Skip to content

Discuss This Poll: Has the BMW R1200GS had its day? General news

You are in... Forums > Discuss This > General news > Poll: Has the BMW R1200GS had its day?

This is a discussion topic

This discussion topic is linked to an article on this site. You can navigate to the article by clicking on the article name in the first post.

Go to most recent reply

Anonymous

MCN  says:

Poll: Has the BMW R1200GS had its day?

With the Triumph Explorer 1200 performing well in tests and the GS finally looking not just outgunned but possibly out-funned by rivals, is it time to conclude the bike firm which started the class has had its day at its forefront? pollcomment

Reply to this Topic  
  • Posted 3 years ago (03 April 2012 11:55)

Post a message in General news

Fields marked with an asterisk * are required

Please note. You cannot submit more than 4000 characters as a message.

Upload image(s) from your computer (up to 3 images)

Terms of use

Use of our community areas and forums is subject to important terms of use. By joining our community and using the features you agree to be bound by these terms. See terms of use below. 

Cancel
gravelrash

Aug 02

gravelrash says:

In a word No! For exactly the same reason that Harley didn't suffer when the Japanese started making V-Twin cruiser clones. Yes they were cheaper, faster, better finished and probably more reliable BUT they weren't Harleys, they lacked the history, tradition and development that made Harleys distinctive and desirable.

Triumph have produced what I am sure will be a fast comfortable road bike but it is not a GS and you will not see many Explorers overlanding through Africa or crossing the Russian steppes (apart from the fact that the handbook will insist it is washed after every ride to stay within the warranty conditions).   Yes it will be quicker than the GS with its over the top 137bhp but that misses the point, it is heavier and it will be thirsty and it does not have 30 years of heritage, tradition and development behind it which is important to many people's buying decisions just as it is for people who buy HDs.

I wish Triumph well with the new bike and every success for the future but don't write off the GS, it's already beaten off a load of pretenders to its crown (Stelvio, Multistrada, Super Ten etc) and when the new water cooled boxer comes out I am sure it will raise the bar once more.

Reply to this Topic
preunit

Dec 10

preunit says:

Hopefully

as they take up far to much space in designated bike parking, but are never seen in

the "outback".

Reply to this Topic
X2Glider

May 10

X2Glider says:

No

The BMW still has features available that others do not offer yet.  The GS is a very refined package and considering the numbers they sell, they are quite reliable.  You do have to take proper care of them like any other bike.  I put on 200,000 miles between my GS and S and the only problem I ever had was a leaky clutch slave on the S.  I've had more trouble already with my Kawi Z1000SX the past 5 months.

While the Trumpet will sell, it isn't quite up to the full featured refinement of the GS yet.  Maybe in a year or 2.  The bikes that are taking GS sales away are the KTM but only for the crowd who really want to ride a little rougher and the new Multi for the crowd who know they will not go off road and do want more sport...much more.  But the truth is GS sales really aren't hurting that badly because of them.  The people that bought the KTM or Multi wouldn't have bought the BMW anyway even if the KTM and multi never existed.  Case in point, the Super Ten is selling but very slowly here.  Looks good but is heavy and reliability isn't proven yet.

Anyone who wants a comfortable all rounder that can also drag valve covers in the twisties knows the GS has paid it's dues and does what it is designed to do very well...a little bit of everything, even fully loaded.

My longest stint on the GS is 13,000 miles in 3 weeks...85% on road, 15% going places I would normally ride the CRF450X ... just quite a bit slower.  Didn't worry 1 minute of any day.

The GS will still be viable for the future.  Water cooled will appease those who think 110 HP is not enough for this kind of bike.  I forsee 130 HP and an engine that is still useable across the revs everywhere.

Reply to this Topic
Banzai600

Feb 06

Banzai600 says:

Just maybe......

I dunno, it will always be a good seller. BUT, its way to picey in my opinion. Smae old rehas with the GS, give ppl something completely new for a change.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

Crank Orientation

Other current motorcycles with longitudinally oriented cranks are the Honda ST1300 Pan European and Triumph Rocket III.

Reply to this Topic
Piglet2010

Oct 11

Piglet2010 says:

What I Want

Is an updated Honda Africa Twin.

I would buy a F800GS or even a G650GS Sertao before the R1200GS. The R bikes are simply too large for serious off-road use, and why bother with an AT bike if it won’t go places my Honda Deauville can’t?

Reply to this Topic
Andy949494

Feb 08

Andy949494 says:

Its just a good bike...

Rode one a month or so ago when my F800S went in for a service. I agree its not even a green laning bike for anyone under six foot 4 or so (I'm 5 foot 9 and used the low seat) but its a real good touring bike and very similar in engine character to the Deau (I have had two) - although it is quite a bit faster it sounds similar and has the same sort of power curve. Its very comfortable and gives a really good riding position, very commanding view and is really easy to ride slowly around town etc (like a deau). It does crusing about enjoying the sun, blasting around at high speed and touring very well. I don't need a bike to be faster although ironically i wouldn't have minded a bit more character (I found it a bit too smooth!) and I struggle with its looks from the front. Insurance cost on new bikes is increasingly becoming an issue (try in the real world getting a quote for a FZ8 let alone a Multistrada!) but the R1200 series is still reasonable. I just wish I had the money...

Reply to this Topic
piroflip

Jul 10

piroflip says:

I wouldn't have a Triumph for free.

Reply to this Topic
cmc1

May 08

cmc1 says:

What?

Really MCN?

Are you in some sort of partnership with Triumph?

The GS has been around for years and the new Triumph not even a couple of months! 

Why not get a new Triumph ( I am sure they will sort you one out) and a new GS, given them to a non bias  off road nut who can mix it up on a track too, put 10K on each and see then if the GS has had it's day.

Then, change the rating in your motorcycle reviews accordingly as you currently give it full marks. Can you go from full marks to 'had it's day' ?

Reply to this Topic
lpgpro

Feb 12

lpgpro says:

The GS did not achieve its iconic status because there was no competition to compare against, it got it by being a bllody good bike. I know where my money would go.

Reply to this Topic

Compare Insurance

Save money by comparing quotes. It's quick and easy

Motorcycles for sale

It's only £13.99 to advertise your motorcycle on MCN

Sell your Motorcycle