Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

My son understandably wants to get the fastest, coolest bike he can when he graduates from his 33bhp bike, but I feel strongly this is a bad idea, based at least in part of my own experiences of being a young lad. But if I really push it, the more he'd want it. What's the best approach? Your advice could help. Leave...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

600 sport bike?

No.

1000 sport bike?

Yes.

Reply to this Topic
Old geezer

Jun 03

Old geezer says:

elemeshko

Speed kills?......No it don't, bad riding/skills probably will.

If it was my son I'd expect him to have as much training as possible.....My parents made me, & I'm still here some 30+ years later!

Reply to this Topic
GHolmes81

Sep 08

GHolmes81 says:

Why not

Hi there, My first big bike was a brand new, out of the box Suzuki GSXR 600 K8, I loved this bike and the power that it had, i had a few silly moments on her but nothing we have`nt all done before. I suppose it depends on if he`s a twat on a bike or not, i`ve seen 50 year olds act like right cunts so age does`nt come into it, its all about the individual...I`ve recently looked at life a different way and decided that sports bikes aint for me so i`ve changed to all year round fun...KTM 450 EXC Ride safe people...

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Let him discover how much his insurance is...

Let him discover how much his insurance is - I guess he might change his mind then (or when he needs a car to take a girl out...).

Reply to this Topic
npcronin

Nov 10

npcronin says:

Why not?

My first bike was a brand new Triumph 675. Great bike, great times, a sport 600 is a must for any youth.

Reply to this Topic
pistonhead

Aug 08

pistonhead says:

I would suggest that he has a test ride on several types of bikes, naked, supermotard, sports etc and see which style of riding he prefers. If he’s never ridden a sports bike he may soon change his mind after finding the riding position uncomfortable. Of course there is the kudos attached to riding a sports bike but there is much more kudos attached to being a decent rider and riding the to the limit of the bikes capability and not your riding ability.

If he is still determined try and convince him that taking any one of the advanced riding courses on offer is a good idea.

Reply to this Topic
likesitfast

Sep 11

likesitfast says:

IAM or ROSPA training

There's nothing wrong with a fast bike but as many have already said you need the skill set to ride such a machine. Maybe you could buy him a course with IAM or Rospa. Not only will it give him a good foundation of skills to build on he'd meet a group of likeminded professional riders and potentially grow his group of regular rider mates?  Good luck. Also he could have it restricted for the first few months if you're really concerned?

Reply to this Topic
Chrisec87

Aug 04

Chrisec87 says:

Change your attitude

Hi there,

"My son understandably wants to get the fastest, coolest bike he can when he graduates from his 33bhp bike"

Nothing wrong with this, the fastest coolest bikes are usually the best equipped; better brakes, suspension, bigger tyres/contact patch and better quality parts and ergonomics. From his 33bhp period he should now know; the rules of the road, the vulnerabilities of a motorcylist, and most importantly that you can make any bike go as SLOW as you like.

"I feel strongly this is a bad idea, based at least in part of my own experiences of being a young lad."

When you were a young lad the very best motorcycles didn't have near the standard of equipment of today's budget 600s. The playgrounds of the roads were quieter and the training was poorer - tests consisted of riding round a housing estate without crashing to pass. Add to the fact that your son is a different person to you he is destined to ride differently. 

At 17 I was riding a restricted ZX6R. Derestricted at 18 - I rode this bike hard and fast, but always kept within my limits. This is key. Your son CAN ride anybike from 50cc to 2300cc - I would recommend a decent 1000cc naked or sports 600. The important thing is that he understands his own limits and stays within them because ultimately a sports 600 will be far exceed his limitations compared to that of a 600 naked.

Reply to this Topic
Chrisec87

Aug 04

Chrisec87 says:

Forgot Something

"How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?"
You would be doing your son a disservice convincing him of this. But if you HAD to convince him, which from my experience (now 24 riding for 8 years) is a bad idea, then I'd tell him:

""Son, the throttles on sports 600s are constantly pinned open. All crashes on a sports 600 are at 150mph+ Nobody in the history of the world has ever crashed at 30mph or less on a sports 600. You should buy and ride a naked 600 - even if you chose to ride at the top speed (for naked 600s could be upto 130mph) then it is impossible to crash because there are no clip on handlebars or side fairings which are the cause of all crashes. In the impossible event that on the naked you crash into a car or something, even at top speed of 130mph, you will be uninjured because everybody walks away from crashes on a naked.

Lastly, I rode a sports 600 when I was a lad and I crashed and didn't survived to tell the story so there's the evidence.""

You should be alright with this :)

Reply to this Topic
Zoggthefantastic

Sep 11

Here's a post that actually answers the question

Financial incentive is always good, as in you could say you'll help him out with the cost as long as it's not a sports. I have to say, having passed my test not long ago and bought an xj6n it's plenty fast enough, and it's been good to get used to ovvertaking and cornering without having my observations hampered by a hunched riding position. A faired 600 like a a diversion, er6f, cbr600f or a suzuki gsx650f might be a good compromise.

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle