Skip to content

General alarm disk lock verdict ? General

You are in... Forums > General > General > alarm disk lock verdict ?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

badcompanybiker

Mar 12

alarm disk lock verdict ?

Hi Ive been searching around for some security devices and ive come across this one : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alarm-Security-Disc-Brake-Lock-for-Suzuki-Yamaha-Kawasaki-Honda-Any-Motorbikes-/300643183940?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item45ffbaed44#ht_4214wt_1110

Can anyone tell me if this is any good ? the price makes me wonder ... surely it cant be that good for that....

any replies will be appreciated.

Thankyou 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 March 2012 12:49)

Post a message in General

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Thinkladybiker

Oct 11

Alarmed Disc Locks ........

I had one - not the one shown in the link but something very similar and found that the alarm itself stopped working pretty quickly. No one takes any notice of alarms anyway and the important bit - the disc lock - is the bit that matters, so i just use it anyway and don't worry that it's not alarmed.  

So, my advice would be just buy a decent, sturdy disc lock :smile

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

It might

deter an opportunist thief, but a determined thief will still have your bike, however secure - he'll be tooled up, clued up and nothing (except maybe armed guards) will stop him.

I look at security in proportional sense: I might use a £30 lock on a £500 runabout bike, but I'll spend £200 - £300 on security on a £5000 bike, and try (as far as possible) to chain it to a solid object (preferably a street lamp or similar) or in a busy area (where a thief can't work unseen).

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

^^^^^^^

That,get a good disc lock or better still a chain and padlock,then chain your bike to another bike thats chained ie link the chains or an unmovable object, if at home then lock to a ground anchor.

http://www.torc-anchors.com/security-chains.php

All gimicks aside you get what you pay for, a bike locked to unmovable object using a quaility chain and lock is harder to nick than a bike that can be picked up and put in a van even if fitted with a fancy disc lock thingy.

Check this :shock:

http://youtu.be/VC3hFr8p2ck

Reply to this Topic
bmwgs

Mar 10

bmwgs says:

i use one chain and padlock to lock my bike to a fences and i put a proper bike lock thought my back wheel and frame whit an alarm build in and a U lock though my front wheel  so it will slow them down my if they cut them all off then they can have it.

Reply to this Topic
d19yda

Mar 10

d19yda says:

alarm disc lock

i got one from ebay....
was only about 15 quid and its pretty good! If u so much as touch a bit of rubber it squeels its head off..... great for a garage but not great for outside....!

Davie

Reply to this Topic
Shaun25

Mar 12

Shaun25 says:

Xena

I own a Xena XX6, its the 2nd one ive had dude to malfunction of the alarm and now this ones playing up :-/ Only had it 3 months, but luckily i got it from an official distrubuter, so can get it replaced.

I prefere them to chains when im out and about, but at home i have the disc-lock, chain and ground anchor.

Reply to this Topic
yamtcat

Jul 05

yamtcat says:

Oxford Boss Alarmed Disc Lock

I've been living with one of these for a month now, went for it as cheaper alternative to bike alarm and can keep if I change bike....and portable.

BUT...

Im not sure about other makes but this one doesnt give you very long to get the thing unlocked before it blasts your neighbours with 110db!

Its thick too so worth checking it'll fit through disc first, doesnt fit through all the bits on mine so can leave you with awkward positioning...bearing in mind you'll prob need to lift it up to see which way key goes in without bending the disk...in a v short time!

Have also found its easy to have the first key slot twisted slightly round so that you cant push it all way in without a minor adjustment...not a big deal but rem the short time you have to stop it going off lol

Getting used to it now though but still the odd moment I cant get it stopped in time.

Wow I can waffle, main thing it check is it fits through your disc.

Cheers

Nick

Reply to this Topic
stirfry

Jan 08

stirfry says:

As with

previous comments the alarm doesn't last but the lock may encourage the thief to steal the bike next door without any lock.

Oh I bought one from liddle a few years ago. Unfortunately I forgot I had it after a shopping trip. I then quickly remembered as I was unceremoniously thrown into the road.

Upon inspection the lock had jammed on my brake so I had to saw it off. It didn't prove to be too difficult as it was soft as shit and as a bonus plenty of people were happy to help me even though they did not know it was my bike.

Reply to this Topic
badcompanybiker

Mar 12

thanks

thanks for all your help guys its much appreciated !

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices