Skip to content

Ask an Expert Does this e-mail look suspicious? Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Does this e-mail look suspicious?

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Does this e-mail look suspicious?

I'm in the process of selling my RS125. It's the first time I've had a crack at selling a bike. I've received two e-mails about a day after putting it up on Ebay (don't worry, it's on MCN as well :wink:), both gentlemen are willing to pay the asking price - more suspiciously, both are petroleum engineers who can't view it in person, both will only pay by Paypal, both don't have access to internet banking and both will arrange a courier/agent to pick up the bike.

I smell a rat.

I'll post the e-mails I've received to see what you guys think.

It's good to read from you, just to let you know that i'm okay with the condition and price of this item, i'm seriously interested and ready for its purchase. Sorry i will not be able to deal locally as im a Petroleum Engineer once again I would have love to deal locally view what i'm buying face to face and pay in cash but i'm always BUSY at work, so my form of payment will be by paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online (i also don't have internet banking with it), I have my bank account attached to my PayPal account, and this is why i insisted on using PayPal to pay, all i will need to process the money into your paypal account is your PayPal e-mail address and if you don't have a PayPal account yet, you can set one up at www.paypal.com it won't take you less than 5mins to do that.

I have a Private Courier Service agent ready to PICK It UP at your location and the Courier Service money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable Courier Service to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after the money has been successfully been transferred into your PayPal account This is not my first time doing this so i have everything under control.

If you also have some more pictures, might want to have a good look. Please do get back to me with your PayPal e-mail and full name on so i can make out payment ASAP. I want your honesty in return to my faithfulness to you during this transaction. Your immediate response is really appreciated.

I  just completed the payment  via PayPal,a total of £2,500.00 was sent, £2,100.00 for the merchandise and the extra £400.00 for my  shipper's charges and Western Union fee,which you will be  sending to the  address below via Western Union

Name :Adams Ajibola

Address : 10 Molete Street

City : Ibadan

State : Oyo State

Zipcode : 23402.

My  shipper would be coming around to your area to have the merchandise   picked up once you have sent the shipping charges fee to them,as i  need  you to let me know what time you want them to come and where(your  address & phone # you can be reached on) I will be waiting to hear from you once the money has been sent to my shipper.

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 April 2012 10:51)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

And here's the e-mail from the other potential buyer.

Thanks for the mail, i am buying this for my son as his birthday gift because i would not be around to celebrate with him i am a petroleum engineer currently on a rig offshore in UK and due to the nature of my work,phone calls making and visiting of website are restricted but i squeezed out time to check this advert and send you an email regarding it. In case if you will want to call me to talk to me on phone you can easily call me on this number +447024041070. I really want this item to be a surprise gift for my son so i wont let him know anything about the item until it gets delivered to him , i am sure he will be more than happy with the item.I insisted on paypal because i don't have access to my bank account online as i don't have internet banking, but i can pay from my PayPal account, as i have my bank a/c attached to it, i will need you to give me your PayPal email address so i can make the payment as soon as possible for the item and pls if you don't have PayPal account yet,it is very easy to set up, go on www.paypal.com and get it set up ,after you have set it up i will only need the e-mail address you use for registration with PayPal so as to put the money through.I have a pick up agent that will come for the pick up immediately you have receive the payment in full.what is your final price including the paypal charges?.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Scammers

mate, just ignore them, don't reply unless you want to wind them up.:wink:

Reply to this Topic
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Scam

Absolutely scams.  It couldn't be more obvious.  Stay well clear!! 

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Yep

scam - esp if its from Nigeria.

If you're changing you're bike, you could also consider trading in: you'll get less money that way, but if you use a reputable dealer it'll save you from tyre-kicking time-wasters, and people potentially looking to steal your bike.

Reply to this Topic
MakemRider

Jul 11

MakemRider says:

Defo a scam

I had a similar experience. Reading in to the emails from the 'buyer' he didn't really know what he was buying. The fact that he wants you to pay the courier with money he's paying you is the big give away. You would pay the shipping fee via western union, I doubt if the bike would be collected and you certainly woudn't get the money via paypal.

Anything that involves

Nigeria

Shipping Agents

Western Union

You sending the excess the 'buyer' is 'paying'

Describing the thing you are selling as the 'item'

is highly likely (99%+) a scam, don't get caught, I didn't but many have.

Reply to this Topic
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

Thanks one and all.

Thank you to everyone on here for confirming my suspicions. - let it be a warning to others.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices