Skip to content

Discuss This Casey Stoner: Hard to judge Ducati potential MotoGP

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > MotoGP > Casey Stoner: Hard to judge Ducati potential

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Matthew Birt  says:

Casey Stoner: Hard to judge Ducati potential

Reigning MotoGP world champion Casey Stoner says it is difficult to gauge the potential of Ducati’s new factory GP12 ahead of the start of the new 1000cc era in Qatar next week. Ducati has rolled out a radically revised concept this season including a new engine position and conventional aluminium twin spar chassis to try and improve front-end performance with the...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 March 2012 11:14)

Post a message in MotoGP

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

not a dig either but...

Yes I was referring to the last statement and I agree it is not particularily important at the moment but it is what will go down in the history books!

It would not be brought up normally but people like yourself and a few others keep trying to tell everyone that Stoner is a better rider than Rossi.

At the present time yes he is but considering the different times of their careers it can be expected especially last year with Stoner on what is regarded by most as the best bike on the grid and Rossi on a flawed bike that could only be ridden to any success by one rider.

Regarding the Panigale I think you know as well as me you cannot compare it with the moto GP bike.Are you trying to tell me if Rossi jumped on the Honda or the Yamaha he would have the same problem he has with the Ducati? Seems strange how it is not only Rossi that has problems with the GP bikes!

Stoner is a tremendous rider with a stunning riding style but he will never ever be in the same league as Rossi and the history books will back up that fact.

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Calm down Buel...

Regarding the Panigale I think you know as well as me you cannot compare it with the moto GP bike.Are you trying to tell me if Rossi jumped on the Honda or the Yamaha he would have the same problem he has with the Ducati? Seems strange how it is not only Rossi that has problems with the GP bikes!

How on earth have you read that as a dig at Rossi? My statement about the monocoque frame concept had nothing to do with Ross or anyone else.... just the bike.

I'm well aware that a Motogp bike is a different animal from a superbike, however, they aren't exactly hanging around in world superbike racing and the Panigale chassis on full lean is still being pushed damn hard with riders of that standard on it. It's purely a thought that in Motogp, the monocoque design could have been a success with different tyres? If I recall, that was also Checa's opinion when he tested it - tyres not the chassis. A shame they never got to try the bike with different tyres. Guess we'll never know.

As for best rider, I don't care, but if you're going to compare and judge at least do it properly. As said many times, Rossi's record is just that, a past record. It has no bearing on the here and now and who is the better rider.  What if a rider turned up, was blindingly fast and won every race for the next two seasons and then retired. He's wiped the floor with everyone but just because he only has two titles, he's not as good a rider as someone who has been in the sport longer , therefore has had more success - even though he has beaten them comprehensively in the time they've raced together. I don't think so.

Right now, Stoner and Lorenzo have the beating of Rossi. No use moaning about them having better equipment, there was no moaning when Rossi had it.

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

I am calm ok!

Still cant see how you can compare the 2 bikes but as you have said the monocoque design may have worked with different tyres but I really do believe there was more to it than just tyres.

Talking about past records lets be fair now.Rossi is still riding and maybe or maybe not his days as a front runner in moto GP are over but as far as records are concerned he is more than capable of adding to his tally and I along with many others think he will add to his record.He is still more than capable of winning on the right bike whether in GP or WSB.

Regarding a rider coming along for two years and wiping the floor with everyone then quitting.That has never happened and it never will. I am not moaning about anything but just dont like when people(not you) come on here and critisise some of the best riders in the world.They all have an amazing talent and all the stupid bickering and insults are pathetic.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Hedgehog5

Aug 02

Hedgehog5 says:

Buell...

"Stoner is a tremendous rider with a stunning riding style but he will never ever be in the same league as Rossi and the history books will back up that fact."

Erm... he is in the same league... they race together... ?... they are compared every couple of weeks throughout each summer... why would Rossi race against people he doesn't consider "in the same league" as him & if he's in a league above them all why is he still losing?... over the 6 years they have been in the same league Stoner has beaten Rossi more times than Rossi has beaten Stoner (much of that time on a Ducati)... that will probably never change. Even during Stoner's rookie year the 20 year old kid beat the 27 year old world champion at the time pretty much 1 in every 3 races proving he was very much in the same league. The fact is still that Rossi's the most successful rider still racing... he's no longer the best (though he's not got the best from his bike yet... there is hope) but you can't take his record away from him... as you say, history.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Buelli you twat

They all have an amazing talent and all the stupid bickering and insults are pathetic.

Then stop propagating the nonsense! You're forever telling us that Stoner's record will never match Rossi's and he'll never be as great as Rossi.

Ho hum. As Hedgy says. Stoner has handed Rossi his arse 50%+ more often than the other way around in the 800 era. Unequivocally Stoner is the superior rider.  Not to mention being less catty, less manipulative and more humble.

Reply to this Topic
galaway

Dec 08

galaway says:

cassy ducati ?

checa  can make his ducati brake lap records

why carnt rossi borrow it ?

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Buel

You really do open yourself up to it...

You say be fair, but you are being anything but. You make excuses for Rossi only being beaten because he is on inferior equipment, therefore no comparison can be made. But you have no problem with the years that Rossi was on top drawer equipment and other riders weren't. Then it was a case of Rossi being better than the rest.

As an example  -  He is still more than capable of winning on the right bike whether in GP or WSB.

That statement can and has applied to many riders over the years and some have never shown their full potential because of the equipment they had. It doesn't just apply to Rossi. You shouldn't need to think too hard of what may have happened if Stoner had been on a Yamaha from 2006 to 2010.

You also refuse to accept that Rossi does not like competing on an equal status. Finally Yamaha forced it upon him with Lorenzo and ultimately he walked from the challenge.

If you're going to compare, be realistic.

Benny - you're not serious. That ambition outweighing talent comment was one of the funniest lines ever delivered in a pit garage and it totally threw Rossi who was probably confident of pulling of another of his PR stunts when he went in there with a media scrum in tow. The mischeivous look on Stoner's face when he said it was priceless. No tantrums, no aggro, just a great comeback. Bitter and sarcastic - you gotta be joking man. He was as cool as you like.

Back on topic, the potential of the Ducati can be unlocked with a redesign of the engine's power characteristics according to Capirossi - who has never ridden it...??

Reply to this Topic
Bultoboy

Apr 11

Bultoboy says:

Indeed

There's real stuff going on in the world today - and in stark contrast, bike racing is just a laugh and a cheap thrill.

True enough Benny true enough, with you on that one. Certainly not life or death to me.

It's pushing the boundaries a bit, but a fraction of the real stuff was giving Rossi a dose of his own on live TV - priceless.

For development, perhaps Ducati ought to let Checa compete on the GP12 in WSB - seeing as most of the Motogp hierarchy were in his garage at the weekend, reminding themselves of what it was like to win races.

Or how about they bring Biaggi back next year as Rossi's team mate - that should light the fire under Rossi's tail... If he comes back with Aprilia, like he is hinting, that should light it anyway

Reply to this Topic
Nostrodamus

Mar 09

Nostrodamus says:

Benny you little yellow nonce

just as some muppet did on MM last week, so you're confusing your perception with that of the multi dimesional world at large.

Now I've only 'known' you for a few short months across this forum, but surely you should be well aware that your opinion is far from being in lock step with that of the seething masses.

Then again as a Rossi fanboy perhaps you and the great unwashed are as one....

Reply to this Topic
buelligan272

Jul 06

buelligan272 says:

your unbelievable Bulto

Tell you what I might get more realistic when you stop being completely biased.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices