Skip to content

Discuss This You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

You ask/You answer: My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

My mates are way faster than me and I scare myself keeping up. I want to ride with them but this isn't fun. What do I do? Your advice could help. Leave a comment below and we'll publish the best in MCN. Got a question? Click here to submit it. Other questions Are track days too intimidating for new riders? Answer here. How can...

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:48)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

i agree with all the posts, if you want to sharpen you balance skills/feel/reflexes get a pushbike (bicycle) out, this will also increase your fitness levels, it will also work all the right muscle groups,  and make your arse hard so your motorbike seat will feel like an armchair.  On another point a faster rider in a group should always look after slower riders, if a slower riding is hanging onto his shirt tails then they should gap them by large enough distance so they are riding on they own before picking up the pass, like on the exit of a corner not on the entry or under braking into a corner.

Reply to this Topic
mchale2020

Apr 12

mchale2020 says:

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast

Don't worry about the other riders' speeds. Speaking from experience, they probably don't care about your well being and will probably force you into a nasty situation if you try and keep up. The best thing to do is just go at a comfortable pace and emphasize good riding habits on the way. Considering 99.9% of us aren't WSBK immortals, the sooner you accept the fact that you are 'slow', the sooner you can start learning how to ride better which is more important anyway. Take for instance when entering a corner. If you enter a turn at a rapid speed that makes you nervous, you're not going to give yourself enough time to settle the rear suspension with the throttle, which is the foundation of proper cornering. What's going to happen is the weight transfer is skewered and your front end is going to push out and make you run wide mid-corner and possibly into oncoming traffic. That's assuming you're still looking in the proper direction of the turn, which is unlikely if your nerves are shot. The easiest way to fix that isn't with an expensive Ohlins shock are cartridge kits for your forks but to retry the corner 10-15 mph slower upon entry than what you were doing. You'll have more time to get focused and with a little practice you'll establish a mental link from your brain, to your wrist, to the rear tire and you'll double your riding confidence. Taking this kind of skill set to a track day and working with the right instructor is extremely rewarding, and eventually you'll forget all about the people who left you for dead in pursuit of trivial egos, that is until they stuff you in a corner to try and intimidate your proficient but humble new found attitude. That can really throw a wrench in your mental cogs. Just take baby steps and pay attention to all the signs your bike is telling you along the way. If you keep at it, you will improve!

Reply to this Topic
skidoff

Dec 10

skidoff says:

Dont try to keep if it scares you.  

I use to go out riding with a ex- superstock rider. couldnt keep up without crapping myself. So i ride at my own pace.   Thats when most accidents happen riding out of you limit.  Try doing some trackdays its well worth it.  And get some new riding mates who ride at a sensible pace.     

Reply to this Topic
skidoff

Dec 10

skidoff says:

Dont try to keep if it scares you.  

I use to go out riding with a ex- superstock rider. couldnt keep up without crapping myself. So i ride at my own pace.   Thats when most accidents happen riding out of you limit.  Try doing some trackdays its well worth it.  And get some new riding mates who ride at a sensible pace.     

Reply to this Topic
nigel966

Jun 09

nigel966 says:

My mates are way faster than me. What do I do?

What you don't do is try to keep up if it is beyond your capabilities. If you ride at your own pace and enjoy the ride then whats the problem. If they cant wait for you then surely they cant be that much of a mate. I go on ride outs with all sorts of bikes and riders. We agree at the start to ride at our own pace and organise routine stops to all catch up. It means everyone can have a good time whatever their speed.

Reply to this Topic
dsriley

Aug 11

dsriley says:

First of all never ride outside your comfort zone, you will have an accident. if your so called mates all take off and leave you behind then they're not really your mates, try telling them you have problems keeping up, ask them for their help and advice, if that dont get you anywhere you can always get help from a rider training school or do a bike safe course or better still take an IAM course, dont be embarrassed to ask for help, it could save your life Your mates might tell you its boring but believe me its not, you'll get some brilliant advice, some great training all done in a friendly no pressure way at you own pace and at the end of it you;ll be a better, safer rider and you'll get tons more pleasure from your bike and when you go on an IAM ride out you wont be left behind. The other plus side is you'll make new biking mates who really will be your mates...

Reply to this Topic
OxonJohn

Jun 09

OxonJohn says:

Riding with mates

I stopped riding in groups years ago. It's too bloody dangerous. Too many people want to show the world what brilliant riders they are (yeah, right) and end up hurting themselves and others.

Find a couple of guys who enjoy riding for the same reasons you do, and at the same pace as you. They almost certainly won't be sport bike riders.

Reply to this Topic
happylemon666

Mar 10

Faster than me!

When my mate used to ride, he was a lot faster than me, mostly due to experience. I don't mind admitting it though. I took training and got better, but my mate was still faster, and probably always would have been till he sold his bike to settle down etc. But I always remind him of a time in the alps when he went tearing off ahead of me, until on one ascent he was about 2 bends infront, till he fell off getting his knee down on some poor surface with some loose stuff. Had to sit for hours waiting to get picked up.... So advice wise, just go at what you're comfortable at (I still do). Training is well worth it too. Avoid huge groups. Your mate should know he's faster, so if he does bugger off and then not wait - he ain't your mate!

Reply to this Topic
stevecase

Aug 02

stevecase says:

Got one mate who's way faster than me, but the downside is he takes far more risks than me. Since he is a mate I would hold back until he chills a bit then I could enjoy the ride.

If he wasn't a friend I'd just do enough to stay in sight and he'd either bugger off or fall off! Guess how much I'd care about either!

Reply to this Topic
venturer

Jan 04

venturer says:

Well don't start cut corners trying to keep up, in fact if you can't get round the corner only using your side of the road then you don't have the skills required to get round the corner, you can tell when someone is going faster than they can ride because they start cutting over the white lines through lots of bends and or start going onto the wrong side of the road to get a racing line, But on the other hand it so funny when they go to cut a corner and there is a car coming the other way and you see them panic braking and getting all out of shape. So stay on your side of the road and stay safe.  

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle