Skip to content

Discuss This Motorcycles to ride out the fuel strike General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Motorcycles to ride out the fuel strike

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Liam Marsden  says:

Motorcycles to ride out the fuel strike

On Monday, petrol tanker drivers from Unite, which represents drivers who deliver 90% of Britain's petrol, voted to strike after a dispute over pay and conditions. Downing Street has since encouraged drivers to make 'contingency plans', which has led to drivers panic buying as much fuel as they can. So with Britain's drivers pumping the forecourts dry, and the tankers due on strike, MCN...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 March 2012 15:40)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
HkUk

Nov 11

HkUk says:

I get 35-36 km/l ( 100mpg ) from a 2000 XLR250R with >30Hp. It is 114kgs dry, 130kgs fully-fuelled. I fitted 17" wheels, Dunlop a10 tyres, sport exhaust, bigger jets, K&N air filter and re-geared it. The tank is 9 litres so 200 miles a tank. It's a lot of fun too = I can carry very high corner speed so I don't ever slow down for anything !

Reply to this Topic
charlesq_70

Aug 07

charlesq_70 says:

Kawasaki Vulcan 900

My VN900's 20L tank is good for around 175 miles of commuting or closer to 250 miles mixed riding.

Reply to this Topic
fazermanvfr

Mar 12

fazermanvfr says:

tank range and mpg

when my wife first passed her test she had a cb500 and to start with the mileage was in the 70s but soon dropped as experience and speed increased lol always did over 200 to a tank though and the fazer 600 i used to have always managed 200 miles per tank it was was one of the first ones the later ones had bigger tanks so must have bigger ranges still.

Reply to this Topic
alex819

Mar 12

alex819 says:

gs500f

I get 60+mpg on my 2006 gs500f and it has a 20 litre tank, should be able to do about 260 miles on a tank, ive done 240 =D

Reply to this Topic
snave

Aug 02

snave says:

ill-considered rot

It's got nothing to do with fuel economy, and everything to do with fuel tank range - and options: My Skoda Fabia VRS does 60+mpg, can reach 89-91 when driven in full economy mode AND has a tank range in excess of 650 miles. It's also diesel-powered, which means `alternative sources` of supply beyond garage forecourts. When motorcycles are garage-bound or sitting at the side of the road I shall still be travelling. Its a ludicrous proposition to even think that motorcycles can ride out a tanker strike. Unless it's a Track T800CDI or a military-surplus M1030M1

Reply to this Topic
billysollocks

Feb 09

What fuel strike? Ah, that would be the scaremongering by the inept government, which doubtless raised a lot of revenue while strengthening the tanker driver's case. You couldn't make it up......

Reply to this Topic
Robell

Aug 02

Robell says:

What a ridiculous set of examples to "ride out the fuel strike"
Average consumption of 41 - 50 mpg is barely better, in fact worse than many tin-cans.

Small 4-stroke singles are the way to go, if you're serious about mpg, where 100mpg can be regarded pretty much as a minimum.

BMW, and more recently Honda, are the only manufacturers I ever recall even mentioning mpg in their sales patter.

I can't help but think the bike industry as a whole is missing a huge sales opportunity here.

Reply to this Topic
STsteve

Feb 12

STsteve says:

I think it’s down to the weather! When it was foggy as fact I got about 55 MPG but when it’s dry and sunny I am lucky to get 40 MPG!!

Reply to this Topic
kennyk

Oct 05

kennyk says:

BMW G650 X Country

I ride a BMW G650 X Country with one tooth smaller front sprocket, it has a great performance and returns 80 mph,With its block tires it not only handles on road but is great on dirt paths rubble roads etc.I have toured Europe and the UK on it. Down side small tank.

Reply to this Topic
MartinZ

Sep 11

MartinZ says:

blade

I can get my Fireblade to show current fuel consumption at around 55mpg but not for long as it is so incredibly boring that I feel I am falling asleep. You got it completely wrong, the bikes are for fun not for high mpg numbers.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices