Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/you answer: How can I convince my son his first 'proper' bike shouldn't be a sports 600?

My son understandably wants to get the fastest, coolest bike he can when he graduates from his 33bhp bike, but I feel strongly this is a bad idea, based at least in part of my own experiences of being a young lad. But if I really push it, the more he'd want it. What's the best approach? Your advice could help. Leave...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:44)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jahagon

Mar 10

jahagon says:

A question of character

In my humble opinion it comes down to cost. Extoll the virtues of good fuel economy, long service intervals and cheaper insurance. Arguably it doesn't matter what 'first big bike' he gets, he'll still be many times faster than his mates in their clapped-out superminis, and pay less fo his insurance, road tax, MOT and services. Also: my first big bike was a Moto Guzzi 1100 California, am I a strange kid?

Reply to this Topic
rockabillyboy

Sep 10

Apart from the obvious comment - the throttle works both ways ! . And  making sure he has had some good training , and trying to plant some common sense , there is not a lot you can  do , you can"t wrap them in cotton wool and any travelling by road has a element of danger . God knows what our mother thought when we went out on our bikes years ago . No helmets , we only wore them in extreme bad weather , maintainance was sub standard , tyres iffy and all our mates started on big bikes with "L" plates , my oldest brother on a 1000 Vincent with L "s   the only advantage was the traffic was extremely  light . All  lads who are into bikes will want the coolest , best looking bike no matter where they are on the biking ladder , and there is not a lot of difference between 600 sports bikes in looks to something [slightly] less pokey ! . Most  middle -weight stuff now will easily top 110 - 120 it"s just a question of "how it gets there " . Some sensible riding buddies is the way to go , or the prospective riders Dad , if he rides even better , till he gets some experience .

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices