Skip to content

BMW BMW K1300S HP first ride K1300S

You are in... Forums > BMW > K1300S > BMW K1300S HP first ride

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

Phil West  says:

BMW K1300S HP first ride

With the new K1300S HP (for High Performance), BMW has taken one of its established, but aging standards, and sought to both extend its shelf-life and broaden its appeal by producing a limited edition, 'blinged-up' incarnation. The recipe is simple: tweak the cosmetics with a sprinkling of carbon fibre, tinted screen and model-specific paint job; add some substance by way of...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (29 March 2012 16:45)

Post a message in K1300S

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

Nice comment!

Nice comment:

"the K1300S has long been an impressively slick, stable and supersonic fast motorway devourer. Point me at Dusseldorf and I'll see you there by lunch, unruffled, unflustered, under the clock tower."

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

I have considered buying one of these over the years but the Blackbird and gen 2 Hayabusa offered more for less. Can't see any reason to buy one now.

Reply to this Topic
SensibleSteve

Feb 10

Agree with Snev. If you're in the market for one of these then you have to consider the ZZR14 or Busa, and when you do you'll get more (power, handling, reliability ;-) with them for less. You have to *want* a K1300S to buy one over the other options ... and you'll be very happy with your purchase, I'm sure!

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

K1300S is the best handling of the bunch

Gents, I totally disagree about Busa and ZX14 offering more.  All they offer that could considered to be more is a tad more useable power, but as a whole K1300S kills them on the road. K1300S is lighter by about 40 or so pounds, and corners much better. The Busa and the ZX14 (ZZR14) are primarily straight line drag bikes, the K1300S is fine all rounder with a long list of features, that none of the two offer.  

'Busa is a dinosaur in some ways, but good to see that Kawa has given new life to the ZX14.  But the K1300S with 0-60 in 2.8 seconds and cornering prowess closer to the superbikes, than the hypersports is still the king hyperbike for those who want to actually ride, not just drag.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

shiva.....

"The Busa is like a Dinosour" thats correct.... a giant of a machine, which will go down in history as the best of its time. Seriously shiva go ride one or better still own one then you will see why so many have been sold around the Globe. as previously stated there is no reason to pay so much more for a lesser machine. By the way the Gen 2 Busa is only 4 ish years old and was Suzuki's answer to the ZZR1400 of 2006 (although the Gen 1 was just as good as that Bike apart from the Brakes). As for reliability I have had absolutely no problems at all in 77000 miles on 2 gen 2s but have heard some pretty bad stories of the K1300s. Never been "killed by a Bimmer on the road ,never ever , won't happen , ever....... not in the real world.

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

snev, I am not going to bench race with you.  you obviously love your 'Busa, as do so many.  And you are entitled to it.  'Busa is a legend and it has been around for about 13 years and it used to be the king.  But the Gen 2 'Busa has been quite disappointing and in many ways Suzuki handed over the title to Kawasaki on a silver platter.

You have to give it to Kawasaki to keep pushing the envelope and for Suzuki to keep resting on their former glory days.  ZX10 was as cutting edge as you can get and 2012 Gixxer 1K is like a time capsule from 2005. 

So again, no matter what I say, you're going to continue to believe that your 'Busa is the best bike ever made in the history of humanity, but I have ridden it and it's a dinosaur compare to what the others are putting out: It has outdated brakes, crappy & low end suspension and a pig going around corners.  But I am sure you wouldn't trade it for anything.  However, I am used to big and clunky bikes, as in addition to my K1300S, until a week or so ago, I owned a 1999 K1200RS from new with 80,000 miles (130,000 KM) that I loved so dearly.  But I had to part with it, so I sold it to a good chap.

The K1300S was picked at the king hypersport by Sport Rider when it came out and frankly it's a flawless bike.  There were some initial issues with bad switch gears which were swapped under warranty, otherwise, it's been an incredible bike.  And it corners like a bike about 80 lbs lighter. 

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

For my money

I would get a Honda VFR1200F, now that Honda has addressed the too small fuel tank and remapped the engine so mid-range power is not dulled in 1st and 2nd gears. Better handling, brakes and quality than the BMW K1300S, Kawasaki ZX-14R/ZZR1400 and Suzuki Hayabusa, and the most comfortable of the four. Sure the Honda is the least powerful with only 145-HP or so at the rear wheel, but the power deficit will only be missed at the drag strip, and not in the real world.

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

oh... so I'm wrong then. The K1300s is flawless the perfect bike ever made...

Reply to this Topic
SHIVA_

May 08

SHIVA_ says:

SNEV, I didn't say it was the perfect bike ever made, you said it.  I don't use phrases like that.  I just said it's flawless, as it is an awesome machine, that goes very very fast, comes with loads of features, corners great and it's reliable and looks hot and also lean.  Both the 'Busa and Kawa look too fat for my taste and are both near 600lbs.   I remember when 'Busa was king.  The fact is, I love this class of bikes, the hypersports, I have always loved them.  You probably do too.

I have ridden the 'Busa have you ridden the K1300S?

Reply to this Topic
snev

Jan 11

snev says:

shiva

No I have never ridden a k1300s but have a couple of mates who have paid much for theirs ,,,, and don't actually rate their bikes any higher than my busa and whilst riding on reel roads have struggled to stay with my Dinosour so I still have no desire to swap my £11000 bike for this £17000 revamp. Respect for your loyalty to BMW.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices