Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

My mates are way faster than me and I scare myself keeping up. I want to ride with them but this isn't fun. What do I do? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it. Other questions Are track days too intimidating for new riders? Answer here. How can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
ERP30

Apr 06

ERP30 says:

Crazy

Ignore their fast pace and take your time or you will be six feet under before you know it... Honestly please take your time ... Enjoy your own pace and what's comfortable for you...:ph43r:

[This Reply has been modified by the Author]

Reply to this Topic
spondonste

Aug 02

spondonste says:

Suggestions

If they're real friends at the very least they'll stop at junctions to let you know where they're going. Don't ride outside of your comfort bracket to keep up with others. Arrange to meet up at the destination if more realistic and go at your own pace or see if some of them will moderate there riding from time to time (they can then take it in turns to blat off). I sometimes ride with other riders and occasionally have to moderate my riding slightly so they can keep up in those circumstances (they're not so comfortable in the corners).

Reply to this Topic
Rogerborg

Sep 09

Rogerborg says:

Carry a top box full of ice

Their kidney and pancreas are the obvious money spinners, but don't overlook the endocrinal glands, if you want to go digging a bit deeper.

Reply to this Topic
sack1

Aug 02

sack1 says:

Relax

We've all been there. For enjoyment of the ride as well as your own safety it's important you stay within your comfort zone. As stated, if they were real friends they should allow for your relaxed pace and at least let you know the direct they are riding beforehand. It may help to have them relax their pace to closer suit yours which may be beneficial to you all?

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Trade

in the Harley for a S1000RR ;-

Reply to this Topic
davdamos

Feb 08

davdamos says:

either...

Ask them to ride a bit slower so you're all together, take advanced training to further develop your skills, or swap for slower friends. I'm on my first bike, its a slow 125 and I have no biker friends, so you're in a better position than me already, just enjoy it :-)

Reply to this Topic
mattofasto

Aug 02

mattofasto says:

I'd agree with the other comments. Never, ever go over your limits trying to keep up. One mistake and you could be dead, and take someone else with you too. Running wide on the road is serious, unlike on the track where you can normally get away with it. I would practice leaning over more and increasing your confidence at cornering by using large, open roundabouts in quiet periods. You can still only use this increased corner speed when you can see the road ahead. Never assume you know what's around the blind bend - if it's covered in mud, or it tightens up, or there's a traffic queue, you're stuffed. Just relax, enjoy the road at 70% of your abilities, and book some track days to fulfill your need for speed.

Reply to this Topic
mattofasto

Aug 02

mattofasto says:

Stay cool

I'd agree with the other comments. Never, ever go over your limits trying to keep up. One mistake and you could be dead, and take someone else with you too. Running wide on the road is serious, unlike on the track where you can normally get away with it. I would practice leaning over more and increasing your confidence at cornering by using large, open roundabouts in quiet periods. You can still only use this increased corner speed when you can see the road ahead. Never assume you know what's around the blind bend - if it's covered in mud, or it tightens up, or there's a traffic queue, you're stuffed. Just relax, enjoy the road at 70% of your abilities, and book some track days to fulfill your need for speed.

Reply to this Topic
ccarrera42

May 10

ccarrera42 says:

Just ride for yourself, don't feel like you have to keep up with the pack, it's not a race.

As long as your enjoying the the ride that's all that counts, as you get to know the roads you can start to work on your cornering and increasing your speed but do it at your own pace, not your friends.

Reply to this Topic
gooutgrinning

Mar 11

Do a track day

Get your mates together and all of you book a track day. Get some on-track tuition while there. Then see how fast each of you is. Chances are you will be the one who doesn't crash! And you will all learn that the only place to ride fast with other bikes is on a race track - not the road.

Reply to this Topic

Page

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices