Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

My mates are way faster than me and I scare myself keeping up. I want to ride with them but this isn't fun. What do I do? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it. Other questions Are track days too intimidating for new riders? Answer here. How can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
jekyllandhyde

Apr 10

take it easy

Everyone is right. Riding is about enjoying the experience, not proving anything. I have done both riding above my ability to keep up and riding slowly for others to keep up. It is very easy in the second case to establish a series of catch-up points. We often wait at roundabouts and junctions, where we are out of the way for people who get left behind for whatever reason. Even fast riders can get stuck behind a Sunday-driver who appreciates the scenery more than the biker behind eager to get on his way. Also, with some of my friends, I have decided simply not to go out with them as they go too fast. Riding in a risky way is like playing Russian roulette. There is never a guarantee that there is nothing around the next corner or that there isn't a new pothole or an oil patch or even gravel where you least expect it. On the road you should never be at more than 75% of your ability. The best limitations on the road are in your own head. Ride safley, mate....

Reply to this Topic
bazz85uk

Sep 10

bazz85uk says:

i think stoner said it best to rossi " your ambition outweighed your talent" when he took him of in jerez!? ride within your limits and dont over do it on the roads, leave it too the race tracks.

Reply to this Topic
tractorboybig

Nov 10

Ride as fast as you feel safe. only do what you are comfortable with, if they leave you behind, well let them go.

Us old bikers are the clever ones, we have got here.

Reply to this Topic
AdieR

Apr 08

AdieR says:

To be honest

I find it easier going out on my own - that way I can do my own thing without having a load of peer pressure encouraging me into situations I can't handle.

Most bikes are far more capable than the human sat on top; I recall a story some time back about a lad who went out with a group who weren't his usual crew.One of those crew had just bought a brand-new Ducati with a five-figure price tag, went round a bend too fast, and chucked it down the road on either his first or second outing with it. He survived, but the bike was a write-off and he had 3rd party only insurance cover. So he's paying finance for several years on a bike thats in a scrapyard.

My advice is either go out on your own and at your own pace, or find better mates who'll take it steadier: if you're getting scared trying to keep up, your mind isn't on your riding as it should be, and if your mind isn't on it, it'll only result in a catastrophe and a KSI statistic.

Reply to this Topic
weetonypaul

Mar 09

weetonypaul says:

This is an easy one!  " Find some slower mates! "    " SIMPLES! "

Reply to this Topic
fazermanvfr

Mar 12

fazermanvfr says:

training

Get some advanced training and youll soon build up your speed its not neccessarily about being fast but smooth and consistent maximising what youve got £200 on the IAM will make you a lot quicker than £2000 in a tuning shop, Learn to read the road, use the vanishing point, take best lines for view, and forward plan to link bends better. also learn to transfer your weight to help bike move better- you dont neccessarily have to "hang" off but just leaning your upper body will help to keep the bike more up right. Also, make sure the bike is set up best for you, suspension and contol wise,you ll be suprised howmuch difference it can make being more comfortabel and more confident on what youve got, Have you got the right bike?you wont keep up with a gixxer 1000 on a bandit obviously and trying will tie it in knots but also if youre riding an R1 and are scared of the power or uncomfortable cos all your weight is on your arms you'll be slower than on a fazer 600 if that mkes you happier and comfier. I've just moved from a Fazer600 to a VFR800 and at the moment i feel slower cos I'm not comfy enough hopefully i can adapt but at the momment i know ive too much weight going through my arms and my kneck hurts because my head is lower and I'm having to hold it higher to see through the aperture in my helmet.  its not an embarrasment to admit you ve got the wrong bike and its an achievement to ride a "slower "bike faster than a "fast" bike. If your the slowest in the group then maybe you should be at the front so the others run to your pace fast riders are better at the back so they can handle diminishing spaces and play catch up (it can actually be quite fun in this position for this reason) in a large group think about using "drop off system" where the person behind the leader marks a corner until tailman comes through then drops in next to back and new second place man marks next corner and so on. The main thing is STAY SAFE - DONT TRY TO DO SOMETHING YOU CANT and ride as much as possible to just practise

Reply to this Topic
fazermanvfr

Mar 12

fazermanvfr says:

training

Get some advanced training and youll soon build up your speed its not neccessarily about being fast but smooth and consistent maximising what youve got £200 on the IAM will make you a lot quicker than £2000 in a tuning shop, Learn to read the road, use the vanishing point, take best lines for view, and forward plan to link bends better. also learn to transfer your weight to help bike move better- you dont neccessarily have to "hang" off but just leaning your upper body will help to keep the bike more up right. Also, make sure the bike is set up best for you, suspension and contol wise,you ll be suprised howmuch difference it can make being more comfortabel and more confident on what youve got, Have you got the right bike?you wont keep up with a gixxer 1000 on a bandit obviously and trying will tie it in knots but also if youre riding an R1 and are scared of the power or uncomfortable cos all your weight is on your arms you'll be slower than on a fazer 600 if that mkes you happier and comfier. I've just moved from a Fazer600 to a VFR800 and at the moment i feel slower cos I'm not comfy enough hopefully i can adapt but at the momment i know ive too much weight going through my arms and my kneck hurts because my head is lower and I'm having to hold it higher to see through the aperture in my helmet.  its not an embarrasment to admit you ve got the wrong bike and its an achievement to ride a "slower "bike faster than a "fast" bike. If your the slowest in the group then maybe you should be at the front so the others run to your pace fast riders are better at the back so they can handle diminishing spaces and play catch up (it can actually be quite fun in this position for this reason) in a large group think about using "drop off system" where the person behind the leader marks a corner until tailman comes through then drops in next to back and new second place man marks next corner and so on. The main thing is STAY SAFE - DONT TRY TO DO SOMETHING YOU CANT and ride as much as possible to just practise

Reply to this Topic
jedspink

Feb 05

jedspink says:

Re-group and training..

Two things, one for group riding, the other to get your riding a bit faster... 1. When we do a group ride out the fast guys go ahead, so they get their kicks, and then wait at a roundabout, junction or end of road for those that are slower. Everyone also always knows the final destitation. Therefore there is no pressure for the less fast guys to keep up - which as others have said is a recipe for disaster. 2. Get some advanced training. The IAM courses are very cheap and teach you a lot about road-positioning etc. If you are not confident and comfortable on the bike this only slows you more, so this training should hopefully get you more confident and relaxed (remember your body forms part of the whole setup of the bike - body rigid and going round corners feels bad). 3. Concentrate on some of the basics: a. Type pressures - makes sure these are correct on your bike. My mate went out once with 22psi in the back (as he found out later) and couldn't figure out why his bike handled like a block of wood. b. Counter-steering: learn what this means and how to do it. Plenty on Google / Youtube. It's the best way to get around a corner and probably the best thing if a bend tightens. c. Move your weight to the inside of the bike for corners. Hanging off may be extreme but get some weight off to the inside. d. Vanishing point: Essential trick for faster road riding. What is the next bend going to do? If you understand and use the vanishing point you can react appropriately, accelerate with confidence that the bend is opening etc. Again Youtube and Google are you friend. HTH Jed

Reply to this Topic
firkit

Apr 05

firkit says:

Get there

You go as fast or slow as you want it's not a race just go out and enjoy and ride with in your own limits

Reply to this Topic
nigelcollinson

Aug 11

Nothing!

That's not even a sensible question, now is it?

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle

Motorcycle pricing tool

New! Find used bike prices