Skip to content

Ask an Expert Small capacity motorbikes Buying & selling bikes

You are in... Forums > Ask an Expert > Buying & selling bikes > Small capacity motorbikes

Got something to say?

Got something to say?

Go to most recent reply

randalllinfoot

Apr 12

Small capacity motorbikes

Hey everyone,

So, I have grown up on motorbikes and riding great roads, however I feel the current crop of bikes are just too quick for the road to exploit them and have fun on. I ride a CBR600f and a Suzuki SV1000S. the CBR is a commuting hack, so never gets fully wound up, but the SV is just too quick for the road. its putting out 120BHP at the rear wheel (with a little fettle).

I have had an Aprilia RS125 and a Honda VFR400 NC30 in the past and I absolutely loved these bikes, you could really work the engine and the gearbox and feel like you were riding the WHOLE bike. but with modern equipment, they are just too quick. I took out a new Daytona 675 for a test ride and it was AMAZING, but in third gear it will do well over a ton, which is not right on the road. however I LOVED the chassis and cycle parts (suspension, brakes, levers, quickshifter, frame, tyres etc), but I just want about two thirds the power…..

I am after a bike that feels like a sports bike with the quality kit riding position (arse up and head down) and a fairing, but has a REASONABLE engine in it. I think around 55-70BHP is fine for the road and geared for a top speed of around 120-140mph gives enough flexibility. However I just can't find anything out there. I don't want an old tatty 400. the Suzuki SV650 is great fun, but the chassis limits it as do the brakes etc. what I really want is a 400cc Triumph Daytona!

can anyone think of something to suggest with these criteria? your help would be much appreciated......

Thanks a lot

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (02 April 2012 17:04)

Post a message in Buying & selling bikes

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
MarcusMarsh

Aug 09

MarcusMarsh says:

Smaller Bikes

To achieve what you are looking for you will probably have to buy a bike similar to the SV and spend some extra cash on chassis / suspension upgrades.  I can't think of a bike that fits the bill straight out of crate.   

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Thing is

that it all seems to be headline-grabbing power & performance figures, rather than how useful the power / performance is.

The bikes that are derived from the top-of-the-range machines tend to be "detuned" for the road - but they tend to be built to a budget (hence the chassis limits, non-adjustable suspension etc).

To be honest, I can't think of many machines that would suit that criteria off the shelf either.

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Not a sports bike

but KTM 690 Duke? 67 bhp and WP suspension in a chasis that is less extreme than a supermoto

Reply to this Topic
randalllinfoot

Apr 12

KTM

I test rode the 690 Duke last week. the engine is a peach and pretty much the right amount of power, but it is definitly not a sports bike in its stance and chassis.

i did think i would love the KTM engine in the triumph chassis, or a V4 400cc engine in the triumph chassis, but playing that game is a whole other ball park than buying an 'off the shelf' bike!

Reply to this Topic
steveb

Aug 02

steveb says:

Not quite off the shelf

But it could be

http://www.gp45.co.uk/kit-and-price-options/

Reply to this Topic
Cyclonite

Oct 10

Cyclonite says:

SV650

you could always restrict a bike?

I really liked my sv when i had it and felt my bandit was more fun when it was restricted. 

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle