and feel confident on it will  see what my new instructor says when he assesses me on 8th april

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It is

a big jump going from a 125 to a 400-600cc machine, not just in terms of power and performance, but also in weight (esp when using centrestands) and windblast.

Part of it of course is having enough sense to respect a bigger bike and its power: a 125 needs to be ragged to wheeze itself up to traffic speed, whilst a bigger bike needs far more precise throttle control.

Don't know what machine (400) you've been on, but I made a similar jump to a 600, and what I did (the 600 had a centrestand) was put it on the centrestand and get used to the sensitivity of the throttle - by doing that, I didn't get caught out when I took it on the road. As for the weight, again, it takes getting used to; most riders drop a bike (sometimes their 2nd or 3rd bikes) at some stage in their riding career (usually early on due to inexperience). Its more easily done than people think.

As for windblast, stick to speeds that your comfortable with, and build up slowly from there. If possible, try and stick to quiet, familiar-ish roads whilst you get used to a new bike; fretting about brain-dead drivers / diesel spillage etc can be hard work if you don't know how the bike will respond.

Hope that helps.

Reply to this Topic
bikerbear1966

Mar 12

bigger bike

hi AdieR,thnx for ur reply i must admit im more comfortable on my 125cc yes its took a while with speed but on a single carriageway im going upto 55mph now i use to ride slower but the speed n experience on my 125 is coming gradually as for a bigger bike i think i,ll do my test on a 125cc then once ive passed i think i,ll get a 250cc n keep that for a couple of years and work my way up that way.ive been riding a 125cc 18 months now so i feel once ive done my test is to go onto a bigger bike n not the big bike.got training for my mod 1 next month n feel ready for my test ive got about 7000 miles road riding as a learner under my belt.:smile

Reply to this Topic
Shaun25

Mar 12

Shaun25 says:

Not alone :)

Hi Bikerbear, ive got my module 1 in april too, im bricking it already. Ive been riding for 12 months aswell, but im doing the restricted test.

When are you doing your test?

Reply to this Topic
bikerbear1966

Mar 12

test

hi shaun25 i,ll do my test once ive passed my module 1 which i hope to take in the next month or so i feel ive done enough road riding now got a lesson next week so i should know more then. ps. i too am going for a restricted licence

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
babyblade41

Aug 05

babyblade41 says:

go over to the general board

you will probably get more people on there who can give you loads of advice and don't be afraid to ask obvious questions, especially about the tests.

They are a really strange lot but won bite and on he whole nice peeps:wink:

Reply to this Topic
marnold17

Apr 12

marnold17 says:

hi biker bear

hi iam also in the process of doing my das i had my 2 hour conversion/evaluation last saturday, i took that on a honda cbf500 to be honest i was very nervous getting on it to start it seemed really heavy but after around ten min i found it easier to ride than my cbf125, it just seemed more planted and so much smoother. you are taking the right approach any way, you should only stick with what you feel comfortable with, good luck with your test, hope you do well. and maybe your instructor put you on the wrong type of bike, just a thought. good luck anyways mate :smile

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices