Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

paulh64

Mar 12

paulh64 says:

zephyr engine problems

hi

i have a 1992 kawasaki zephyr 550 7,000 miles it was parked up for about 9yrs when i tryed to get it back on the road it was only firing on 3 cylinders no1 was not firing.took to a garage they fixed the problem the fuel had clogged up in the carbs new jets were fitted and the carbs cleaned the bike was once again running on 4 cylinders but after about 2 months no4 cylinder stopped firing and fuel mixed with black soot or oil do not which was leaking from the bottom of the exhaust joints. i took the plug out to check for a spark which there is but when the engine is turned over fuel is shooting out of the spark plug hole on each compression.have i got more carb problems or could it be deeper trouble like valves

any ideas welcome thanks paulh 

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (31 March 2012 18:02)

Post a message in Technical

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Black soot

(dry): over-rich fuel mixture, choked air filter, or your choke isn't right.

What colour are your plugs, are they wet or dry if you take them out? And as daft as it might sound, you do have the right spark plugs in (and not mixed types between cylinders?)? How old are your HT leads? If a spark is weak it might not be enough to fire the mixture properly.

Does it use a significant volume of oil? Or does the exhaust smoke look blue (or indeed, black)?

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

flooding

Welcome paulh,have you a vacuum pipe running from the petrol tap to this no 4 cyl inlet manifold ? If so is there petrol present?

Any overfilling of petrol in the carbs should come out and down the overflow pipes to the floor near the side stand.

Reply to this Topic
kcmc

Jan 08

kcmc says:

Kawasaki 550 Zephyr 1992

Hi Paul64 and welcome to the site:smile

It could be quite a few things,especially as the bike has been laid up for so long,and it being 20years old as well :<>  rubber items left for long periods without use tend to perish.So as Jaffa90 says it could be the diaphragm in the fuel tap has rotted and is now leaking neat fuel into a cylinder?  but i think the vacuum pipe goes to number two or three carb(so are you sure its number four not firing?).If one of the throttle slide diaphragms has rotted and torn and is not lifting enough?it could be cutting of the air and again allowing just fuel through with not enough oxygen to fire the cylinder( throttle slide needle would cut off main jet but not pilot jet).But with the carbs being in the state they must have been i would probably say your right in thinking its carb problems again,could be more debris from a rotting fuel tank coming through to jam in one of the float cut off needles,so now the float bowl is over flowing into a cylinder?.(Have you got your cylinder arrangement the right way around?Left cylinder,if your siting on the bike is number one,and number four is on the right)Good Luck

KCMC:tongue:

Reply to this Topic
paulh64

Mar 12

paulh64 says:

zephyr engine problems

hi adier

the plugs are new the ht leads are the same age as the bike i have a very good spark the no4 cylinder thats not firing the plug is soaking wet with fuel with no colour change from new the other 3 plugs are the right colour like a light black and are dry there is blue smoke on start up but that stops when the engine warms up have not noticed any drop in oil level

Reply to this Topic
paulh64

Mar 12

paulh64 says:

zephyr engine problems

hi jaffa90

not sure about the vacuum pipe i will check. there are overflow pipes as you said but they are dry no fuel. overflowing.[ the fuel floods no4 cylinder then its forced into the exhaust]

Reply to this Topic
paulh64

Mar 12

paulh64 says:

zephyr engine problems

hi kcmc

thanks for letting me know what to look out for will have to strip the carbs again its is no 4 cylinder not firng as no4 is getting flooded with fuel

Reply to this Topic
jaffa90

Mar 09

jaffa90 says:

overflow

kcmc will be right if there`s no overflow pipes hanging and neat fuel will go into the cyl.A drenched spark plug will not fire through lack of oxygen as said.

Also if possible an inline fuel filter between the tank and carbs.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
64gary

Apr 12

64gary says:

flooding

Hi all

Paul's mate here,yes she was flooding on No4 into exhaust & out of overflow .
He said there was a  possible bent needle jet so swopped No1 with No4. 1 still fired 4 still flooded so eliminated bent needle.Stripped carb & cleaned looked clean & all jets looked clear float was free & in good nick diaphragm also was good as was all petrol pipes.Started her up NO flooding but still not running on 4,spark good so went for old trick of blocking air port between airbox & carb with just a paint scraper slid between & threre she was running on 4 yippee.BUT you cant ride round with a bloody paint scraper stuck out the side:lol: any ideas!!!!! 

Reply to this Topic
paulh64

Mar 12

paulh64 says:

zephyr engine problems

hi all

update on the zephyr engine. my mate came around and tinkered with the no4 carb he has stopped the flooding and got the bike running on all 4 cylinders but the only way this can be done is by starving the no4 carb of air from the air intake with a piece of card remove the card and no4 stops firing again. so we thinking the carbs need to be  re-tuned to get the mixture air/ fuel correct. do this sound if we are  looking in the right direction?

Reply to this Topic
paulh64

Mar 12

paulh64 says:

zephyr engine problems

hi all

update on the zephyr engine. my mate came around and tinkered with the no4 carb he has stopped the flooding and got the bike running on all 4 cylinders but the only way this can be done is by starving the no4 carb of air from the air intake with a piece of card remove the card and no4 stops firing again. so we thinking the carbs need to be  re-tuned to get the mixture air/ fuel correct. do this sound if we are  looking in the right direction?

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices