Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

My son understandably wants to get the fastest, coolest bike he can when he graduates from his 33bhp bike, but I feel strongly this is a bad idea, based at least in part of my own experiences of being a young lad. But if I really push it, the more he'd want it. What's the best approach? Your advice could help. Leave...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
Lukaz2205

Jul 05

Lukaz2205 says:

I went the same way, admittedly i never crashed it or broke it, the best way is tell him to pay for the upkeep, Tax, MOT, Insurance,fuel costs and servicing.

I saved on the servicing doing it myself but try these for figures

at 19 years old in RM11 area:

1995 ZX6R F1  Third Party Fire & Theft insurance - £1500 per year

Road Tax - £48 per year

MOT - about £25-30 a year

Fuel -  18 litre fuel tank so look about £22 per tank and running correctly you should see about 160miles to a tank.

can he afford to do it?

I did it when i was 19, and if i knew what i knew now....i wouldnt do it, it would save me a lot of aggro....admittedly it would have saved me some SP30's aswell.

If that doesnt work, he has 6 points for 2 years on his license, 2 SP30's and its revoked under new drivers act (like me) and i learnt my lesson pretty quick. got a VFR400 NC30 now lol.

Reply to this Topic
jeremyr62

Aug 02

jeremyr62 says:

Take out as much life insurance on him as possible. So at least when he buys the farm you can make some money out of it. This might make him realise the error of his ways too...

Reply to this Topic
sdarks

Apr 11

sdarks says:

Im now 20 and when i was 19 i got a CBR 600 as my first big bike. I think the loud exhaust and the low ridding position actually put me of going really fast because the sound and the feeling made me think i was going faster than i actually was. I am quite a sensible rider so it depends on your son's personality and what he wants to do. If he is the sort of lad that wants to go as fast as he possibly can everywhere then i think he is just as likely to crash a sports bike as any other bike. Fact is sports bikes look BOSS and if you pull up somewhere on a cool bike people pay attention.

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

Im 20 and i got a 2002 gsxr 750 straight of the back of a (dodgy) 33bhp cbr400, and i was completely fine. No crashes no tickets even though i ride enthusiastically, you will only get a ticket if you speed and become complacent. I found coming from a 400 it was a lot safer on the 750. You have more power to play with and don't have to do stupid moves because the bike is under powered. As long as he is sensible at first and gets used to the bike he won't have any problems. Also I suggest a decent pair of summer tyres (supercorsa's) because he will have to much grip to know what to do with which will help the power jump and the minimal tread will help him with throttle control in the wet.

Reply to this Topic
BigBad83

Nov 08

BigBad83 says:

Jump in feet first!!

I done my direct access when I was 21, first bike I bought was a zx6r. I would tell anyone looking to get a bike to do the same, why buy something you dont want and never be happy with it, besides, only goes as fast as you make it!!

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Does he still live at home?

Then tell him he can make his own decisions when he moves out.

When he goes and gets his Speed Spurt JiZZ-RR anyway, sell it.

Reply to this Topic
ljonny18

Aug 02

ljonny18 says:

I understand all comments and thoughts, however I am leaning more towards what "BigBad83" wrote. I moved from an AR50 (at 16) to a restricted ZXR400 (at 17) and then onto a ZX6R (at 19) with no problems whatsoever... I have had access to many other larger bikes (all in my early 20's). Looking back now I think the early "power' experiencing has benefited greatly my riding in the long run... It all depends on the person, how easily influenced they are and if they have there head screwed on (have enough common sense to avoid any sorts of danger / trouble) etc ...

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

See if you can get him to test ride a few bikes before buying, a 250, a 400 or whatever, just see what's more comfortable and easiest to ride safely. He may decide a middleweight adventure bike is best, or a 400 screamer, or he might just go for that sports 600. If he's not an idiot, he should be ok

Reply to this Topic
Minty75

Apr 12

Minty75 says:

It's not the bike...

Doesn't matter what he's riding, it's his attitude that matters, and typically we all think we are invincible at that age.
But even some 30, 40, 50, 60+ year olds sometimes ride like their on a racetrack, and ultimately it has to be accepted that there is an inherent risk in that.

If he's determined, then maybe suggest some advanced rider training?

I ride a cruiser and ride defensively, but it wouldn't have stopped me being wiped out last weekend - what did help me was looking ahead and realising the car driving ar$e coming the other way was going way too fast to make the corner on his own side of the road. He was a young lad - I know because he only missed me by inches, despite me having moved as far to the left as I could.

Reply to this Topic
fireblade40

Apr 12

fireblade40 says:

Its all about riding skills

I don't think the bike he chooses matters much. When I passed my test I moved up from a CBR125 to a ZXR400, and then on to my current CBR600. However, I am a much better and safer rider now than I was on the ZXR. This is because I did 4 race school days and joined the IAM in between having the two bikes - skills like knowing how to corner properly and advanced roadcraft are what keep you from being another statistic, not having a 'less sporty' bike. My advice is let him choose his own bike, but take him along to the California Superbike School at Silverstone and buy him the IAM skills for life package.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices