Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Are track days too intimidating for new riders? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Are track days too intimidating for new riders?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Are track days too intimidating for new riders?

I want to ride on track but I'm not that experienced and I've heard it's all track bikes and tyre warmers these days. I'm nervous enough about it already, should I just give up on the idea of trying my road bike on a track? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question?...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Pick your track day

It is true that many trackdays have changed from the old adage of taking road bikes to the track to see what they'll do. There are however a few trackdays more tailored for road bikes. Look around for novice trackdays or trackdays that don't allow tyre warmers etc. Some publications (eg Practical Sportsbikes) arrange track day for road biased machines.

Also try to make sure that any trackday you do isn't immediately before a race meet at that track. Many riders will use the trackday as extra setup time. SOme tracks not generally frequented by the national race series might be worth considering (eg Bedford Autodrome etc)

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Try to choose

a sessioned track day - split groups - novices, intermediate and expert. Start the day at the back of the novice group and see where the day takes you? Always take on board the advice given at the start of day briefing.

Reply to this Topic
Boult

Mar 07

Boult says:

Try to choose

a sessioned track day - split groups - novices, intermediate and expert. Start the day at the back of the novice group and see where the day takes you? Always take on board the advice given at the start of day briefing.

Reply to this Topic
gooutgrinning

Mar 11

Don't be nervous

Did my first track day a year ago at Snetterton 300. Not a lot of riding experience - passed my test in 2007 and was 66 years old last year when I had that first day on a race track (and my first ride on a superbike). I rode a GSXR 1000 K7 full race bike for the day. Did another day a few months late, also at Snett, but this time in the rain (on race wets), and another at Silverstone. Both on the same, very fast, machine. What a blast! The days are so well run that you will feel safe in the Novice group. I did not feel at all intimidated. So just do it. It does not matter how fast you go and you will be a much better rider after the experience. Just make sure you are patient and get your tyres warm before using all the power!

Reply to this Topic
discopants

Aug 02

discopants says:

Yes a lot of people run track bikes and tyre warmers, I don't I run my 10 year old gsxr600 road bike and usually run towards the front of the inters group... a trackdays just an opportunity to ride your bike without gatsos, cars, diesel spills etc, you don't have to ride like rossi just coz your on a track. Book yourself into novice, you won't be the slowest you won't be the fastest, its not a race it doesn't matter :)

good advice here:  http://www.fastbikesmag.com/fastbikes-forum/showthread.php?t=662

Reply to this Topic
fazermanvfr

Mar 12

fazermanvfr says:

hopp rider training

try something like HOPP RIDER TRAINING its a bit stricter you can only pass on the straights but its good for a first attempt lincoln police run bikesafe courses through these at cadwell but you need to get in early cos places are limited its only half a day but a good ice breaker

Reply to this Topic
Kevlincoln

Mar 09

Kevlincoln says:

track days

Would agree with most of comments already but suggest going with someone whos been before if possible.  Pick the novice group - its not a race - if Organisers offer free guidance use it - cant believe how many riders dont.  Its meant to be fun so go with the right attitude - dont be put off by flash bikes etc just enjoy the show while you re not riding.  Take loads of water - I usually drink about 4 litres on a day - you need to stay fresh & Hydrated.  Dont eat too much - at lunch time - you will feel sleepy.  There is loads of advice out there - whatever you do just do it - its a brilliant day out & you will want to go again.  Oh & pick a small & maybe slower track such as Mallory (not too much too learn) or Cadwell (Fun however fast you go) - Best thing I ever did

Reply to this Topic
Kevlincoln

Mar 09

Kevlincoln says:

track days

Would agree with most of comments already but suggest going with someone whos been before if possible.  Pick the novice group - its not a race - if Organisers offer free guidance use it - cant believe how many riders dont.  Its meant to be fun so go with the right attitude - dont be put off by flash bikes etc just enjoy the show while you re not riding.  Take loads of water - I usually drink about 4 litres on a day - you need to stay fresh & Hydrated.  Dont eat too much - at lunch time - you will feel sleepy.  There is loads of advice out there - whatever you do just do it - its a brilliant day out & you will want to go again.  Oh & pick a small & maybe slower track such as Mallory (not too much too learn) or Cadwell (Fun however fast you go) - Best thing I ever did

Reply to this Topic
Kevlincoln

Mar 09

Kevlincoln says:

track days

Reply to this Topic
steveingle82

Jun 06

steveingle82 says:

Race School first

Get yourself along to a race school like Ron Haslam before taking your own bike on a track day. Makes a huge difference to your first track day on your own bike as much more confident, and faster!

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices