Skip to content

General Need some advice... Stolen bikes

You are in... Forums > General > Stolen bikes > Need some advice...

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

badcompanybiker

Mar 12

Need some advice...

okay , lets start with the fact that , ive had 3 bikes stolen in 3 months ... my insurance is going mental , i ride carefully and considerately i never bother anyone else , but some *beep* decides to steal my bikes , ive tried so many different security devices , seems they can go through chain , alarm , immobiliser , steering lock and grip lock in under 3 minutes , they know exactly what time my workplace shutters go down and how long it takes for me to get my leathers ... basically I love riding , it was my life yea i was a learner but that didnt change anything , i felt like a biker through and through and i was proud , i have my tests booked and the last of my grans inheritance left to me which my bikes were purchased with , Do you honeslty think its a good idea to carry on riding ? i feel devastated and violated , all I want to do is enjoy the one thing in my life that makes me happy ... what do you think... ?

Thankyou 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 March 2012 15:10)

Post a message in Stolen bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Well I hope it works out

for you.

A 500 up a ramp needs to be carefully done, lean it into you and go very steadily.  Good luck:winkie:

Reply to this Topic
JAWAPAWA

Sep 10

JAWAPAWA says:

ok

perhaps a heavier bike might deter them....also fit a ground anchor and try an almax chain with that

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

thank you to both of you . 

upon joining these forums i learned a great deal even within a day , just goes to show that the biking fraternity is alive and well , and even the most experienced riders will help a newbie.
im a regular reader of MCN and the community inside is even better.
thank you very much i wish you the best.

Reply to this Topic
mostlyslowly

Apr 09

mostlyslowly says:

Bad Co

Check your pm's:smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

My thoughts:

many CCTV systems (esp local authority systems) tend to be rubbish; it's installed on a cost basis (trying to cover as much ground as possible for the least amount of money), and images tend to be grainy (an £80 camera can't compete with a £300 one).

A decent chain will have a significant cost - but its still cheaper than replacing bikes or paying ever higher insurance premiums. A chain is only as good as its weakest link (inc the "solid" object its attached to). Its not unknown for thieves to take road signs down where a bike they want is chained to it.

Small bikes (50s / 125s) are almost always the first to be targetted - partly because they're lighter in weight and easier to steal, and partly because they're easier to get rid of (sell on) (anyone can run a 50/125 on a CBT, whereas a 500cc / 600cc bike requires a full licence which reduces the number of likely buyers.

Keep tabs on your mirrors when you go to / from work and other regular places, and try to vary your route: thieves will follow a bike they want for some days to find out where the bike is likely to be at given times, and will survey security at these locations. Also, as far as possible, try and keep your bike under cover - a thief might be less inclined to go looking if he has to make an effort to see what it is.

There are tracking systems available (BikeTrac I think is £300 fitted with £100 / year subscription), which *might* help get you bike back - but it only helps if the Police do their job.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices