Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

My son understandably wants to get the fastest, coolest bike he can when he graduates from his 33bhp bike, but I feel strongly this is a bad idea, based at least in part of my own experiences of being a young lad. But if I really push it, the more he'd want it. What's the best approach? Your advice could help. Leave...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
BarbaricCub

Oct 09

BarbaricCub says:

Bike Vs Rider

As others have said it's about how he rides it, not the bike he has. It will only go as fast as he tells it to.
But it could pay off to get him looking at naked 600's. More road-use friendly mid range for some safer overtaking but less top end and more wind blast to discourage lunacy to an extent.

If he's a decent rider and has his head screwed on right, he should be fine on  just about anything. :)

Reply to this Topic
Abstract rude

Aug 08

I was the same

I started out at 17 with a restricted vfr800, it topped out at about 100mph all tucked in on the bike and was no where near as blisteringly fast as it should have been, but it was still quick enough, I learned alot about how to handle a big bike, doing the police bike safe day aswell, I had held my licence for 3 years now, and it's completely clean. In my opinion as a 20 years old with a full bike licence who's been there and bought the big bike straight away I'm proof that it's not down to what you ride it's how you ride it. If you really don't want him to get one though, show him some supermoto videos on youtube and he'll want one, thats what I did.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

Depends heavily

what age he is, and how long he's been riding (and what he's used to).

The insurance (if he's a young lad, or not been riding long) will likely be pretty hefty (even assuming he can get insurance on one) on a powerful bike - that in itself may be enough. Factor in also the cost of a drop (a fully-faired bike will likely bring a tear to his eye if he drops it).

Fact is (again, I don't know his age / experience, so this point will likely be one your son has yet to learn) that a skilled rider on a relatively mundane bike (Bandit / CB500) will run rings around an amateur on an R6 on a back road - there's only so much speed that can be carried round a bend in any case.

The jump *can* be made, but it does require the bike (and the power) to be respected, and sports bikes are something not everyone can get on with.

Reply to this Topic
fazermanvfr

Mar 12

fazermanvfr says:

training

get him to do advanced training it calms you down makes you look furher ahead and think more about what youre doing I was 39 when I passed my test and remember my first ride on a cb500 without the restraints of an instructor even that managed to scare me sh17less then but I soon adapted and had a 600 bandit for the first 2 years fast enough for lots of fun but steadier than some of the manic 600s out now but the thing is the handling wasnt as secure as sportier bikes either. the 600 fazer that followed it lasted me 7 years and i rode regularly with big 1000s and wasnt embarrased but like someone else said there was a lot less plastic and the insurance was way cheaper too in fact at 48 it is still half the price of the VFR800 that as replaced it theres a lot of truth in the fact thatthey only go as fast as you let em but you can let a big bike go faster than a small one if you want. and I find that big bikes command more respect whle little ones get more contempt if you know what i mean and i knew a kid that got killed coming off a bike at 30 mph and hitting a tree. track days are said to be safer if you can channel any desire for speed but you still need restraint on the road and sometimes you find the trackday type just get hooked on riding at that sped and want to do it everywhere. basically its down to common sense and demeanour there are pro and cons for all bikes

Reply to this Topic
joshcherry93

Jan 11

joshcherry93 says:

Expensive

Remind him that if he has a slide, it will get royally f**ked up, when i had a derbi senda 50, i crashed it about 5 times and you couldnt tell, one tumble on my fzr400 and it wont be looking pretty for a while! if he wants a 600 , hornet is the way forward. quick as fook but the lack of screen will prevent those stupid top speeds, plus they look the dogs with a pair of flatbars and a different can.

Reply to this Topic
draper12807

Feb 11

draper12807 says:

@Rogerborg

Why not just say tell him to walk or get a bicycle. I bet you don't even ride a bike, it's people like you who are not helping depleting bike numbers. A Young lad may jump on a fast bike and love it and be committed for the rest of his life, or get some shitty Chinese import and wish he had a car.

Reply to this Topic
rlf3

Jan 10

rlf3 says:

His choice

Given that he's now an adult and free to learn his own lessons from his own mistakes you need to just let him get on with it because the time for you to educate him has passed.

If he doesn't know what makes a decent road bike by now then he'll have to wait about two decades till he works it out for himself.

Reply to this Topic
redracer46

Oct 11

redracer46 says:

By telling him the truth...

That a 600 is not a 'proper' bike at all... 1000cc is minimum for a real bike.... Ha ha ha !!!!! Just kidding, not sure how you could convince him, maybe to explain that he would get more out of a bike on the road with his level of experience if he went for something that had more usable power in the ranges that his experience will most likely be at on the road. You could say that he could even just keep it for 1 year then move up?? I started on an SV650, did that for 18 months, then moved up to an SV1000 for 18 months, then from there the jump up to a litre sports. Stood me in good stead, each time getting accustomed to the jump in performance before going up a level. Granted a 1k sports has more power than you'd use anywhere on the road but arguably so has a 600 sports, its how you learn to use it first.

Reply to this Topic
SVLydia

Apr 11

SVLydia says:

respect the power

the bike is only as fast as the rider. at the end of the day he is the one that controls the throttle, so he must respect the power of the bike.
My brother learnt this the hard way, loosing control of his bike in an unexpected power wheelie on a steep slip road. he is now paralysed from the waist down. but he never once regrets his decision, and neither do i. he is now back racing the same bike on the track (with a few modifications of course)
i feel because my parents supported my brother and i's decision to get high powered bikes we were both more sensable in our riding :)
also if he's been stuck on 33bhp for two years like myself, he's probably more than capable to respect a bigger bike, so my advice would be just to support him in his decision and give him advice where necessary.

Reply to this Topic
speedo007

May 09

speedo007 says:

I think you can put yourself in trouble even with 33hp...I think it's just a matter of making sure he has the knowledge, proper training and head on his shoulders to be reasonable. What I don't like about the 600cc is that it's impossible to enjoy them while being legal, you need to keep them near the redline to get entertained. He should look for bikes like Z750, Fz8, SV650, Shiver 750, bikes like that will have more torque in normal riding speeds making the bike more fun without having to ride at 100+mph all the time to get a smile on your face (plus posture is much better).

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle