Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: Are track days too intimidating for new riders? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: Are track days too intimidating for new riders?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: Are track days too intimidating for new riders?

I want to ride on track but I'm not that experienced and I've heard it's all track bikes and tyre warmers these days. I'm nervous enough about it already, should I just give up on the idea of trying my road bike on a track? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question?...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:45)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
yammy7r

Apr 09

yammy7r says:

Try

a taster session first they are only 20 quid for about 15 to 20 mins, if you get on ok with that go for the novice session for about 50 quid there are no hero's here most are first timers like yourself, paying for a race school could be a waste off money, you might not like it, but if you do you will be back for more

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

You Will Learn

You will learn a lot from a proper track school that will apply to all riding. If it is a waste of money, it is because it is a badly run school, not because the rider will not be doing regular track days or racing.

Reply to this Topic
npcronin

Nov 10

npcronin says:

Track V’s Road

Once you have been on one you will see.... Go to a race school or at least get some 1-1 tuition. All I can say is it is safer than the roads these days...

Reply to this Topic
mickgsxr

Apr 12

mickgsxr says:

Not intimidating!

Echoing the comments below - go into the Novice group, relax and get progressively faster during the day / half-day.  It's a great way to learn more about you and your bike.  Do drink loads of water, don't be afraid to skip a session if you are feeling tired, try and go with a mate but don't race them!  I found Focused Events to be very well-run and their instructors are good.  I would also recommend getting the Simon Crafar Motovudu DVD and/or book as it tells you how to get the best out of a track day and has tips on how to prepare.

Reply to this Topic
vikinglenn

Aug 07

vikinglenn says:

I use my road bike....

Just Do it. You will love it and wish you'd done it sooner.  You'll be too focused on what you're doing to care about anyone else or what they're riding, plus the race bikes will be in a different group.

The marshall's are there to help so ask as many questions as you like, and as previously mentioned, if they offer free guidance take them up on it, they know what they're talking about when it comes to body position, braking markers ect. Once again - You will love it.

Reply to this Topic
bigfoot68

Feb 09

bigfoot68 says:

Spoilt it

Massively annoyed on my 1st track day.  The instructors decided the novice group was an unmissable ego opportunity to burn up their paying customers.  Go to tip in and there's a dickhead instructor there cutting across your line.  Difference in speed just made this an accident waiting to happen.  Ended up shoulder checking before turning so didn't get the most out of the day.  Guess I should have said something but their whole gang were a bit stroppy anyway.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices