Skip to content

General Need some advice... Stolen bikes

You are in... Forums > General > Stolen bikes > Need some advice...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

badcompanybiker

Mar 12

Need some advice...

okay , lets start with the fact that , ive had 3 bikes stolen in 3 months ... my insurance is going mental , i ride carefully and considerately i never bother anyone else , but some *beep* decides to steal my bikes , ive tried so many different security devices , seems they can go through chain , alarm , immobiliser , steering lock and grip lock in under 3 minutes , they know exactly what time my workplace shutters go down and how long it takes for me to get my leathers ... basically I love riding , it was my life yea i was a learner but that didnt change anything , i felt like a biker through and through and i was proud , i have my tests booked and the last of my grans inheritance left to me which my bikes were purchased with , Do you honeslty think its a good idea to carry on riding ? i feel devastated and violated , all I want to do is enjoy the one thing in my life that makes me happy ... what do you think... ?

Thankyou 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 March 2012 15:10)

Post a message in Stolen bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Fit the usual security

but mount cameras where they're not easily visible (make sure there's a sign advising of CCTV), catch the robbin twat and call the law, or have a few handy 'friends' advise said twat of the error of his ways.

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

I wish

I thank you for your reply , there is cctv in operation and clearly signed its also next to a major road , seems they do not care , i have some 'friends' on the case but at the end of the day , do i risk the last bit of money i have left spare on a bike ? would a cruiser be less likely stolen ? The law havent done anything for me , no statements , no cctv checks , even though i have footage they will not look at it , theyve marked it on pnc as stolen but why the hell would i want a drilled cut and broken bike back ? its probably half way to congo by now ? i just want him either 'asleep' or locked up , its not fair dude , not fair...

Reply to this Topic
aehewitt

Jan 11

aehewitt says:

What

bikes have you had stolen?????

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

aehewitt ;

as i was a learner the were only a honda cbr 125 , yamaha yzf r125 & suzuki vanvan but you know thats a lot of money to someone my age .. not to mention the feeling that your life is being intruded by a prat who takes pleasure in stealing joy...

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Bike security

Don't let this stop you riding. 

Cameras are of limited use.  They cannot prevent theft and often do little to identify those that that commit crime.  (Unless they are being monitored in real-time by someone who will send in the cavalry)

You need to vary your routine.  Assuming that you have a safe parking place at home do not ride to work for a while.  Scum will know that a stolen bike is usually replaced and often return afer a while to nick your new bike.  Also, before retrning to riding check out what other parking is available.  Have several different parking spots so nobody gets used to your bike being in the same place every day.  Look for less vulnerable parking.  If you have something like an NCP car park or similar near you consider this a couple of times a week.  Sure, it costs but someone will be on site - which will deter would-be thieves.  Also, park you bike in plain view. It is less likely to be stolen if someone has to cut through your chain with an audience.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

marcus marsh

Thankyou for your reply , i hadnt considered that they would come back for a new replacement ... jesus christ there really is some bad people out there .... your answer makes perfect sense , there is a multi story private car park which is ussually £3 an hour but bikes are free , maybe that could be a solution , i need a new bike anyway if i pass my test , is a cruiser less likely to be nicked ? also have you any ideas on a particular model for a beginner to bigger than 125's ? a reply would be most appreciated

thankyou very much

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

If the police

have done nothing, try complaining to their complaints body. Repeated crime doesn't look good for them and will gradually filter back to insurers that the area is high risk so all insurance goes up. Ask your employer (?) if you could store the bike in a building at work  Don't give up riding, or they've won. 

Don't know which if any bikes are less likely to be stolen. And if its your bike, it isn't only a 125, its your bike. When  you pass your test if you're on restricted bhp, go for something light so that reduced power doesn't hamstring the thing completely. Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM/Honda CB500/Kawasaki ER5?

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

mostly slowly

fantastic reply , people like you make me proud to be a part of the fraternity , i like the sound and look of the cb500 it looks like somethings that isnt too sporty and would handle being used in a cruiser style low rev ride , i wonder how easy it is to get it restricted to 33bhp... also do you reckon it could get up the plank easily that i use to get to my back garden ? i mean its a fat scaffolding plank and my 125 got up easy (sometimes quicker than i could) im just looking for some advice from experienced guys like you so i dont make a mistake.

thankyou very much

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Plank?

Very slippy when wet! Cover with chicken wire, well fastened down- or get a proper ally loading ramp for bikes.

Restrictor kit undoubtedly available online, or if you're buying from a dealer strike the deal but tell him it has to be restricted and derestricted after the qualifying period for the deal to happen.  He'll grumble and charge you, but if you haggle well, you might get away with a 50/50 split on costs. Tell him you'll return for service work and further kit, accessories etc, make him aware you're a potential long term customer.

Try and avoid planks unless you're Dougie Lampkin or similar.  Spend some time rejigging the way you get into the garden, or you're gonna drop your pride and joy,possibly on yourself!

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

youve done it again...

yet again you have made a perfectly obvious and easy answer that i failed to miss become a must for me , i assume that a 500 up a loading ramp is easy enough , i wish i could jiggle it all round but thats impossible .

and thank you for the tip on the restrictor side of things , however my regular mechanic is a good friend of mine and has 35 years of motorbike mechanics experience and runs a very popular garage so i might ask him to get hold of one for me , i hope you realise you have re installed my confidence and have prevented a biker losing his favorite joy in life and you have given me a perfect alternative.
thankyou very much ,

happy riding

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices