Skip to content

General The Bikers "nod" for moped riders. Pub Talk - over 18s only

You are in... Forums > General > Pub Talk - over 18s only > The Bikers "nod" for moped riders.

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jimjambutty

Mar 12

jimjambutty says:

The Bikers "nod" for moped riders.

I enjoy the bikers nod and the feeling of community that gives us....................even though its absolutely possible that the other biker is a total wanker. After all, we have all seen the real emergency programs. Not all crashes are caused by cars. Many by idiots flying around corners too fast. Now....I nod to moped and scooter too. Mostly they dont notice or dont reply. I know most of them will either die early or get cars..............but SOME surely become oustanding members of the motorcycling community. Should we nod or ignore..............or give a "special" nod or gesture. I feel I know whats coming!!! Any thoughts?

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (30 March 2012 16:17)

Post a message in Pub Talk - over 18s only

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Will125

May 11

Will125 says:

Different signs

A special sign, globally recognized would be awesome.

Personally I believe that if they are riding with proper kit, then a bikers nod would suffice.

However if they are riding (as most do) in standard chav ware, or worse, shorts then a quick "wanker" sign does the job nicely.  

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

The Nod

The acknowledgement of another PTW user, on any machine, is more likely to be made by those who consider bikes a lifestyle choice and that riding one is part of who they are.  This gives them an affinity wiith those of a similar disposition.  

Those who do not ackowledge other riders or reply when acknowledged probably view bikes merely as a means of transport and nothing else.  They are not buying into the biking scene.  And fair enough, there is certainly nothing wrong with that. 

As for "Most of them will either die early or get cars", I don't think I would agree at all with that point of view.  

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
Tabasco

May 09

Tabasco says:

Will

I agree. Most of them are total wankers in t-shirts and sandles who need to be taken outside and shot in front of their families!:smiley:

Reply to this Topic
ajmcguk

Feb 12

ajmcguk says:

I picked up a new CBR125 yesterday and rode it 30 miles home on L plates. That's the first time I've ridden a bike ever apart from the day of my CBT which I did earlier this month.

It was so nerve-racking on the way home it was unbelievable - I felt like every road user hated me for being limited to 45mph on a sporty looking bike whilst wearing L plates.

But... quite a few times I noticed a 'real' biker head past in the opposite direction and give me a nod, and it gave me such a confidence boost / positive feeling that I actually started really enjoying the journey.

Now I just can't wait to get out on the bike again and keep on improving my riding ability.

So, a big thanks to the friendly bikers out there!...

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Generally

I try to nod if traffic / road conditions allow (even though my bike IS primarily transport).

Big bike or small, we all share the same risks and vulnerability on the road, plus of course, we all have to start somewhere.

As for scooter / moped riders, there will always be the kids in chav wear (maybe the don't fully appreciate the risks, maybe its a cost thing, maybe just not cool or fashionable to them), but equally there will be riders who still want to be on 2 wheels but struggle with a bigger bike due to their age for example and find a big bike to cumbersome and clumsy, or who've gone through the 600 / 750 / 1000cc 150+mph missile stage and simply want to slow down.

Reply to this Topic
jimjambutty

Mar 12

jimjambutty says:

Nodding

I welcome all these thoughts! I like to nod and welcome and acknowledge. I have nothing against mopeds. I had a few when I was young, and I too knew sod all about safety (no cbt back then). Maybe the "antinod" for those bikers who clearly are flouting/unaware of the basics, eg shorts, riding like a prick................maybe a universal "nod " which politely draws attention to " come on mate....youre obviously stupid or a total cock brain..........get your act in gear". This just might get them wannabe riders doing the right thing??!!

Reply to this Topic
brutale r

Dec 07

brutale r says:

i

only nod to fizzy riders

jimjambutlicker you said ............even though its absolutely possible that the other biker is a total wanker. hello to you im one of them lol:lol::lol::lol:

Reply to this Topic
eatcs01

Aug 02

eatcs01 says:

nodding

I try to nod or wave to EVERYONE on a bike. Moped, Harley or sports bikes.

Reply to this Topic
samuraiguitars

May 06

I nod to all and sundry on a bike

But you've got to draw the line somewhere people.
SCOOTERS!!!! get real:biggrin:

Reply to this Topic
LEO61

Aug 08

LEO61 says:

Moped riders

I always nod to acknowledge fellow riders whatever they ride. We all had to start somewhere !! :biggrin::biggrin:

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices